Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

table food woes

DD started solids at 5 months old and has been spoon fed purees and stage three gerber foods. Other thsn puffs, mum mums, cherios and a few other table foods, she refuses to eat table food. Any suggestions? I do offer table fooods first but since mo see t of it ends up being untouched I have to spoon feed jarred and she eats fine. And most of the time spoon feeding is a challenge too. I am an FTM.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: table food woes

• Options
    I could have wrote this word for word about our lo. We asked our pedi about it, and he said just keep offering. Also practice feeding with you so. Like my Ds and I will offer food to one another in front of him. He's getting it, its just taking a long time!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The only suggestion I have (which I'm sure doesn't sound like the advice you want) is keep offering it. Sooner or later she will get the hang of it and start feeding herself. If she's eating puffs, etc then you don't have anything to worry about. It's all about her time schedule. We just went through this and then about 2 weeks ago my LO (9.5 months now) started picking it up. I know even now if it's a new food that she hasn't fed herself she won't pick it up. I end up putting a couple bites of whatever it is on her tray and then pick them up and feed them to her. So that way she sees them on the tray and that they're food and sooner or later she starts to pick them up too. It's amazing that she puts everything within reach in her mouth, but when it's a new food on her tray of her high chair she won't touch it. But after a few days of her seeing it it's like old business and she'll gobble it up. We do make sure to give her something to feed herself with every meal even if pureed is the main source of food. Practice makes perfect! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the tips.  It makes sense and it is what I was hoping to hear.  Thanks again!

The only suggestion I have (which I'm sure doesn't sound like the advice you want) is keep offering it. Sooner or later she will get the hang of it and start feeding herself. If she's eating puffs, etc then you don't have anything to worry about. It's all about her time schedule. We just went through this and then about 2 weeks ago my LO (9.5 months now) started picking it up. I know even now if it's a new food that she hasn't fed herself she won't pick it up. I end up putting a couple bites of whatever it is on her tray and then pick them up and feed them to her. So that way she sees them on the tray and that they're food and sooner or later she starts to pick them up too. It's amazing that she puts everything within reach in her mouth, but when it's a new food on her tray of her high chair she won't touch it. But after a few days of her seeing it it's like old business and she'll gobble it up. We do make sure to give her something to feed herself with every meal even if pureed is the main source of food. Practice makes perfect! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options
    We went through the same thing around 9/10 months. 

DD just started to figure it out eventually. Just keep offering a variety of foods. 
    For purees/spoon feeding - it helped to give DD her own spoon so she could play with it/try to feed herself while I fed her with another spoon (so she actually got some in her mouth). 
    For finger foods - just keep offering. Try things of varying sizes/textures/colours/etc and LO will catch on eventually. 

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"