November 2013 Moms

Best parenting advice

I love reading all the awful advice we get while pregnant and after baby arrives but just for a change: Share the best parenting advice you've been given.

Re: Best parenting advice

• It sounds stupid, but sleep when the baby sleeps.  Forget about showering or laundry.  SLEEP!
  • It's a team effort...don't be afraid to ask for help and sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • IforShortIforShort member
    edited August 2013
    "Try breastfeeding for 40 days. If you still would rather only pump or ff after that then you can." It was great advice and helped me push through the pain. I still never loved doing it like some moms but I got better at it.

Mobile edit

• Don't expect to be perfect.  You're a mom in training.
  • A baby always has a reason for crying. You will learn your baby's cries. There will be one for hungry, sleepy, hurt, sad, mad, etc. Once baby is old enough try to let baby fix the ones he can.
    I didn't get this until one day I heard DS use his frustration cry. I knew he was mad at something. I ran in to see what was wrong. I stopped myself from grabbing him just in time. Had I picked him up, I would have missed his first real crawl. It finally registered that he needed the independence to fix his own issues, in order to learn and grow. Since you learn your child's cries, you will know which ones they can fix themselves and which ones they need mommy for. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When it comes to breast feeding, make small goals.  If things don't work out you don't feel as down about it all.  This was so true with me and DS.  I made a small goal of one week, then when I hit that my goal was 3 weeks, then 6, etc.  If you say something like I will do it for a year and then things don't work out, you feel like you let baby down.

And also, formula won't kill your kid!  Best advice my Sister ever gave me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Along the lines of BF'ing, it's going to hurt, A LOT the first month.  You will cry and your toes will curl because it is so painful (even if baby has a good latch).  Buy a nipple shield, get some lanolin and let your boobs air out (no bra).  After about a month they will 'toughen' up. 

Oh and there will be times where you think you are at the end of your rope.  If your LO is fed and dry don't feel bad if you have to lay them down and walk away for 5 or 10 minutes to compose yourself.  You are only human and it's better for you and the baby for you to step away for a few minutes and gather your wits. 
  • Along the lines of BF'ing, it's going to hurt, A LOT the first month.  You will cry and your toes will curl because it is so painful (even if baby has a good latch).  Buy a nipple shield, get some lanolin and let your boobs air out (no bra).  After about a month they will 'toughen' up.   
    I don't know if this is always true. A lot of times, the pain is a sign of a bad latch. For me, my nipples did not hurt, but I did get a pins and needles sensation during let down for the first week or so. Other than that, I didn't have cracked nipples or any other pain.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • MsCrispy said:

Along the lines of BF'ing, it's going to hurt, A LOT the first month.  You will cry and your toes will curl because it is so painful (even if baby has a good latch).  Buy a nipple shield, get some lanolin and let your boobs air out (no bra).  After about a month they will 'toughen' up.   

I don't know if this is always true. A lot of times, the pain is a sign of a bad latch. For me, my nipples did not hurt, but I did get a pins and needles sensation during let down for the first week or so. Other than that, I didn't have cracked nipples or any other pain.

It sounds like your LO had tongue tie too! My LO's tongue wasn't long enough to cover her bottom gumline, which was so painful gnawing into my breast. It hurt the first half week until I started using the nipple shield every.single.time until her tongue tie loosened enough at 3 months. I'm so glad I didn't give up on breastfeeding-- these are my sweetest memories of LO's first year.

Best advice I followed was sleep often, like when baby napped. Be persistent with BFing and dont give up! also, be gentle with hubby and compliment him often and let him spend alone time with LO from the beginning so they can develop a tight bond too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"