Food Allergy
Options

Avoid allergens during pregnancy?

Hi ladies,

My DD has eczema and several food allergies. Now that I'm expecting again, I'm wondering if I should be avoiding highly allergic foods (nuts, eggs, dairy, etc.)

I know that allergists have very different opinions on this. Do any of you have any experience or recommendations?

Thank you!

Re: Avoid allergens during pregnancy?

• Options
    Eat probiotics. They just said that pg women who ate probiotics had kids with less allergies. Can't hurt. Jury is still out on to avoid or not. If I could go back I'd say I'd avoid peanuts just so I wouldn't feel guilty that it in some way attributed to it. It sucks deep down to think you had something to do with an allergy. Listen to your pedi and enjoy your pregnancy. You could do everything "right" and something still turn up.
  • Options
    After we learned DS had a peanut allergy his allergist told me to avoid peanuts while pg and BFing. My OB says there's no evidence that will help but it couldn't hurt so I've avoided peanuts thus far. We will get DS2 tested at 1 year and avoid all nuts until then.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    here is my take on this.  

When i was pregnant with my first i ate 2 eggs every morning, peanut butter right out of a jar (a lot of it), constantly drank cows milk and ate a lot of soy b/c i don't eat meat.  My son was born with an allergy to eggs, peanuts, milk and soy.  I don't think it was a coincidence.  I overly ate these things. More than i normally would. 

I got pregnant again.  I asked my doctors for their opinion and they strongly advised NOT to avoid everything (maybe nuts for my DS1 benefit of possible reaction) but to limit everything and have everything in moderation.  I did.  I had about 2 eggs a week. I did not drink milk b/c i just started drinking non-dairy milk.  I avoided tofu but had soy sauce and other healthier soy.  I did have a little almonds here and there.  My DS2 has no allergies.  He is only intolerant to dairy but won't kill him. 

So i'm hoping to get pregnant again and i will be doing the same thing - everything in moderation.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"