3rd Trimester
Options

Wet nurse anyone?

So I just learned that you can buy and sell breast milk and that an acquaintance sells hers because she produces so much. That surprised me and I googled it out of curiosity and found a site where you can buy and sell milk and was more surprised to find a link that sets people up with wet nurses. None of the above is my thing, but I was just curious if anyone out there would get a wet nurse or be one? I didn't know that was still done.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wet nurse anyone?

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that you could donate it for sick babies. That's probably the furthest I would go. If a mom wants it to help her sick newborn, that's her decision. Just buying it or hiring a wet nurse is a different story to me. 

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I donated all my left over breastmilk to a mom with a sick baby and who couldn't produce her own. I'm not sure I personally would have accepted milk from a stranger but I was happy to give it to somebody who wanted it badly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can also sell it to body builders for more $$$;)

imageimage
  • Options

I donated over 6,000oz of breastmilk to a sweet, sick boy while EPing for my DS.  There is no way I'd ever sell it when I know there are sweet babies in need.

I plan on donating again.

Wow! Great!
    I ebf'd DD and could only pump a date night extra a week. Good for you! You should do a supply tip thread:)

imageimage
  • Options

I have donated milk before when I had a bigger supply. I'll probably donate again when my supply goes up after baby is born.

I would buy breast milk to feed LO before I would use formula.

• Options
    I've jokingly considered becoming a wet nurse to keep my larger breast.....
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options
    I wouldn't have any issue donating milk or having/being a wet nurse. A lady at my mom's church nursed my brother because my mom had to stop nursing for a while and he was allergic to formula and milk. I would only sell it if times were that hard. I'd much rather just give it to people who need it.

imageLilypie - (jv05)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    You can also sell it to body builders for more $$$;)
    Awesome!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think it's awesome to donate to help sickly babies and new mommies. I won't be able to BF, but I am okay with formula although it wasn't my first choice.

My really question is who (else) would be or use a wet nurse? :)

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I would donate if I responded to a pump. And I would defiantly get donor milk before I would ever give my baby formula. (If I couldn't bf for some reason)
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Options
    I could never use a wet nurse. That seriously grosses me out. I know formula is horrible for babies, and luckily I was able to produce enough to feed my babies. I feel for the moms who cannot breastfeed, and I honestly think that if you have a surplus of milk, and someone wants or needs it, it should be donated. It kind of does bother me that people charge for it.
  • Options
    Some towns and city's have milk donations centers. They do screenings and testings to make sure you don't have diseases, but I think it's awesome. I would do it if I had an over supply.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• Options
    MrsMuq said:

I would donate if I responded to a pump. And I would defiantly get donor milk before I would ever give my baby formula. (If I couldn't bf for some reason)

I could never say "Oh I'd do donor milk over formula" if my only issue was that I had no BM supply. Formula isn't jet fuel. Plenty of babies survive and thrive on it. If wouldn't want to take donor milk away from a new mom who had a baby with serious health complications just so I could feed my LO BM.

Agree. BM is awesome, but formula is not the devil

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I don't trust people enough to have a wet nurse. However, I'd totally be one! I've been a nanny forever and if I was already nursing and someone asked, sure. I might use a trusted friend for a wet nurse if it came to that, but with formula I think it's kind if a dated concept. I certainly wouldn't pay someone to do it.

Not sure how I feel about selling/donating but I did know a chef who made yogurt and cheese out of his wife's. FYI they gave it to the kids.

• Options

I think it's no different that donating Blood, but I'm still not sure I'de do it myself. 

The whole wet nurse thing - I could see if a mother died in childbirth and father is on his own with a newborn, maybe in that case a wet nurse would be a good thing (terrible thought, but it could happen), or buying the milk.    I don't know if donation centers would allow someone who just didn't want to BF to recieve donated milk, so maybe those people have to buy it??

• Options
    I think it's awesome to donate to help sickly babies and new mommies. I won't be able to BF, but I am okay with formula although it wasn't my first choice.

My really question is who (else) would be or use a wet nurse? :)
    MrsMuq said:

I could never say "Oh I'd do donor milk over formula" if my only issue was that I had no BM supply. Formula isn't jet fuel. Plenty of babies survive and thrive on it. If wouldn't want to take donor milk away from a new mom who had a baby with serious health complications just so I could feed my LO BM.
    A zillion times this. Moms who use formula tend to be frowned on and it's so silly. Formula is fine for babies. Donating for sick babies is awesome. Other people's BM electively though creeps me out much less some random's teet in my kid's mouth. Cool if that's what you want to do, but it doesn't make those of us who aren't into it bad mothers.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MrsMuq said:

Formula isn't the devil, but I would never give it to my baby. IT is just not for my family. I would rather my baby not consume corn syrup solids or gmos.  

Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Options
    So is donated milk available to anyone? I thought it was something you had to qualify for.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Meery82 said:
    So is donated milk available to anyone? I thought it was something you had to qualify for.

There are groups like Eats on Feets that connect moms and donors. You can find them on Facebook. I donated a couple hundred ounces to a couple with an adopted baby. It's very rewarding.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"