Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

First words/stringing them into sentences

For those of you with tots closer to the 24mo range....How old was your LO when they said their first word...like a REAL word, that they could say consistently when prompted? And then how soon after that were they able to string words together into phrases and sentences? My 16mo old can only say Mum, Dada, and ugh oh. I'm getting a bit worried...isn't he a little late with the talking? Family members are starting to make comments to me that make me feel like he is behind in his verbal skills. He knows animal sounds like roars, meows, moos, squeaks, and piggy snorts etc. but I'm not really counting those as words since they are more like sound effects. I'm not sure what the "cut off" age is to be concerned or mention it to the doctor. Does anyone have the age range of what is considered normal for these milestones?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First words/stringing them into sentences

• Options
    My pedi said at 15 months 3 to 4 words is normal and I am pretty sure they count animals sounds as words so I think your son is normal.  
  • Options
    DD had a few "real" words around 12-15 months, several words by 18 months and really had an explosion at 20-22 months. She strung together her first spontaneous sentence at around 22-23 months ("I walk please" - I was carrying her and she wanted to walk). 
    Your LO is only 16 months and has a few words. That sounds great to me. I'm sure you'll be amazed by his language in the next 4-6 months. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Animal sounds are definitely words!

My son is 22 months.

He said his first real word (More) around 11 months.  By the time he had his 12 month appointment he had 3 words - More, Ball, and Hi.

He started stringing them together (Dada's brush, big truck, walk me mama) at 19 months.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ktpaladinoktpaladino member
    edited August 2013
    Phew this makes me feel better guys, thank you so much. I think the worry started to come from the underhanded comments like "Why aren't you talking yet" "When are you going to start talking" "We need to get you started on some words" and things like that. Mostly from my MIL- she says things like that to LO when she knows I am close enough to hear. My SIL also told me that she recently watched some study on TV about toddlers who are allowed to play on educational apps. (My son is allowed no more than 15 min a day) She told me that according to this study, I am making him anti social and delaying his speech by allowing him to play games on my iPad. Seems like I need to stop listening to everyone and just keep workin with my son the way I am and hope he picks up a few more things in the upcoming months! Thanks again for your opinions.

• Options
    Oh, and yes, he understands everything. He can answer all of our our questions by shaking his head yes or no, and can even go and get me things when I ask for them.

• Options
    My DD will be 21 months next week and can say a handful of words but has yet to string together sentences other than "more please".  I hear the same thing all the time "you aren't talking yet?" But then I go to play dates and all the kids her age are right there with her.  She understands what we are saying and tries to get the words out, but just hasn't gotten to it yet.  The past month or so she has learned a new word every day it seems, so I know it won't be long before we have a little chatterbox! 
  • Options
    DS didn't say his first word until 16 months. As soon as he did he wouldn't stop talking! He's pretty vocal now, with over 100 words/phrases now (he's almost 22 months). He started saying phrases like I do, I see it and thank you around 18 months I think. 
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"