3rd Trimester
Options

The strange, yet very serious symptom I had no clue about

This is a repost from a while ago, but given the danger I just wanted to tell a potentally completely different audience about this: ---------- I went to my OB appt for my 35 week check up, by the end of the appointment I was being sent to the hospital and was there on monitored bed rest until they decided to induce me on friday night, and my daughter was born on Saturday. I had been being monitored for possible pre-eclampsia (which I did develop) but I also developed Cholistasis of pregnancy. The symptom that sent me to the hospital? I had been itching all over my body. The scary thing (and the reason they decided not to wait to induce labor) is that while Cholistasis is moderately dangerous for me - my liver stops being able to filter bile salts and they build up in the skin making it itchy - they can build up in the baby's heart making it possible that her heart could suddenly stop with no warning. It was the kind of itching that was all over and insatiable - I had to will myself to stop. Once I scratched my arm my belly would itch and then my leg then my arm again. It was like there should have been a rash or bite there but nothing was there, just normal skin. If you get scratching fits (you just keep scratching everywhere for a while) call your OB ASAP. FYI - it is a blood test to check bile salt levels and an ultrasound of the baby's heart too. Once I was confirmed to have it and the high risk OB  looked at her heart I was induced later that day. The only symptom I had was itching. I thought I was itchy due to allergies or pollen. Mentioning this probably saved my baby's life. Just want to give everyone a heads up.  -------- FYI: my daughter is now 18 months old and is perfectly healthy.

Re: The strange, yet very serious symptom I had no clue about

• Options
    Thanks for that info.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Juliebird8307Juliebird8307 member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for this info.  Did you not have a rash at all?  I posted on here a week ago about how itchy my stomach has become.  Most people responded that they had the same problem, but now my arms and thighs have started to itch.  I do have a slight rash everywhere that is itchy (little red bumps but not anything very noticeable).  I mentioned this to my OB yesterday and he said take Benedryl and use cortisone cream.  Now you have me concerned that it's something more.  I did do an NST yesterday which went great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the PSA, I'm glad everything was ok. This is one of those things the OBs should ask about, but I never heard of until I came to TB.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for this info.  Did you not have a rash at all?  I posted on here a week ago about how itchy my stomach has become.  Most people responded that they had the same problem, but now my arms and thighs have started to itch.  I do have a slight rash everywhere that is itchy (little red bumps but not anything very noticeable).  I mentioned this to my OB yesterday and he said take Benedryl and use cortisone cream.  Now you have me concerned that it's something more.  I did do an NST yesterday which went great.
    My bump itches regularly, I think that's just the skin changing and being pulled taut. The rash I have no experience with. I just have really dry skin and summer is extremely dry so I'm gonna be itchy anyway. Maybe see a dermatologist?
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    msronzio said:
    My bump itches regularly, I think that's just the skin changing and being pulled taut. The rash I have no experience with. I just have really dry skin and summer is extremely dry so I'm gonna be itchy anyway. Maybe see a dermatologist?
    I was thinking about seeing a dermatologist.  It started with just my stomach being itchy, then moved to my forearms, hands and thighs.  I did research on PUPPS and saw people recommend some weird soap (can't remember the name right now).  I've been using it since Sunday and am starting to feel a little better today.  None of the creams helped at all.
  • Options
    OP, thank you for posting, I knew about this but didn't know how serious it is.

Just wanted to chime in with what my OB said. According to my him, PUPPPS starts as a rash, usually on the stomach, and spreads to legs and arms. Cholistasis does not have a rash and presents itself as itchy hands feet and goes to being your whole body severely itching. I was having random rashes and asked him about both. Mine was just allergy related though.
  • Options
    msronzio said:
    I was thinking about seeing a dermatologist.  It started with just my stomach being itchy, then moved to my forearms, hands and thighs.  I did research on PUPPS and saw people recommend some weird soap (can't remember the name right now).  I've been using it since Sunday and am starting to feel a little better today.  None of the creams helped at all.
    I'm glad you're feeling better! I'll have to get some of that soap too :) Prayers your way that you don't have PUPPPs.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    It is different itch from your bump itching and to my knowledge there is no associated rash/visible cause. The itching is a build up of bile salts, so nothing that you can really see. For me the itching was literally everywhere, my hands one minute, my face the next, then my toes and legs. If I could have laid down on a rough carpet and pulled myself along I would have been in heaven. But the itching never stopped. I really felt like a crazy person. I mean I was standing there (for some reason it happened most after a shower, possibly set off by the towel) for like 5-10 min STRAIGHT just scratching thinking "something is very wrong".
  • Options
    I was tested for this as well. The scary part about it is that the only symptom is itching! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    This is freaking me out.  For the last week or so my legs and feet have been itching so severely that it keeps me up at night.  I've just been slathering on the lotion before bed every night and didn't think anything of it besides being super annoyed.  I actually just got back from my 38 week appt today too!  I will definitely be calling my doctor tomorrow and asking about this. 
    DD 9/2/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"