January 2014 Moms
Options

Those who are RH Negative

I'm planning on having DH find out his blood type in the coming weeks, because I personally would prefer not to get the rhogam shot unless absolutely necessary (although I'm pretty sure his blood type is positive, so I likely will need it anyway).  Just out of curiosity, if you know your partner is also negative, do you still get the shot?  My OB thinks it's a good idea to only get it if DH is positive, but I've also heard of doctors who give it regardless of partner's blood type, so I was just curious about this.
                    Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

Re: Those who are RH Negative

• Options
    My DH is positive and I had to get it. However, even if he wasn't, my doctor wanted me to get it because there are people in his family that are positive.
    Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
    Partially Complex (my blog)
  • Options
    Another thing I've never heard of!  What is this?!  Apparently, I need to start compiling a list to talk to my OB about!

Jan '14 Siggy Challenge: Things I've had to deprive myself of while pregnant:

imageimage

Rum & Coke...mmm!!                                              Laying on my stomach!  Can't wait!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another thing I've never heard of!  What is this?!  Apparently, I need to start compiling a list to talk to my OB about!
    If you have a negative blood type, you may need a shot of rhogam around 28 weeks and possibly after the baby is born so your body doesn't create antibodies against the fetus.  It isn't typically an issue during first pregnancy, but can cause miscarriages during subsequent ones.

• Options
    My DH is positive and I had to get it. However, even if he wasn't, my doctor wanted me to get it because there are people in his family that are positive.
    This is really interesting and something I haven't thought about.  I guess two negative blood types could still produce a baby with a positive one?

• Options
    Thanks @sunflowersbride!  I'm A+ (the only time I've managed to get and maintain an A+ in my life!!!!), so I guess that's why I knew nothing about it!

Jan '14 Siggy Challenge: Things I've had to deprive myself of while pregnant:

imageimage

Rum & Coke...mmm!!                                              Laying on my stomach!  Can't wait!

• Options
    pennstated912pennstated912 member
    edited August 2013
    DH's dad is a positive, DH is positive, SIL is negative. DH used to joke that she was adopted lol.

Also, I'm negative and my brother is positive. I'm not quite sure how it works because from everything I learned in biology class about genetics - technically all should be positive.
    Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
    Partially Complex (my blog)
  • Options
    jldubb0626jldubb0626 member
    edited August 2013
    DH is positive so I have to get it anyway, but since both of my parents have positive blood types as well, I wasn't going to risk it even if DH would have been negative.

@juliasmama2012 - Because I have a negative blood type and DH has a positive, I have to get a rhogam shot whenever I have bleeding during pregnancy, at 28 weeks and after I give birth. It's given to me to stop my body from creating antibodies against the fetus on the off chance the baby has a positive blood type. This article covers it nicely.

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/rhfactor-2.html
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Options
    My doctor doesn't do it if you're both negative, but they already ordered my shot back when I first became a patient and I already paid for it, so I am going to do it anyway, since it won't hurt anything. DH had his blood drawn last week but we dont' know the results yet.

Here's an interesting post about why it might be a good idea to do it anyway, even though two negative parents creating a positive baby is genetically unlikely.
    TWO Babies in 2014!
    DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

• Options
    I am RH- as is my sister but my parents aren't. I'm not sure what my husband is so I will be getting the shot. My OB didn't mention any other options for not getting it.
    Married 05.19.12 
      Lucas Anthony born 12.29.13
    image image

• Options
    My OB said she recommends it for everyone but I have the option to decline if DH is negative as well. DH went for blood work a few weeks ago to find out and I have forgotten to ask him what he is! Thanks for the reminder!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options

I would double check or get a second opinion about not getting the shot if your DH is Rh negative, particularly if he has a sibling who is Rh+. From what I understand your husband can still pass on an Rh+ gene if he is Rh-, because his parents could have had + and - genes. I think the mother automatically passes on whatever Rh factor she has, but the father can pass either.

I'm Rh- and my husband is Rh+. Both my children are Rh+, but both have the Rh- gene because of me (if what I recall about genetics is accurate.) It's something you don't want to mess with, especially if you are not done having children.

• Options
    With DD, I got it when I had a SCH at 14 weeks (they thought my bleed could have been related to a Rh- reaction) I got another at 28 weeks. When DD was born, she was neg. that means DH is neg (two negatives can't equal anything but a negative). So now more rhogam shots for this momma!
  • Options
    wilburbud said:

I never bothered to find out what blood type DH is. I had the shot with both pregnancies. Its not that big of a deal.

I definitely know it's not a big deal, I just personally would rather not receive a shot that is made from human blood product during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary, KWIM?

• Options
    I am RH negative (A- blood type) and will most likely be getting the shot. My doctor told me that if I don't get the shot, my body will build up antibodies that can affect future pregnancies and cause miscarriage. The shot prevents body from creating antibodies

• Options
    If your husband is opposite of you I would not get it at 28 weeks but wait until baby is born and check his/her blood type right away and then, if necessary, I would get the shot. I am negative and H is positive. I've received the shot while pregnant but haven't had to after giving birth because baby's have all been negative also.
  • Options
    I am O- and my OB wants me to get the shots.  She did not test DH, said she wanted me to get the shot regardless to be safe.  Since I can only receive O- blood, I was wondering if I should have my own blood drawn in preparation of delivery in case there is a complication.  Thoughts? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Already had it because I had a little bleeding very early on. It wasn't a big deal at all. Better safe than sorry IMO. My new doc will apparently give it to me again in the coming weeks and i think again after delivery. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I am O- and my OB wants me to get the shots.  She did not test DH, said she wanted me to get the shot regardless to be safe.  Since I can only receive O- blood, I was wondering if I should have my own blood drawn in preparation of delivery in case there is a complication.  Thoughts? 

I'm also Oneg and asked my OB this.  He said that the shot is safe for Oneg so I don't have to worry about that.

My OB didn't even bother finding out what DH is.  Because I already have blood issues I am getting the shot. 

M/C April 2005
    M/C July 2006
    BFP 9/28/12
    M/C 10/9/12
    10/30/12 diagnosed with Lupus Anticoagulation
    TTC again 3/11/13
    BFP 5/23/13!! Due Jan 29 with twin boys!

October Siggy Challenge ~ Baby Hitler

• Options
    @KristaBelieve - I am also O- :-) Interesting idea. I don't have the blood to spare right now personally, I don't think the let pregnant women give blood b/c your body is busy trying to make enough blood for the growing baby, etc. So it probably isn't something you can do proactively. Maybe if you're concerned find a O- friend/family member to bank some for you? But I feel like hospitals are pretty well prepared for stuff like this as long as there isn't some huge disaster coinciding w/your labor causing a shortage. But I don't know really.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm RH- and I'm getting the shot at 28 weeks. My sister is RH- too.
  • Options

This is really interesting and something I haven't thought about.  I guess two negative blood types could still produce a baby with a positive one?

No not at all. If you and hubby are def neg, you can only have a neg baby. They *suggest* getting the shot if you say that you know hubby is neg bc you night be wrong. If he tests and result proven that he is neg no shot is necessary. My ob will only waive the shot if FI comes to MY docs to be tested. They are that cautious. No reason the test to avoid the shot,OP. The shot is not harmful to you or the baby. I am Rh neg and FI may or may not be. We are just going to proceed with the shot. I've had the shot in the past with my ectopic. NBD.

• Options
    BMReid said:
    I was told only if H was positive. The literature my OB gave me on it says it's not necessary if your partner is negative.
    this. I am RH- and will be getting the shot because DH is positive.
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
  • Options
    good point @mlegal

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm O- and my doctor didnt even offer to test my S/O. She said I would be getting it at 28 weeks and after the birth regardless. I'm assuming its safe since she wasn't too pressed about what his blood type was.

Surprise #1! 

BFP: 5/14/2013

8/06/2013 - [it's a girl!]

EDD: 1/18/2014  imageimage
  • Options
    Not necessary if your partner is negative. DH is positive though.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"