1st Trimester

The help list

torneentorneen member
edited August 2013 in 1st Trimester

Since I have never met a single mother that didn't have at least ONE sucky symptom while they were pregnant, I thought we could share our remedies and what we have learned.  Here is my list (all the things I can think of) - sorry... some things are not pretty to talk about, but they happen.  Feel free to add to it :)

Nausea (a big one for me) - Zofran (prescribed by Dr.), Unisom (taken only at night before bed), peach sorbet (or any fruit sorbet really), chocolate, laying down and taking deep breaths, sitting in the shower, and if you have the time and money... a pre-natal massage can really really help. 

Heartburn - peach sorbet or just peaches, maalox, ranitidine.

Constipation - Hot apple cider, stool softner (but you can't take these all 9 months, your body will become dependant), prune juice, warm bath, drink more water.

Anal Fissures - Warm bath, desitin (or other favorite diaper rash cream), happy thoughts that they will heal soon and sitting will not kill you forever.

Hemorrhoids - ... I have not had these, fingers crossed I don't this time around either. 

Sleepyness - Sleep more ;), I sometimes have a small cup of decaf coffee.  I know you can have a little caffeine but I just chose not to.  Exercise helps too.  Just a light walk around the block can really help your energy in the long run.

Gas - Gas-ex works for me.  Also identifying foods that make it worse and avoiding them. 

Skin tags -  a friend told me to make a thick paste with water and baking soda, dab it on the skin tag every night for about five minutes, then wipe it off with a warm/wet wash clothe.  She said hers just fell right off.  I have not tried this yet, but thought I would share it. 

Pregnancy brain - no cure. Just laugh it off.

Back pain - belly support bands help a little, sleeping with a mommy pillow of some sort (there are like five versions out there to chose from), pre-natal massage, laying on a tennis ball, gentle stretching.

Varicose veins - I have not had these either, but I have been told that walking and exercise can help keep these away.  I think some people are just more prone to them though.     The sudden onset of tears - I don't know what is wrong with me these days, I am beyond emotional and I can practially cry on command.  I was not this way when I carried my daughter.  Maybe I am just more tired.  I don't know.  But I find it helps to just get it out and cry.  I hate these damn hormones and I don't want to, but boy do I ever feel better after I let it out.  I don't do it in public or anything... but I try not to hold it in.  Usually my husband or a friend is nearby and they just give me a hug and tell me a joke to make me laugh and snap out of it.      Anger management - don't get between a pregnant lady and her pizza, that's all I can say.  Get a good pillow and let out a good scream.  Take a deep breath and remember, anger is just a poison.  Let it go.  It's easy to be upset and frustrated when you have no energy, no appetite (or you are starving all the time), you are just generally irritable, and your body hurts in weird places and you don't feel like yourself.  But letting it go and moving on without being upset feels so much better than staying upset about something. 

That's all I can think of for now.  Again, feel free to add on!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: The help list

• Nausea: avoiding movement, eating protein every two hrs, massage, Zofran when needed (break pills in half or quarters if you can get away with less)

Constipation: No Zofran, lots of liquids, hot liquids such as broth, fiber gummies daily

Headaches: Tylenol when it's really bad, mild lighting, massage
  • Nausea: Zofran

Constipation: drinking a glass of metamucil every day

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"