High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Feeling hopeless GD

So I'm on day 3 of my gestational diabetes diet. Today I got my meter and my numbers were good all day til after dinner. I did exactly what I was told. They were 136 and I guess we are suppose to be 130. Prior to that I had been starving most of the day. No matter what I ate it didn't curb my appetite. I'm so overwhelmed and feeling defeated. I'm extremely worried about insulin. I don't know if I could do that. Anyway just needed to vent. This is scary and I just want to eat whatever I want!!! Thanks for listening

Re: Feeling hopeless GD

• Options
    It's definitely overwhelming, but it does get better as you track and figure out your triggers. I'm three weeks in and feel much better about it than the first three days. But today was tough because I felt less control. Tomorrow is a new day though. Hang in there and take care of yourself!

• Options
    Hang in there. It took me about two weeks to really get the hang of it. It does get easier. And don't be afraid of insulin if you get to that point. I was terrified of it, but got put on it after I think 4 weeks of the GD diet. I actually think the insulin injection is easier than the blood sugar testing. But, you're still early in the process and there is a learning curve for it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hang in there I feel your pain.  Some days it seems now matter what you do, eat perfectly, etc you pull a bad number. When waiting for my # to pop up I'd say no whammy, no whammy.....  Definitely frustrating but keep working at it, experiment and find things you can have that don't make you feel so  deprived.  Red sugarfree jello did something for me.  Took me to a happy place when I'd eat it real slow. 
  • Options
    it took about two weeks for me to feel like "I can do this".

you should never really be "hungry" on the GD, at least I pretty much never was.

if you are hungry, you might keep some things around that you can have that don't count as carbs. I used to eat a lot of carrots and ranch, sting cheese, BBQ pork, etc. 

you can do it!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    It will get better! It's hard at first to find out what you can and can't eat and to eat on a schedule. I'm a night owl and sleep during the day so it was hardest for me to eat every couple of hours. Once I found good snacks that I liked I would eat those throughout the day. As I got further along I realized I was more and more hungry and could not satisfy my hunger. I would just snack on healthy things like carrots or protein items. The hardest part was staying away from sweets too. I have a huge sweet tooth but after a couple weeks of not having sweets I really didn't crave them that much. Just stick with it and eventually it will get easier. Good luck :)
  • Options

I am so sorry u are feeling hopeless! It will get better! It takes a few days for sugar to even out. I have found it helpful to eat more fruits and veggies and eat every 2 hours. Don't let your self feel hungry. If you are hungry eat something good for you and baby! I have sugar issues as well. Try to avoid this over 5g of sugar and eat whole grains. I know it is easier said than done! Also sugar free choc. pudding is helpful for a choc. treat! good luck!

• Options
    I just met with my Doc today. He said give yourself this week to figure things out, and not to stress too much, just see how your body is responding to different foods. Give yourself a break this week! It will get easier. I just started today, so I'm just going to give myself trial and error time.

imageimageimage

• Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It's so nice to have this board to come too and talk to people who understand. This is so challenging but I am hopeful that it will get easier and that everything will be fine. Hopefully this is gonna help me to make healthier choices in the long run and for me and my family. I didn't want to have to learn it this way but they say everything happens for a reason. Best wishes to you all!
  • Options
    It will get better! It's hard at first to find out what you can and can't eat and to eat on a schedule. I'm a night owl and sleep during the day so it was hardest for me to eat every couple of hours. Once I found good snacks that I liked I would eat those throughout the day. As I got further along I realized I was more and more hungry and could not satisfy my hunger. I would just snack on healthy things like carrots or protein items. The hardest part was staying away from sweets too. I have a huge sweet tooth but after a couple weeks of not having sweets I really didn't crave them that much. Just stick with it and eventually it will get easier. Good luck :)

Hello, I just got diagnosed this week. I'm also a night owl and sleep in the day. How do you mange? I stay up late (insomnia and baby aches) and sleep in.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo 11E5F5F6-4D0F-49E1-B9B6-320CF42213BE_zpspw0gd9zw.jpg photo 4dcf6524-f3e2-4099-82e2-545cd6740157_zpsb9a1d5a3.jpg
  • Options
    It took me a few days to get it, but I was able to maintain my levels after I figured out what to eat. Meeting with a nutritionist helped a lot, but it was the eating regularly that threw me off. For my fasting levels, I tried not to eat a late dinner or snack. I want rice big time. I have a bunch of cheese sticks and chewy bars to grab as a snack. I just went back for a follow-up with the endocrinologist. She was worried about my numbers at first but they did lower. Since it was manageable with a diet, she didn't put me on insulin but still wants me to check my sugar each day.
  • Options
    Stay encouraged. Just try different combinations of food. Focus on the glycemic index of foods. I found if I focus more on that and sticking to carb counts it really was easy. Think whole grains and stay away from white flours and cereals. Give yourself a break,it will take a little while to figure out. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"