Multiples

RnP for nighttime sleeping?

Based on posts that I had read on this board I was planning on having my girls sleep in RnPs in our room for the first few months- a lot of MoMs seemed to swear by theirs. But now, there is a discussion on BMB about whether or not this is safe or is a SIDS risk. I then did some additional research online and it seems like the consensus is that is is NOT safe. How many of you either did or plan on having your twins sleep in their RnP? I'm trying to come up with alternatives if we don't use the RnPs. We have a PnP and I am assuming that at least in the very beginning they can sleep in it together swaddled and then I guess we can move them to their cribs? Help?!? I'm on bedrest and don't have a ton of time to figure this out and we are on a tight budget. (I bought both RnPs used for $50 total and the PnP was given to us.)
Me: 33, Hypothalamic Amenorrhea, DOR (AMH .35), DH: 38, Borderline low morph
5/09- Off BCP, 5/09-9/09- No period, 9/09-9/10- Lots of Tests & accupuncture
10/10 and 11/10- 2 rounds of Menopur + TI= BFNS
12/10-IUI #1 Menopur = BFN
1/11- IUI #2 Menopur = BFP, 2/11 missed mc at 9 weeks, D&C
5/11- Operative Hysteroscopy to remove uterine septum
6/11- IUI #3 Menopur = BFP, 8/11 missed mc at 11 weeks, D&C
1/12- Lap and Operative Hysteroscopy to remove uterine septum (again) & scar tissue
2/12- Stint Removal, 3/12 repeat SHG and HSG- showed scar tissue blocking right tube
4/12- Operative hysteroscopy (again), RE said he can now see right tube (yay!)
5/12- Stint removal, 6/12 repeat SHG and HSG-both tubes are open!
8/12- IUI #4 Bravelle = BFN
9/12-IUI #5 Bravelle = BFN
1/13- IVF #1, micro-flare protocol, 7R, 6F, 5dt of 2 AA embryos, 1 to freeze = BFP
Beta #1: 176, Beta #2: 422, EDD 10/8/13- it's TWINS!
*PAIF/SAIF always welcome*
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: RnP for nighttime sleeping?

• Ours both had reflux so they slept in RnPs for about the first 4 months.  We tried putting them in a PnP together at first, but DD was a grunter so she kept DS awake. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Both of our have slept in RnP, and now at three months we are trying to transition them to their cribs. Both have reflux so I think the incline helped. I can see how if you had an older more mobile baby there might be a slight risk-but mine are so small and not mobile so their faces are no where nears the sides.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Both of mine slept in the RNP for naps and bedtime for 4-5 mos.  One transitioned to the crib ok, the other I had to take the lining of the RNP out and put it in the crib with a wedge under the crib and towels rolled up under the liner and take one thing out every couple days until she transitioned.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• We didn't have RNP when my twins were born, but I would not let them sleep in them at night (unless I had no choice).  They should be flat on their back for a few reasons for sleeping.  I would use a co-sleeper or crib at night.

• They both sleep in RNPs. One has reflux and he screams bloody murder on his back.

• I was going to buy the RnP's as well until I did research outside of TB and discovered they are not recommended. If you do end up with a reflux baby, you might prefer the RnP but my first choice is a flat sleeping surface.
    We plan on using bassinets for the twins. We have one, and will borrow a second. Then at 3 months, into the nursery together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both of mine slept in RnP's till they were 3 months. One had reflux, and he slept in the RnP for naps until he was 4 months- it made a huge difference in his comfort.
    photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ours would only sleep in their RnPs. But, if I had to do it over again, I would keep them on a flat surface so that transition to the crib would be easier.  It was also recommended to us not to have them sleep in the RnPs.  We went out and bought a bassinet and they would not sleep together, so we bought another bassinet and neither of them really slept well for weeks.  One day we set them in the RnP for just a little while, they slept better than ever and we never went back to the bassinets. It was a slow transition to the cribs but now they are just fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image
  • Now you have me second guessing. I was going to just go with RnP but now I might see if I can find a used co-sleeper.

• I had a RNP with my first and was planning on getting a second for the twins. My son had reflux and so it was our only option. I didn't really have a problem transitioning him. We went to a pnp with a riser (incline) to his crib with the same riser and he always did good when we moved him around.

Why are they saying they're not safe? Just out of curiosity?

Mono/Di Twins - Due March 3, 2014 (Realist EDD - Feb 5, 2014)

Mommy to Jericho - 2 Years Old.

• Felicity86Felicity86 member
    edited August 2013
    I used a pnp, but always had the RnPs on hand if they were fussy/having trouble sleeping/etc. they probably slept in RnPs 50% of the time for the first two months...then we transitioned to cribs. I feel like RnPs are "ok" for overnight sleep, but that a crib or PnP is technically safer. My pediatrician ok-ed us using RnPs, but I was still always a little uneasy letting them sleep there.
  • Why are they saying they're not safe? Just out of curiosity?

People were saying it is a SIDS risk for a few reasons:
    1. They are not flat on their backs.
    2. They have the material on the sides close to their face.
    3. There head and neck may be positioned in a way that can block air flow.
    4. They are in a soft sling not a hard surface.

They are saying it is ok for naps since you are awake and watching them, but not as safe for nighttime sleeping.

Here is the link to the discussion on my BMB: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12054467/rock-n-play-sids#latest

Me: 33, Hypothalamic Amenorrhea, DOR (AMH .35), DH: 38, Borderline low morph
    5/09- Off BCP, 5/09-9/09- No period, 9/09-9/10- Lots of Tests & accupuncture
    10/10 and 11/10- 2 rounds of Menopur + TI= BFNS
    12/10-IUI #1 Menopur = BFN
    1/11- IUI #2 Menopur = BFP, 2/11 missed mc at 9 weeks, D&C
    5/11- Operative Hysteroscopy to remove uterine septum
    6/11- IUI #3 Menopur = BFP, 8/11 missed mc at 11 weeks, D&C
    1/12- Lap and Operative Hysteroscopy to remove uterine septum (again) & scar tissue
    2/12- Stint Removal, 3/12 repeat SHG and HSG- showed scar tissue blocking right tube
    4/12- Operative hysteroscopy (again), RE said he can now see right tube (yay!)
    5/12- Stint removal, 6/12 repeat SHG and HSG-both tubes are open!
    8/12- IUI #4 Bravelle = BFN
    9/12-IUI #5 Bravelle = BFN
    1/13- IVF #1, micro-flare protocol, 7R, 6F, 5dt of 2 AA embryos, 1 to freeze = BFP
    Beta #1: 176, Beta #2: 422, EDD 10/8/13- it's TWINS!
    *PAIF/SAIF always welcome*
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"