December 2012 Moms
Options

Peanuts - When do you plan to introduce?

There are many different views in terms of when nuts should be introduced and I'm curious what others are planning? I would generally err on the side of caution, but with there being some research that introducing earlier might actually decrease the chance of an allergy I'm not sure how I feel. There are no nut allergies in our family, but I know I am going to be really nervous when the time comes. This will definitely be an interesting conversation with the pediatrician.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: Peanuts - When do you plan to introduce?

• Options
    She's accidentally been introduced to peanut butter. She hasn't had any reaction, but I'm not going to purposely give it just yet.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    DD has had a VERY light strip of peanut butter on some toast fingers 2 or 3 times.  We have no nut allergies on either side of the family.  We have also done eggs and strawberries, so I might be on the liberal side here...

We do have fish allergies on both sides of our families, so we won't be introducing that for a long time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dd just had a few bits of peanut butter toast this weekend. No reaction or anything and I think she liked it. We don't have any allergies in our families but I still want to be cautious. 
    My goofy little love. I love you Alexandra Marie.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My mother in law took care of that for us right before 8 months....she gave DD a nutter butter when we were out car shopping....she didn't do it to be ugly- she didn't even think about peanut butter being an issue until I remarked that at least we now knew DD wasn't allergic to peanuts. To be fair, however, we've been following our ped's advice. She said the only foods we really had to avoid were straight cow's milk and honey...and we don't have any food allergies on either side of the family.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    My pediatrician actually gave us the ok at 6 months. So she's been eating it for about 2 months. We started slowly and really watched for a reaction but now she has it a lot. My DH and I have no family history of allergies but if we did I would have been a lot more cautious. At this point all we've held off on is honey. I was going to wait on strawberries but my FIL gave her some not knowing and she didn't have any type of reaction.
  • Options
    We don't do baby food, we just start giving table food around 8-9 months old with our kids.  Anyways @ 2 weeks ago our almost 9 month old started eating PB&J sandwiches.  I had EBF up until that point and always eat PB&J so I know from other mothers I personally know that kids have food allergies, when they were breast feeding and ate those foods their babies developed a rash right away.  That's not a guarantee but being DH & I have no family history of food allergies and no allergies developed while breast feeding, I've never held back any type of foods.  
  • Options
    I'm not sure with nuts. We don't have any food allergies in our families, and LO has already had strawberries, eggs and shellfish. For some reason Im just scared to give her nuts because I love them and would cry if I had to keep them out of the house. I doubt she's allergic-she's had some exposure Im sure with the amount I eat (either off my fingers or through BF) but I've never given her any. I guess I will after 9 months. Just arbitrary, but that's when I will allow her to try cows milk (not as a replacement for BM though).
  • Options
    We've already done peanut butter. It will be a while before actual peanuts b/c of the crunch and choking factor. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to this stuff tho - we've already done strawberries, fish, eggs, etc. We pretty much do anything except honey now (or straight WCM or juice - just not necessary).
  • Options
    This is incredibly taboo however I've been feeding my son whatever I eat since he was 4months old So far he hasn't had reactions to anything and that's considering my eclectic Asian-American diet. Given they're not full meals, they're little bites at a time but he's fine and has been having more and more of my plate. I believe you should ask your ped and see. Good luck.
  • Options
    My first was 9 months.  Probably will be about the same with my littlest (8 1/2 months now).  Our kids eat whatever we eat from 6 months on, generally.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"