February 2012 Moms

Negative Test ???

Hi Ladies!  I was on here frequently when pregnant w/ my LO who is almost 19 months now under the name whitetulips - I've lost that sign on info so created a new acct.  ANYWAY - I'm hoping that someone on here may help me w/ my question - I'm 5 days late w/ my period & have taken 2 pregnancy tests that both showed up as NOT pregnant.  I thought - ok my period is just late - even though I'm v regular.  But today I have felt nausea for most of the day & even had food aversion to a favorite food of mine - guacamole.   These occurrences have brought back the feelings of my first pregnancy so I'm curious how common is a "false" negative?  Has that ever happened to anyone on here?  My husband and I just planned on trying to conceive this last month - so we haven't been trying v long - in fact this would be the first time actively trying so I'm floored that I could possibly be pregnant already but w/ the negative results & no period & "that feeling" showing up today has me so confused.  

Any feed back is greatly appreciated! :) 
<image> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Negative Test ???

• Do you chart? You may have ovulated later than normal and don't have enough HCG to turn a test positive yet. What kind of tests did you take? I'd take a FRER.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • No I don't chart - I use an app though. I normally get my period every 28 -29 days.  BUT never am I 5 days late.  I used first reponse, the same I did w/ my pregnancy before and I was 2 days late and it showed positive. 
  • Loading the player...
  • LOL I just realized what FRER is & yes I use the same!
  • You are always regular until you aren't.  There are a million reasons you could be "late" but you wouldn't know unless you are charting and temping.  If you are pregnant enough for symptoms, you are pregnant enough to turn a stick positive.

Keep testing every week or so and if you go 60 days without a period or a BFP then call you doctor.

And whatever you do, do NOT post this on the TTGP board.  They will tear you apart.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• @MrMrsandBaby a good warning!

Good luck OP! I hope it turns up positive or you figure out what is doing on. I agree with charting-if I didn't chart I would be totally clueless on my cycle....even though I do now and feel that way now!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You are always regular until you aren't.  There are a million reasons you could be "late" but you wouldn't know unless you are charting and temping.  If you are pregnant enough for symptoms, you are pregnant enough to turn a stick positive.

Keep testing every week or so and if you go 60 days without a period or a BFP then call you doctor.

And whatever you do, do NOT post this on the TTGP board.  They will tear you apart.
    So true...! Much better to bring these questions here.
  • aaaah ok - thanks for the advice. I've unwittingly asked an insensate question. Thanks for your kindness on here though - much appreciated!

I guess I was more interested in knowing if anyone here personally had a "negative" that was really a positive...does that happen a lot?

I'm perplexed either way.  Something isn't right even though I haven't charted I know the length in b/w my periods and I can't say I've ever been this "late" before. As of yesterday still a negative pregnancy test. Do ppl really wait 60 days before going to their dr?  
  • Yep, 60 days is usually the norm to wait before going to the Dr. to get a prescription to make their period come. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• False negatives, at least repeated ones, are rare.  If you are really concerned call your doctor.  Maybe they will do a blood test or something for you, but mine only confirms with a urine test.

Let us know how it goes.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• 60 days is the norm to wait without a period. I had to call for a script for Provera to start my period pretty much every "cycle". I would get phantom symptoms almost every single cycle, even obscure ones like metal mouth! Your body can do really weird things. Good luck to you!

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• This happened to me before I got pregnant with LO2. I was convinced I was pregnant. But, alas, I was not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks again ladies for your feedback!  I guess I'm not really anxious about being pregnant so soon after "giving the green light" for trying for baby #2...if I am wonderful if not we have just started the process so I have no reason to think it won't happen in time.  However, how ironic not to get my period the first month of trying when I have been so "on time" in the past...it's taking away all my concentration.  Am I or am I not...and if not ....where the H is AF????  

I'm not taking another test until 10 days late and then I plan on calling my dr either way.  I'll let you all know how things progress...and thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I remember being on here all the time w/ my first and it was always so reassuring to interact w/ everyone on here.  :)
  • Were you on bc?  Coming off bc can throw you off, significantly, for a few months before your body figures out what it's supposed to do again.  So, if you were on bc that's likely the reason you are 'late'.

• No I haven't been on bc -  we've just been "careful" since having our daughter.  

UPDATE!  AF arrived - at least I'm spotting and that is something.  Weird so late...the only thing I can think of is DH & I are leaving DD for the first time next month for a 7 night cruise...I've been feeling much anxiety leaving her for such a long trip esp not having been away even one night before....maybe it's causing me more stress than I'm aware.  At any rate I'm going to start charting and keep track of my cycles going forward to see if there is a change in pattern.  W/ my DD I didn't chart - I knew the clues w/ my body and also followed the 10-14 day method. We had sex 1 time during the time frame for 2 cycles and got pregnant!  So I"m going to try and relax about it this time too but this month def threw me for a loop!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"