January 2013 Moms
Options

Switching from EBF to FF

So the time has come. I've done everything I can to try and keep my milk supply up but sadly we have been needing to use more and more formula. For those of you how have switched, how did you go about it? Right now I'm nursing whenever he wants and then if he is still acting hungry, I give him 2 oz of formula, which isn't every feeding. I have a day or 2 supply of frozen breast milk that I will be using as soon as my supply seems to be completely gone. I know FF babies tend to eat more, less often. How should I go about doing that? He currently drinks 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Switching from EBF to FF

• Options
    Just replace a feeding every few days until its all formula. If it helps mine drinks 4 6oz bottles a day along with all of his solids. I bf for 3 months then weaned him one feeding at a time. It will be hard to gauge how much formula he needs until he's weaned I think because bm you don't need to really gauge by ounces if that makes sense.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You might find he only takes about 4 oz feedings at a time. I started weaning around 7 months. She is now 8 months and still struggles to eat a 6 oz bottle. I did like PP said. I replaced one feeding with a bottle. Right now she has 3 6 oz bottles a day, plus I still nurse her once a day and once in the MOTN.
    I suggest not replacing feedings that are back to back right away. Keep a nursing session in between while doing it so you aren't horribly engorged.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This might sound stupid but how did you know your supply was dwindling?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"