February 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else feel this way?

Almost every single day I feel like I don't know what to do with DD. Nothing keeps her occupied for very long, and her attention span gets worse as the day goes on. It just seems like she's bored alllll the time, unless we're out somewhere and there are people to watch. It's getting very frustrating. I feel like I spend all day waiting for her next nap or bedtime so that she's not fussing because she's bored.
As far as things we do around the house, she has a play mat, jumper (which she still hasn't figured out how to use), walker, and super seat. She has various toys/rattles that I put on the floor when she has floor time. I read her books, we sit outside, we go for walks. We visit family several times a week, and every Sunday we have church where she gets to see other kids in the nursery. It seems like logically there are enough activities, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something wrong because she's not happy with anything for any length of time. I'm kind of dreading winter, because sitting outside and taking walks are 2 things that actually keep her occupied for longer than 10 minutes.
She's *so close* to crawling. I assume that once she starts crawling, I'll be wishing for these times back? Haha.
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: Anyone else feel this way?

• Options
    Yea my DS is like this too. I have to plan "outings" to the store and the park because he just gets bored so easily. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It's more of a temperament thing.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I sit on the floor with her for hours and play with her. She's much less fussy/bored when I'm down engaging with her. Of course that means I'm exhausted and I can't get anything done around the house, but it makes her happy.
    This is something that I really suck at. I know I should play with her more but I just run out of ideas very quickly. I think I need lessons on how to entertain kids.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some ways that I play with DD: DD has stacking cups so I stack them and DD knocks them down. Or I make her animals talk or I lay on my stomach while she's on hers. It's not exciting but it keeps her happy. Sometimes I just hold her on my lap while she plays with Sophie or a rattle. We do yoga together. I just try to get on her level.
    I do these things as well! I also sing him a lot of songs - he loves the ones with hand motions like "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and "Wheels on the Bus". We play "Where's Mama?" and other peekaboo type games that he seems to like.

Also do you have the Kick and Play gym? For some reason I remember you having that as well. Anyhow, if LO can sit unassisted (even shlumpy-baboon style) you can flip the piano part up so they can bang on it with their hands. I just did this with DS and he's like, "Whoa, I'm playing the piano!" :P

I hear you though - it's exhausting. There's only so many times I can do "This little piggie" in a day!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    @Drea926: yes, we do have the kick and play piano gym! She's getting pretty good at sitting up so I will have to try flipping the piano up. I sorta forgot it did that! Thanks :)

• Options
    DC2London said:

www.productiveparenting.com

:)
    This is great.
  • Options
    DC2London said:

www.productiveparenting.com

:)
    Thanks!!!

• Options
    Sagen said:
    Thank you too! I look forward to perusing these websites more when I get a chance! Seriously, I really needed some ideas, haha.

• Options
    I teach Kindermusik classes, so I have found it really easy to find ways to interact with LO. The class gives parents lots of ideas for playtime activities. Do you have a Kindermusik class in your area? It would be a fun activity to do out, but the real magic is when you take what you learned in class home. :)

Plus, you learn a TON of songs, which is always good with little ones!
  • Options
    kleigh926kleigh926 member
    edited August 2013

I teach Kindermusik classes, so I have found it really easy to find ways to interact with LO. The class gives parents lots of ideas for playtime activities. Do you have a Kindermusik class in your area? It would be a fun activity to do out, but the real magic is when you take what you learned in class home. :)

Plus, you learn a TON of songs, which is always good with little ones!
    *Edited*
    I just went to the kindermusik website and found out that there are 2 classes within 10 miles of us! The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure one of them is taught by the wife of one of the doctors I work with.... he has a very unique last name so I would be surprised if there was someone unrelated this close with the same last name. Awesome. I will have to look into this as well.

• Options
    Great resources!!

And @expatmama, you are awesome. When I had DD1 I was so overwhelmed (in part because she was a preemie) and felt like it was such a big thing to go anywhere with her. Now that I have two, I think -- What was I thinking? I could have done anything I wanted with just one! But two?

If/When we have a third I bet I'll think the same thing about two ;-)

But really, as I've mentioned before, entertaining a baby is mostly a FTM problem (and I know it was a problem for me. @kleigh926, I could have written your post two years ago). Now I'm still busy trying to entertain DD1 and DD2 watches us as her entertainment. And now she has started to roll over and check out DD1's toys on her own, much to DD1's dismay.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I'm with expatmama. 

This may sound terrible, but the baby is just sort of along for the ride in my house.  I very rarely do activities that are geared toward her.  She hangs out in a carrier or in the bouncy seat on the floor with a toy while the rest of us go about our business.  Of course, everyone in the house takes time to interact with her and give her a hug or make silly faces at her here and there, but for the most part she is content just observing everything that is going on.  I think she is learning by just soaking in all of the busyness around her.

The only times during the day that I consciously focus solely on the baby are during naps and after the older kids have gone to bed.  DD2 may get some nakey time without a diaper on the family room floor where DH and I talk to her and try to get her to crawl to us, or we'll play peek-a-boo or something.  The rest of the day is too busy to spend entertaining her.  Even when I'm nursing I'm usually checking my email, reading a book to the older kids, or trying to get something else done.

I did A LOT of entertaining when I only had one.  He's a really smart kid and I often wonder how much has to do with the fact that I had so much free time to dote over him all day long.  I sometimes feel guilty that the subsequent children get less one-on-one interaction with me, but I know in my heart that they are benefitting from the constant interaction with siblings and that it all equals out. 

With all that said, despite rarely doing things JUST for the baby, she is content and happy to be along for the ride.  She enjoys hanging out in the carrier and being close to me, just observing the other kids, even if it's just to run to the grocery store or watch me do the dishes.

• Options
    I also should add that I think the reason I am so against sleep training and love bedsharing so much has a lot to do with feeling guilty about not giving my babies as much one-on-one time as I would like.  I guess I look at the time we spend cuddling together at night as some of our most important bonding time.  It's really one of the only times in the day that it is just me and her.  That's why there is no rush to get her in her own crib, because then I wouldn't really have any time alone with her.

• Options
     Yup I'm with expatmama, adamwife and DC. Having more than one kiddo is a real game changer. 

I still do feel guilty that DD doesnt have my full attention, and there are times when I just have to leave her to cry as I'm stuck changing DS or doing the littler trays or the washing up or whatever else ,and I  just cant pick her up right then.  And boy does she let rip sometimes!! I've alot to do and so she just keeps me company, usually  sitting in  the bumbo or highchair, or lying on the bed or playmat.

Like adamwife, I feel that bedsharing is my one on one time with her and wouldn't change that for anything.

But 

• Options
    Every day for the last six years... since DD was born! I swear even today she has the attention span of a flea.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"