2nd Trimester

Eat whatever you want...yeah, well i want ahi poke! (rant)

Everyone keeps telling me, enjoy this time, it's the only time in your life you get to eat whatever you want and not care.  Not true, there are so many things that we're not supposed to eat and it's killing me to not eat raw fish!  so i did it. i ate ahi poke and loved every bite! 

Secondly, i'm not that hungry.  Thirdly, when I look at the calorie increase for my height and exercise level, i'm only supposed to consume around 1800 calories a day in 2nd tri, i can't even eat enough to get there b/c of heartburn and a full feeling after just a few bites. Despite all this, i still managed to gain more than recommended...12lb so far and we're only supposed to gain 8lb by 17wk, right?

Anyone else experiencing this? Could it be that shorter women gain faster up front? Anyone else eating "prohibited" foods?

and...i'm only an "on the rare occasion" drinker, but i've been craving a cold beer, haven't had one, but i want it.

Re: Eat whatever you want...yeah, well i want ahi poke! (rant)

• Im not into the raw fish but I totally ate tuna, and deli meat wit a few glaring looks from my MIL and I didnt care I loved it. Oh and Hot dogs... so there.  :D
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ate ahi poke when we were in Maui a few weeks ago.  I didn't feel guilty.  Today I am craving white wine.  If we had some in the house I'd have a glass.  We don't and I know I'll get funny looks if I walk into the liquor store with my giant belly.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've eaten lots of raw food.  Sushi, caviar, oysters...I did refrain from the beef carpaccio with raw quail egg the other night though. :)  enjoy, and don't stress about the food OR the weight.
  • I think you are over-thinking this. ?I know you can read millions of things about what you should/shouldn't eat. ?But if you are just reasonable in what you eat, your baby will be just fine. ?Avoid the things that are very high risk (like alcohol, etc), and just eat the other things in moderation.

I had TWO tuna sandwiches this week....yes, TWO (even though I'm only supposed to have one serving of tuna per week). ?Considering I hardly ever eat fish, I figured it isn't that big of a deal.

?It is good to know what you may/may not have -- it is good to have that basic knowledge. ?But don't let it rule you or ruin your pregnancy. ?I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax a little. :0) ?Good luck!?

• I've eaten sushi about once a month, deli meats and feta cheese all in moderation and from reputable places, baby and I are doing fine :)
  • Shew! Thank you mommas, I feel better.  You're right, all in moderation is ok.
  • I've had sushi, though not for awhile. And I eat tuna about once a week - the benefits of eating fatty fish outweigh the risks of mercury for me. And deli meat, though I try to only get the hippie stuff from our local grocery store, or directly from the deli...though Jimmy John's is really good once in awhile, heh heh.

And I have hadhalf a beer with a meal once in awhile, but I really haven't been craving it as much as I did with DS. Now, sangria - that's another story. I have some seltzer water that's good to dilute it with. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• yeah i ate a piece of salmon sashimi and it was worth every forbidden bite. :) i wouldn't worry too much.. the chances are slim, but it's good to be cautious.
  • I had deli meat 2 times. I ate tuna quite a bit in the very beginning cause I didn't know we couldn't have it & it was the only thing that stayed down at that point.

If you crave beer, you can try a non-alcoholic one.. They are pretty gross to me but just a suggestion :) Also, seltzer is pretty good when you are craving a cold, carbonated beer :)

• I am the same way. Im actually going to be in Hawaii for 2 weeks and i  love me some poke, had a few pieces the other day at our local spot,and it was delicious. SO is it true we arent suppose to eat it? im already in 2nd trimester.

As for that cold one..so nice to know im not the only one, i have been craving that or a glass of caberbet for months...... i just keep thinking 19 more weeks! LOL

• I eat sushi semi-regularly while pregnant, I don't think it's any more dangerous than any other food you could consume.  It's probably safer than many.  They flash freeze the fish before they serve it, which kills bacteria.

I would think Japan would have a lot more issues with their pregnant woman and newborns if sushi were actually that big of a problem.

And as for alcohol, one drink on occasion in 2nd or 3rd tri is, in my non-medical opinion, just fine!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The risk of raw fish is if its contaminated. I think if you are eating it at a decent restaurant then I wouldn't worry. (I've also had an ahi poke or two ;) ). I have a few sips of wine here and there and *gasp* I even had a small glass on date night a couple of weeks ago.

re: beer - O'Douls with a lime sort of tastes like a corona if you completely forgot what corona tastes like :)

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I've had wine and raw tuna. Both were delicious.
  • Soap1 said:
    I would think Japan would have a lot more issues with their pregnant woman and newborns if sushi were actually that big of a problem.
    This! totally
  • The risk of raw fish is if its contaminated. I think if you are eating it at a decent restaurant then I wouldn't worry. (I've also had an ahi poke or two ;) ). I have a few sips of wine here and there and *gasp* I even had a small glass on date night a couple of weeks ago.

re: beer - O'Douls with a lime sort of tastes like a corona if you completely forgot what corona tastes like :)

A
    Not a bad recommendation. I forget what all beer tastes like.

This is what I was going to say as per the raw fish. From what I've studied, it seems it can only get you sick and not your LO? Your LO would just feel the effects of you getting sick should you throw up, become dehydrated, etc...
    Correct me if I'm wrong. An exception of course is listeria. 
    Two helpful links; 

VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For those of you who like sushi, what kinds would you recommend? Just before I found out I was pregnant I discovered my love for sushi, but the internet scared me away from fish after I found out I was pregnant. I know that fish with low mercury is alright and in moderation. DH and I just moved to Oahu and there are sushi places around EVERY corner, it's just depressing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yellow tail, salmon, ahi tuna....it's all good!

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• kt_arr said:
    For those of you who like sushi, what kinds would you recommend? Just before I found out I was pregnant I discovered my love for sushi, but the internet scared me away from fish after I found out I was pregnant. I know that fish with low mercury is alright and in moderation. DH and I just moved to Oahu and there are sushi places around EVERY corner, it's just depressing.
    I'm from the states so I can't give any good recommendations, but I like the raw tuna rolls. Eel is a very unique tasting meat that I feel like everyone should try at least once. I always liked the deep fried inside-out rolls, but again, my American is showing... :) Congrats on the move, enjoy!
    VOTE on my Name List
  • imakeeff0rtsimakeeff0rts member
    edited August 2013
    Yeah - you're WAY over thinking this. First, weight gain differs by person. It may be recommended for one person to gain 20 lbs., while it's recommended for another to gain 5. So, a general statement about how much weight you're all supposed to gain is inaccurate. Please don't compare your pregnancy to someone else's

Second, as long as you're using some common sense, there's nothing to worry about. Eat your fish, but if the restaurant seems sketchy, order something else.

As far as your appetite goes, I have the same problem. I eat a bowl of cereal and get full. It happens. As long as baby is getting what s/he needs and you're healthy, there's nothing to worry about.

Edited for typos.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• rowanthefrogrowanthefrog member
    edited August 2013
    kt_arr said:
    For those of you who like sushi, what kinds would you recommend? Just before I found out I was pregnant I discovered my love for sushi, but the internet scared me away from fish after I found out I was pregnant. I know that fish with low mercury is alright and in moderation. DH and I just moved to Oahu and there are sushi places around EVERY corner, it's just depressing.
    I just went and had sushi with my friends the other night. Honestly its all probably fine, but they also have a lot of cooked rolls. Shrimp tempura roll, anything with shrimp or tempura, is cooked. Any deep fried roll is cooked. Unagi (BBQ eel, sounds gross but is BEYOND delicious) is cooked. You can eat all of that without worry. The rest is also most likely fine, the issue is getting a bad piece of raw fish. In all my years of eating sushi, I have NEVER once gotten sick from eating raw fish. They have very high standards of preparation, storage and handling to prevent that!!

I'd probably not eat grocery store sushi, but if you are eating at a reputable place then you shouldn't have to worry.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I was devastated during my first pregnancy to hear no sushi - it's definitely my favorite food. Then I read this article from the new york times that said "Indeed, in Japan, eating raw fish is considered part of good neonatal nutrition." 

I did a lot of research on my own and decided it was totally fine for me. If you're ever worried you can stick to just vegetable or cooked rolls and always stick to a reputable restaurant. It's the same with wine. Some OB's say absolutely no alcohol during pregnancy, but others say a glass here and there is completely fine. Just do a little research and you'll make the right decision for yourself.

No matter where I go, the spicy tuna roll is always my favorite!
  • I've eaten my share of Salmon and tuna and even sushi (but I only ask for vegetable sushi) 
    I just tell the cook or my mother in law to just wash the fish really good and cook it till it's pretty well done lol 
    I try to be careful but when I crave for Salmon terriyaki or tune sub (from subway) I kinda give in lol they kinda are my favourite treat lol 
    DS - March 9th 2014 TTC #2 - May 2015 BFP - October 2015 EDD - July 7th 2016
  • I was told no soft cheeses which is what is the hardest thing for me. As far as sushi, I am too paranoid to partake in eating any raw fish, but I have found that getting vegetable rolls and tempura rolls satisfy my craving pretty well!

• Oh and I also wanted to comment on the alcohol/weight gain:

I allowed myself a very tiny glass of wine a few times toward the end of my pregnancy with my first. Surprisingly, even though I was carving it, it just really wasn't as good as I expected it to be when I allowed myself to have it. So I just figured it wasn't really worth it and stopped drinking it. You might find that if you indulge, it doesn't taste the same.

Also women distribute weight gain differently along the course of the pregnancy. With my first, I hardly gained a pound until I was about 28 weeks along, and it packed on rapidly towards the end. This time around, I'm gaining a pound or two every time I see the doctor, so it seems I'm going to gain more in the beginning than last time.

• I was told no soft cheeses which is what is the hardest thing for me. As far as sushi, I am too paranoid to partake in eating any raw fish, but I have found that getting vegetable rolls and tempura rolls satisfy my craving pretty well!

FWIW, unless you are shopping at a specialty cheese shop or getting it at a restaurant, most cheeses you purchase (including soft cheeses) are pasteurized so they are fine to eat.  

Yeah, I know....I cheat A LOT with this one!

• Don't stress and have some sushi and a glass of wine.  My doctor said it was absolutely fine in the 2nd and 3rd trimester to have one small glass of wine.  Don't know about beer, but it has less alcohol typically than wine so I don't see why a beer would hurt either.  

I had sushi almost once a month and was fine.  They did tell me though to avoid fish eggs because they contained a lot of mercury.  Other than that, indulge and don't feel guilty.  Who cares what others think?  They said the women eat sushi in Japan throughout their entire pregnancy.  I think we have gotten a little paranoid.  

My MIL was telling me a story that she didn't know she was pregnant for 5 months.  Never took pre-natal vitamins and drank all that time, in fact she said absolut and vodka LOL.  My husband is the most intelligent man I've ever met.   I'm not condoning this at all, but it is just an example.  I was shocked when she brought a bottle of champagne and poured me a glass to celebrate my pregnancy.  I guess back then they weren't as concerned. 
  • There is no rule on weight gain. Every doctor will tell you something different. I am pretty tall and thin 5'9 and 130 before pregnancy. Gained 45 with my last pregnancy and my doc didn't say a word! It was all in my belly. I say do what makes you happy. Only time in life you get to eat whatever. And as far as staying away from certain foods..yeah I don't do that this time. I eat what I want as long as I know it's a good place especially if we are talking sushi. Enjoy!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• mcgeeva said:
    There is no rule on weight gain. Every doctor will tell you something different. I am pretty tall and thin 5'9 and 130 before pregnancy. Gained 45 with my last pregnancy and my doc didn't say a word! It was all in my belly. I say do what makes you happy. Only time in life you get to eat whatever. And as far as staying away from certain foods..yeah I don't do that this time. I eat what I want as long as I know it's a good place especially if we are talking sushi. Enjoy!
    I was just at the OB two days ago and she said there is a rule and gaining more than 25-30 lbs is not good and can raise your blood pressure.  The more weight you gain, the harder it is to loose and the harder it is on your body.  She has also stated to me that the phrase "eating for two" should not be taken seriously and you should only add about 300 extra calories of lean proteins and healthy grains to your diet.  Sure I like to have ice cream after dinner or a donut on Sunday but to me at least less is more!  I wouldn't encourage anyone to gain extreme amounts of weight, it's always easier to put on than to take off. 
    Met DH: 2.5.2008
    Engaged: 4.9.11
    Married: 9.22.12
    Baby Girl J Born: 1.23.2014 via c section - Due with Baby #2: 5.27.2016
  • apostle85 said:
    mcgeeva said:
    There is no rule on weight gain. Every doctor will tell you something different. I am pretty tall and thin 5'9 and 130 before pregnancy. Gained 45 with my last pregnancy and my doc didn't say a word! It was all in my belly. I say do what makes you happy. Only time in life you get to eat whatever. And as far as staying away from certain foods..yeah I don't do that this time. I eat what I want as long as I know it's a good place especially if we are talking sushi. Enjoy!
    I was just at the OB two days ago and she said there is a rule and gaining more than 25-30 lbs is not good and can raise your blood pressure.  The more weight you gain, the harder it is to loose and the harder it is on your body.  She has also stated to me that the phrase "eating for two" should not be taken seriously and you should only add about 300 extra calories of lean proteins and healthy grains to your diet.  Sure I like to have ice cream after dinner or a donut on Sunday but to me at least less is more!  I wouldn't encourage anyone to gain extreme amounts of weight, it's always easier to put on than to take off. 
    First off to each their own! I'm not encouraging I am saying this is what happened to me. And unless you have been in my shoes you really shouldn't comment. I was on strict bedrest for 5 weeks unable to cook for myself etc. I was left with what I had all day and in that situation what do you do with yourself all day?? So I went a little bit over. I am just fine after my son came (lost my weight right away with walking daily and bfding thank you very much) and my weight gain had ZERO to do with Placenta abruption, pre-e and preterm labor. Just because you chose to be a stickler for dieting - doesn't mean you need to preach that to others as well. And like I said before every doctor will tell you something different. IF you yourself were super skinny before your doctor then will tell you to gain more then others. I think its fine to have everything in moderation but that doesn't mean someone can't have sweets everynight after dinner etc. Considering this is your first pregnancy - are you in a situation to preach to others? Let me guess - your that person that judges others for looking too fat or further along then they should? And lastly - the last person who made comments about what I ate during my last pregnancy  and not being able to lose the weight after - was overweight - had a child that was three years old - had ZERO right to judge.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• mcgeeva said:
    apostle85 said:
    mcgeeva said:
    First off to each their own! I'm not encouraging I am saying this is what happened to me. And unless you have been in my shoes you really shouldn't comment. I was on strict bedrest for 5 weeks unable to cook for myself etc. I was left with what I had all day and in that situation what do you do with yourself all day?? So I went a little bit over. I am just fine after my son came (lost my weight right away with walking daily and bfding thank you very much) and my weight gain had ZERO to do with Placenta abruption, pre-e and preterm labor. Just because you chose to be a stickler for dieting - doesn't mean you need to preach that to others as well. And like I said before every doctor will tell you something different. IF you yourself were super skinny before your doctor then will tell you to gain more then others. I think its fine to have everything in moderation but that doesn't mean someone can't have sweets everynight after dinner etc. Considering this is your first pregnancy - are you in a situation to preach to others? Let me guess - your that person that judges others for looking too fat or further along then they should? And lastly - the last person who made comments about what I ate during my last pregnancy  and not being able to lose the weight after - was overweight - had a child that was three years old - had ZERO right to judge.
    Just because you think there is no rule to weight gain, does not mean you need to preach that to others as well. Your first line of your previous post was doing exactly that.

I think we should all consider the doctor's word over this ridiculous proclamation.

Oh, and in regards to your statement "Let me guess - you're* that person that judges blah blah blah blah blah" -- 
    It honestly sounds like you're in a bitchy mood and need to come down off your high horse.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • @apostle85 The amount a woman gains during pregnancy is at the discretion of her OB/nutritionist. You cannot say 25-30 lbs is not good for every woman, that may just not be good for you. My OB referred me to a nutritionist immediately. I weighed 92 lbs at conception. For this reasoning, I was urged and instructed to gain 35-40 lbs. I have gained 37 so I'm happy, but they'd like me to be a little more. I was low BMI which is a dangerous risk for PTL. So, no, saying it's not ok for every woman to gain 25-30 lbs is also not factual, that just may be true for some. The rest of your post seems correct though. I'm on board with donuts now and then :)

Saying there is no rule to weight gain is also preposterous; I'm calling out the previous poster for that claim.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Look I was in a bad mood I just had someone tell me I looked bigger then I should be so talking about weight is a touchy subject. I am not saying ignore doctors orders I'm saying everyone's doctor based on their situation will tell them what is good for them. That is all so I take back gain what you want. I just don't want people to feel as if they have to be starving all the time because they are trying to stick to what everyone else says is right but may not be right for them.

• Maybe I should have said, follow your doctors orders on weight gain.  I would also like to point out that I don't judge anyone who is pregnant, I have 5 friends who are pregnant right now, all different shapes and sizes and some are high risk.  That being said, I'm also not offended by the earlier rant. 
    Met DH: 2.5.2008
    Engaged: 4.9.11
    Married: 9.22.12
    Baby Girl J Born: 1.23.2014 via c section - Due with Baby #2: 5.27.2016
  • Thanks. Bad day and I went off. Super sensitive about weight lately and dot want others to feel that way when this is suppose to be a special time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"