Pregnant after 35

Fibroids!

Hi ladies.. So, I have a couple of fibroids which I didn't know about until earlier this year.  I understand that they can become larger during pregnancy and they have.  I don't go back to see my doctor for another couple of weeks but they know about these things and are monitoring them.  The weird thing is there is one that has been more on the left side of my uterus since the beginning but this morning I felt a largish one (can feel if I press down) on the right side.  The first thing I thought was that the fibroid moved but now I am sure it's just another one seeing as how I have a few.  It's just strange that yesterday it was on the left and today it feels more on the right. 
Has anyone dealt with fibroids and pregnancy.  For now the doctor says it shouldn't cause any complications but it's just such a strange feeling.  It's causing me to look and feel more pregnant than I am.  I'm 9w4d and feel and look bigger than this I'm sure.  Any stories would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: Fibroids!

• I also have fibroids. I actually started with cysts at the beginning of my pregnancy, but fibroids were found around week 16.  The doctor said they should not cause issues, but as I get bigger there might be more pressure on them which would lead to pain. They have ways of managing the pain, but it sounded like it could be very painful as the doctor told me not to travel after 30 weeks. Each person is different. So far, I am good. I am not sure if it has caused me to look bigger than I should. (23 weeks now) I go in for my next ultrasound in 7-8 weeks.  The doctor said we would just monitor it and manage.  Good luck to you!
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • thanks @quinncat for your response.  my doc said they were going to monitor them and it just feels like they are getting bigger.. BUT i know having a healthy pregnancy along with fibroids is something that can be accomplished!  i have a feeling i'll have a c-sec too...
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a few, and they mostly just hang out; a lot depends on how big they were initially, where they're placed, if they grow, etc.  Be aware that sometimes they can hurt - for a while the baby was punching one of mine and it did not feel good - and if their blood supply gets blocked, they can die and that also hurts.  But unless they're huge, or in a bad place, they're not that bad a thing. 

Also, you can put a hot water bottle on them if they hurt.  I asked my midwife about this, and she said it was safe to do, and I find it really helped.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Thanks everyone. I am a little over 10wks now and it's the weirdest thing.  The area where I would assume a baby bump would be definitely is a bump but I'm apparently too early to be having such a thing.  Granted, I have a ton of bloat but the area is firm just underneath the fat/bloat. I'm wondering what it is that is so tough if it's not my uterus b/c it feels like my uterus now since it's all evened out.  Well, I have a genetics appt on the 4th and doubt my OB will see me before then since I'm simply concerned about my fibroids.  I feel stupid calling them.
  • I knew I had a small fibroid well before pregnancy.  At first ultrasound at 7 weeks due to bleeding she said I actually had 3 small ones.  Ob said oh nothing to worry about they would monitor it because I had read they cam become larger during pregnancy so I was concerned.   I developed Gestational Diabetes and had to go for numerous ultrasounds even twice weekly monitoring after 32 weeks with ultrasounds at every one and nothing was ever said about mine growing.  My water broke at 34 weeks and I had to have emergency c section after she failed to progress during labor at 6 or 7 centimeters dilated.  They said all along I'd deliver vaginally but I just knew I'd have to go c section.
     During surgery the rotating OB said over the curtain "Do you know you have fibroids?  They're very large" I said they told me mine were small and monitoring it.  I've had many ultrasounds and nothing was ever mentioned.  One was outside the uterus and one inside with her he said.  They delivered her and he made the decision to cut them out think he only did two so one remains.  I needed a transfusion with 2 units of blood.  He said if you get pregnant again do not deliver vaginal you will need a c section.  But I didn't ask him why. I will ask ob in October.   When my ob finally came in days later I asked her why didn't they monitor them better she blew it off like they weren't that big and were benign nothing to worry about but he seemed very concerned about them and remarked during surgery and later how large they were.  He said he believes that is why my water broke.  I don't have a clue but please make sure they monitor them.  I wasn't able to feel them as you are. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"