April 2013 Moms

In laws

Ok so I'm really just typing this to vent. My husbands family is totally rude!! Our son was not a big baby when he was born. He was 6lb 14 oz and went down to 6lb 3.5oz. I had his 4 moth check up on Monday and he now weights 12.4 and is 24 1/2 inches long. The doctor said he is little but very health. Mason can roll over both ways and has been able to for over a month now. He also has been able to hold his head up by himself since he was 1 month old. He is also able to stand very well. With all that in mind my husbands family keeps telling my Husband and me that our son has something wrong with him because he is so little. It makes me so mad!!! My husband is only 130lbs so I new our son would be little. Its so bad that I wont go to any family functions on his side and he doesnt like going either. I feel bad that my son wont know that side of the family but that is there problem. 
What sent me over the edge last night was actually my sister in laws sister. I posted a picture of my son with his cousin on my side of the family. Mason's cousin was born in July but is only 3lbs lighter. (He was a bigger baby when born) and she had the nerve to say " That baby is almost bigger then Mason, Maybe he should share his food with Mason." I cant even tell you how upset I was. It took everything my husband had to not call her up and give her a piece of his mind. Anyways sorry for venting Im just really upset about it. 

Re: In laws

• What the f*ck is wrong with people, why would you tell someone something is wrong with their child! I'm so sorry & I can relate. I had a small baby, 5lb 12 oz at 37 weeks. Now at 5 months he's 14lb 12oz. Both myself & DH are very tall and thin yet his family always makes comments about DS being so small and my stupid IL's keep trying to feed him KFC mashed potatoes. Hang in there & try not to pay them any attention.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• ssharaassharaa member
    edited August 2013
    I totally understand your vent! It's the exact opposite with my in-laws. I'm a foot taller than my MIL so she just talks about how big my baby is. Last visit she showed us these pajamas for a 9 month old and insisted that they would fit my baby now. I know it's annoying for you to hear all of these things but remind yourself that it's important for your baby to know both sides of the family. The baby doesn't understand the things that are being said right now. Voice your concern, but don't withdraw completely. You know your child is healthy and happy and that's what's important. Can you maybe get some literature about percentiles from your pediatrician? Maybe your in-laws aren't familiar with what a normal range of baby weight is.Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the kind words. I have left my in laws in tears many times and it was my husband decision to not have me and our son go to his families house. It does feel better knowing that others have this problem. 
  • Yeah, I'm sorry...who says that? Let alone a family member? I'm really sorry you have to deal with that. Although not talking to family is tough, it's great that your husband is standing by you and LO (that's really difficult sometimes when it comes to family). I got offended when my smil said that M's ears were big. She said "oh, I hope you grow into those ears". That ticked me off, so I'm sure I'd flip if someone said something was wrong with my baby. And, here's to petite babies! ~O) M just had his 4-month today. He was 24.4" (21st percentile) and 13lbs 10 oz (16th percentile). He's a peanut!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• We are tiny over here too...just below the 25th percentile at her 4 month check-up.  Both sides, his and mine, constantly make comments regarding her size.  I have just learned to tune it out.  I know that my daughter is happy and healthy and eats plenty.  She doesn't have to be rolly polly to be healthy. 

• Maybe this is one of those situations where if you have never had a small child you don't think that those comments can be hurtful. My baby is large and I didn't think your sister in-laws sisters comment was too bad. Suggesting your child has something wrong with him is crossing a line though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Trying to feed my baby anything (let alone KFC mash) is complete BS
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Petite babies rock!  Mine was 11 pounds 15.5 ounces, 24 inches at her 4 month appointment (7% for weight, 24% for height).  She's healthy and growing fine.  Don't let what people say get to you!
  • My LO is small too and I have to say that I agree with pp petite babies rock! At 5 months he is probably about 13 or 14 lbs and 25 in long. Still in size 1 diapers. And completely healthy! I see it as I will get more use out of his stuff cause he will be able to use it longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"