1st Trimester

Heart beat question??

I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks. Saw the baby, heard the heart beat, and saw the heart actually beating!!! Today I am 8 weeks and had an appt. my dr tried to pick up a heart beat with the Doppler and couldn't . Why is it that you hear heart beat on ultrasound but not on Doppler? She said it was normal just didnt say why?

Re: Heart beat question??

• Different technologies. I can't believe your doctor even tried to use a doppler at 8 weeks, that is way early. It's normal to reach 13 weeks before hearing it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Different technologies. I can't believe your doctor even tried to use a doppler at 8 weeks, that is way early. It's normal to reach 13 weeks before hearing it.

This. Different technologies. My OB won't use the Doppler till 10 weeks+ because it's too hard to hear before then. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Loading the player...
  • Okay thanks ladies! She told me we prob wouldn't hear it but asked if I wanted to give it a try anyways, so we did!
  • I'm pretty sure that with an u/s you don't really hear the heartbeat, the machine simulates it based on the flickering image. But don't quote me.
  • You aren't actually hearing the hb with an ultrasound. The machine simulates the sound based on the pattern of the beats it is picking up. The Doppler is listening for the actual sounds like a stethoscope does.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• That early in the pregnancy, the baby is low in the pelvis.  Bone and other structures prevent the sound waves from reaching the doppler sensor.  It is normal to not be able to hear the heartbeat with a doppler until after 10 weeks or so.  Many doctors will not even attempt the doppler until then so that pregnant women don't worry.  
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"