Attachment Parenting
Options

Cosleeping

I'm new at cosleeping. DD is now 4 months old and I enjoy cosleeping. Anyway, I have a wedding coming up that's in the evening. My parents are planning on babysitting. How do you go out in the evenings and have other people babysit and get baby to sleep? My DD also nurses on and off during the night.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cosleeping

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited August 2013
    Do you plan to spend the whole night away from baby, or just a few hours? We've brought DS to several weddings, and that has gone very well. If you're concerned about leaving LO in the evening, you might want to consider bringing her. If you're going to be away for just a few hours, I'd nurse before you leave and plan to nurse immediately upon your return. I'd also plan to leave one ounce of pumped breast milk per hour you'll be away with your parents. If they give her milk (by bottle, cup, sippy, or spoon) so that she's well fed, then they might be able to wear her as she falls asleep. Being closely snuggled in a carrier is calming, and they could go for a walk...she'd likely fall asleep easily that way. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Whoa...TB ate my paragraphs. Sorry for the walk of text! I hope it makes sense...
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OkieMamaOkieMama member
    edited August 2013
    I just leave a bottle with my mom and she can usually either rock him to sleep (if I'm coming back later that night) or let him sleep in their bed if hes spending the night, just like he would at home. He is around my parents a lot and very comfortable around them, I would add.

ETA: my DS nurses off and on through the night, but I think a lot of that may have to do with being near me and my sent. He typically wakes up once during the night for my mom and she can fix a small bottle and get him back to sleep.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This summer I was away at bedtime twice a week because of late rehearsals, so my in-laws have gotten really good at the bedtime routine. :) I leave plenty of pumped milk and then the rock him to sleep. DS sleeps the first few hours in his crib anyway, so that wasn't an issue for us. Just make sure they know that you don't let him cry or anything like that. 
  • Options
    I still co sleep my almost 2 year old daughter and just found out we have another one on the way, should I start trying to transfer her to her own bed, or leave her in my bed? The new baby will sleep in a bassinet first next to my bed like I did with my daughter the first 9 mo, any help ladies?
  • Options
    I still co sleep my almost 2 year old daughter and just found out we have another one on the way, should I start trying to transfer her to her own bed, or leave her in my bed? The new baby will sleep in a bassinet first next to my bed like I did with my daughter the first 9 mo, any help ladies?

That all depends on what you would like the sleeping arrangement to be when LO2 arrives. If you don't mind bedsharing with the toddler and new baby, then let things stay as they are. But if you would like DD to be in her own bed (even still in your room) when LO2 comes home, you might want to start gently transitioning her early, so that she doesn't associate her sleeping in her own bed with being replaced by the baby. If she's been sleeping in her own bed for a few months when LO2 arrives, it will head off some of the jealousy that could come from booting her nearer the end of your pregnancy. 

That said, if you just found out you're expecting, there's no reason to start right away if you don't want to! I'd aim to have her in her own bed by between 6 and 8 months pregnant, if that's what you decide will work best for your family. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had to be unexpectedly hospitalized for 4 days a few weeks ago.  We cosleep and I was afraid of what would happen to my LO. Could he sleep without me?  Would MH wake up when he does?  Well my MIL stayed to help out MH (he was back and forth at the hospital) and he slept in his crib (!!) and she slept in an air mattress next to his crib.  He did fine.  She layed him down and he slept.  I tried to do that for a nap and he won't have anything to do with it.  He wants to sleep with me.  /sigh   I love it though. 
    Hopefully your baby will go to sleep for them easily.  If not, probably rocking him to sleep will help. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 5/18/12. MMC @ 8 weeks. Measuring 6w5d. MC naturally 6/29/12. Forever loved.

2013-07-17 at 07.15.09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"