Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Mad at OB/GYNs after my son's birth

SusanTeachSusanTeach member
edited August 2013 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Mad at my doc for insisting on induction, even though I had a healthy pregnancy. Now that the latest autism study has been released, I am worried too. Anyone else have a doc who didn't share the info? My story is below. I was/am a FTM, with a natural pregnancy at 39. I gave birth at 40, just 6 weeks ago. My husband and I carefully did our reading and research and thought we were well- intentioned when we told our doctors (practice with 4 female docs) that we wanted a natural birth if possible. At 40 weeks, I went in and received another healthy check. The doc said, "If the baby hasn't come by the weekend, we should start discussing plans." I went in four days later for a non stress test, again healthy, and was informed by the nurse that my induction had been scheduled for me at the hospital. What?! No phone call, no discussion. When I asked to speak to a doctor, they acted surprised. The doc said that spaces fill up fast, so mine was scheduled. Why? Because of my advanced maternal age, the risk of stillbirth past my due date increases. what are the risks with induction? None, they said. Drugs like pita in do not cause autism. Cervadil does not cause autism.? Fast forward to my induction and delivery at 40 weeks and 4 days... Boy. Loves. Happy. Fast forward to 6 weeks and countless breaking news stories, even in the Post and on CNN, about the link between drugs that speed up and induce labor and autism. What also increases the risks? Induction when you are older and with boy children. Grrr.... How about letting me know the risks docs and letting ME make the decision. Had I known, I would have refused to show up to the hospital and gotten another doctor.

Re: Mad at OB/GYNs after my son's birth

• Options
    Pitocin, not pita...stupid typos!
  • Options
    jayro10jayro10 member
    edited August 2013
    There was a thread about this very recently. I bet you could find it if you scroll back a couple pages.
    Basically, there's no known cause of autism so don't stress yourself out about it.

ETA the thread is on page 3, titled Autism and Inductions Linked?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nevermind the autism thing, that is just so wrong.  They scheduled an induction without telling you and then their excuse was "spaces fill up fast?"  that's manipulation, i'm sorry you weren't better informed of your options
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The study did not say that autism and induction were definitively linked, the people who performed the study themselves said that women should not avoid induction if that is what their doctor recommends.  What is known, observed, and a well-understood fact is that letting a pregnancy go too far past its due date will cause serious problems for the baby - physical problems that will effect him/her the rest of his life or result in stillborn.  Why would you prefer to avoid autism at the risk of having a stillborn baby?  There is absolutely no reason to get hysterical about the supposed, not proven or tested, link between autism and induction.
  • Options
    Your OB recommended what he thought was best. I'm confused and a little disturbed actually. You are angry at him for mitigating the risk of stillbirth by choosing an intervention with a theoretical risk for autism? 

This. There are really risks of going past your due date if you are older, and your doctor made recommendations that they thought would be the safest option for you and your baby. I understand the desire to have a natural labor, but a birth plan is just that - a plan that could potentially change. And even though they put you on the schedule for an induction you could have refused it. A doctor can not force you to show up for an induction. As for the autism study, you will eventually see that a new study is released every year or so with another supposed link or cause. I suggest learning to ignore them for your own piece of mind and sanity since as the previous poster mentioned, they have not been able to pinpoint a cause for autism.
    Hawaii
  • Options
    SusanTeachSusanTeach member
    edited August 2013
    Yes, I guess we are more mad at ourselves for not following through with our convictions. The risk of stillbirth increases for older women the more they go past their due date, but then due dates, if you weren't actively trying for a baby and calculating ovulation, periods, etc., aren't necessarily that accurate. Also, I was induced just 4 days after baby's due date. Anyway, just a worried mom here, NOT hysterical. I teach and have seen so many more autistic kids in recent years. Its not like this study was from some hack, this was done by the JAMA. My docs should at least not have pushed the induction so hard. The risk of stillbirth is MUCH lower, especially with no other mitigating factors.
  • Options
    I can totally understand your frustration.  It does sound a little like your doctor used scare tactics to push the induction on an otherwise perfectly healthy pregnancy.  If your NST came back normal it doesn't really make sense that they were worrying about stillbirth just because of your age.  I am not a doctor obviously, but I can relate to how frustrating it is to feel procedures pressed on you without being fully informed of the reasons and risks. Yes, you should've refused the induction, but when a nurse or doctor says "stillbirth" to you, why would you refuse it??  Sounds like they were just trying to cover all their bases and backing you into a corner and I would look for another OB in the future that is more in line with your wishes and up to date with new research if you plan to have another child.

That being said, I agree with PPs about correlation not being causation and try not to borrow worries from tomorrow.  There are plenty of children with autism who were not a product of an induced labor, and healthy children who came from induced labor.  I know it can be scary to look at new research, but try and relax and be happy that your baby is healthy.
    Anniversary       

• Options
    A couple of things will influence my answer here...

Why did your doctor "insist" on induction?

There is no evidence to support that any drug causes autism. 

What are your sources? I don't like the fear mongering about autism. We don't know what causes it and arm flailing about every little thing that MIGHT cause it is pointless. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I work with children with autism.  This last summer after the study came out the parents had a lot of conversations about that.  During the first discussion it was discovered that only a little more than half of the children who were induced.  Many of them had spontaneous labors or scheduled c-sections without beginning labor.  So if pitocin causes autism, why did the half who's moms never receive pitocin or an induction have autism?  Pitocin and inductions are NOT the cause.  The theory is, mainly, that perhaps children with autism can't trigger their own labors and require induction to be born.  However there are a million other reasons, I'm sure, as to why labor doesn't start on it's own sometimes that has nothing to do with autism.

So, relax.  If you have a healthy, happy baby at home there is no need to stress out!  For any future pregnancies you may want to work with a doctor who is more open and on the same page as you, and doesn't use scare tactics to promote an induction.  But you also had the right to refuse the induction and not go in the day they scheduled you, so the blame isn't entirely on him.

To add, really quickly, when asked at these round table discussions with these parents who's children are autistic most eventually admit there were signs of autism somewhere in their family in the past, and it's probably mostly genetic.  A few are still stuck on the vaccine thing and a few others blame traumatic incidences in infancy.  All might be correct.  The fact is we have no idea what causes autism or if there is even a single cause.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    There is absolutely no link between vaccines and autism.  None.
  • Options
    I am finishing up my doctorate in clinical psychology have have been forced (lol) to read a lot of research and complete my own. One big thing they teach is that "correlation does not equal causation." Meaning there may be a correlation between two things but rarely can you ever say one thing causes another. As JCWhitey said above, there is most likely a different explanation for why there appears to be a link. It can be scary for there to be disorders with no known cause, but don't let the worry rob you of the special time of your baby being so little. Be thankful for a safe delivery and healthy baby!
  • Options
    My 2 1/2 yr old son was induced due to borderline low fluid. I chose to have the doctors tell me what to do...I don't have any medical training, so I trained that they would make the best decision.

He is now a perfectly "normal" toddler. When I saw that study, I immediately thought that I would have flipped out if I had just had him. Additionally, like PPs mention, that study is a little suspect!

Furthermore, I teach, too, so I get your concern. I see so many kids with a multitude of issues and it freaked me out when I was pregnant with my son. Yet, Time and again, I see more familial links between issues. For example, when I meet parents of kids with ASD diagnoses, one of them usually is the exact same way and would have had that title if schools had such labels when we went. kWIM?

Don't panic. Try to let it go and speak up from now on if you have a concern. Good luck.
  • Options
    Wow...ignore the middle of the night typos and wrong words!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"