Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Does your 2 year old negotiate?

My daughter who is 2 year, 4 months always has to negotiate over everything! I offer her a snack and she says, no 2 of them! I offer her 2 crackers, and she says "no 3 of them." Oh - and I can't pick out anything for her. SHE has to be the one to pick everything.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It doesn't help us that she can count to 20 and has a pretty solid vocabulary. Its just frustrating that she never seems content with just 1 of anything and heaven forbid you hand her a cracker - since she needs to be the one to pick it out lol.

Re: Does your 2 year old negotiate?

• Options
    My son (turned two at the end of March) does both of those things. Not all the time but sometimes and depending on his mood. Lately he gets bent out of shape if I hand a cup, plate of food, etc to his brother instead of letting him choose which of the items he wants first- that gets super annoying since I'm also dealing with the feelings of a five year old. He can also count and asks for more of things although it isn't all the time. Maybe you can turn it around on her- "Dd do you want to go to bed/brush your teeth/clean up in 2 minutes or 3?". I do that with my older boy all the time. Best of luck :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My DD is about to turn 2 and she does some of these things too.  When I give her one cracker and she wants another, she's usually content if I break the one in half so that she has 2, though. 

We get through it by 1) picking our battles, and 2) giving her choices all the time, like PP said.  I pick out two t-shirts in the morning, and then let her pick which one she wants to wear, for example.  Also, "Do you want to brush your teeth now, or after you put your PJs on?"  "Would you like watermelon or a peach for dessert?"  "Please pick up either that toy or that blanket and put it away."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, my about to turn 2yo does this a bit, and my 3.5yo has been doing it since she was about 2 and it has not stopped. Sometimes giving 2 choices works, sometimes I just have to stand my ground and they meltdown and then we move on. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, absolutely. One of my favorite examples was around Christmas. I said, "Do you want to go see Santa on Saturday?" and he said, "Um, how about Sunday instead?"
  • Options
    Yes and no. For the longest time she always wanted two of everything at the same time--one for each hand. (2 chips, 2 bananas, 2 pretzels) Usually we just get around that by breaking it in half. She doesn't care--just as long as she has one in each hand. 

She is starting to use excuses more when she doesn't want to do something. She will purposely do something wrong to be in time out---to get her out of doing what she doesn't want to do. (Doesn't work in our house) Or she says she has to go on the potty. Or she is itchy and needs lotion. (with severe eczema, this can be the case)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    Yes!

Our DS1 is a pro at "Just a few more minutes," and "Mom, please say two more minutes."

:)

• Options
    He does, but he doesn't usually get upset over most things like that.  It's usually when I'm offering a snack and he says "ummm, no, how 'bout crackers?" or sometimes a TV show "ummm, no, how 'bout Barney?" 

I could be totally wrong but I think boys might be a little more laid back in terms of wanting to pick/choose absolutely everything - especially when it comes to clothes and things like that.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"