Military Families

Childcare Payments

My husband and I are dual military.  We are stationed at Bragg and pregnant with our first child.  A friend of ours who is a mother of two, has offered to be our childcare.  My husband and I are excited, but I want to be clear with what is a fair payment.  I love the flexibility that we will have with her, but I also don't want this to affect our relationship with her and her husband.  Is this just a bad idea from the get-go, or what is a fair price, for what will most likely be 5 days a week for almost 12 hours?  She lives close to post and I would plan on going over there during lunch to BF baby.  Help!

Re: Childcare Payments

• Honestly, I don't ever mix friends with business.  And that's what daycare is, a business.  What is wrong with using the on base CDC? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    edited August 2013

Honestly, I don't ever mix friends with business.  And that's what daycare is, a business.  What is wrong with using the on base CDC? 

I had a friend that did this because she and her husband didn't get off work until after the CDC's required pick up time. It must have worked out fine until she EAS'd because the friendship with the sitter is still in tact. Idk how much they paid a week though.

ETA: I babysat for my cousin for 3 months. She offered to pay me $25 a day which I didn't take because she's family but anyway, she also told me daycare was going to be $40 a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would look into using FCC or the CDC over that. Besides the obvious "don't mix business with pleasure" aspect, I know that certain posts have regs on who can watch children in housing. Here you can only watch one family for less than 10 hours per child per week without being licensed. I know a stellar FCC (family child care- licensed, inspected, regulated) provider at Bragg. PM me if you'd like her name
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Other than the above advice of don't mix work with play, I would also suggest considering asking her to become certified if she isn't already. If you want to claim childcare on your taxes you will need her tax id number.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Sammy0709 said:
    Honestly, I don't ever mix friends with business.  And that's what daycare is, a business.  What is wrong with using the on base CDC? 
    I had a friend that did this because she and her husband didn't get off work until after the CDC's required pick up time. It must have worked out fine until she EAS'd because the friendship with the sitter is still in tact. Idk how much they paid a week though. ETA: I babysat for my cousin for 3 months. She offered to pay me $25 a day which I didn't take because she's family but anyway, she also told me daycare was going to be $40 a day.
    I look at it from the standpoint, what if something went wrong.  I personaly would rather not lose a friend over something bad happening.  But I also am the person that believes that you get what you pay for.
  • It sounds like she's off post, from your original post, so there wouldn't be any problem with violating Ft Bragg regs.  You do have less certainty doing things informally (ex. no background checks, no required certifications, no third party inspections) but if you really know this person well, feel comfortable with her, and are OK with who else may be in the house, then it might be something to consider.  As for rates, I think $8.50/hr is about the going rate around there.  Why don't you just ask her how much she wants to be paid?  Also, have you gotten on the on-post waiting list just in case?
  • Not much to add but we pay for off post in home daycare. Full time is $100 a week, overnights during the week are an extra $10 and ours will also do date night/weekend sitting for $20-30 a night... I can't remember what it is because we don't use it much. Also, I'd suggest calling a few daycare centers around your area to see the cost... last time I called around the ones in the cliffdale/rim/reilly area were ranging from $135-$150 a week but didn't have many openings.
    BFP#1 EDD 12/31/2010, Mommy's little girl Born 01/05/2011 Married My Love on 07/07/2012 BFP#1 EDD 08/14/2013. Suspected m/c 12/16/2012
  • I don't know what the going rate is for child care, but to add to the list of questions/concerns would be how both families will handle things when someone gets sick. What is the mother gets sick, who stays home with the three children? What of one (or both) of her kids is sick? What about if your LO is sick? All scenarios that will happen. How will you handle things when she or her kids have medical appointments? Will you pay her for holidays? What about when you and your DH take leave? How will you handle child care arrangements when she goes on leave with her family? Will you pay her daily/weekly rate when she's on leave? There seem to be a ton of loose ends with a situation like this. I would sit down with both sets of parents to discuss these matters before moving forward. Good luck with your decision!
  • We used my DHs XPO's wife for the first 8 weeks or so. We were worried about it affecting our firnedship if I wasn't happy but everything turned out fine. The reason DD was only there 8 weeks was because the sitter was pregnant and at about that time she was having trouble watching her son as well as picking up and feeding DD. She was just tired. Which I totally understand. It gave us time to find the perfect home daycare for her.

If I remember correctly, we paid $25 a day or $125 a week. It was great those first few weeks that I was back working. I worked from home and we lived 5 minutes from eachother. So I was able to drive over and nurse on my lunch break.

• we are duel military and will pay 140 at the cdc per week. our cdc is open 24 hours a day so it doesnt matter how late i work.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"