Northern California Babies

LPCH@Stanford vs. ECH for delivery?

I'm in my first trimester and trying to decide which OBGYN to stick with. I like both that I've met -- one with Altos Oaks Medical Group who delivers at El Camino Hospital and the other with Palo Alto Medical Foundation who delivers at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. 

While their care and attitude is similar and bedside manner very comforting, I also want to feel assured that the facility I give birth in is well equipped to handle any emergencies. Some friends who've given birth in the last couple of years seem to favor El Camino Hospital over Stanford, while others seem to have had a horrible experience at both hospitals. 

I'm wondering if you might have any insights/recommendations/tips to share.

Many thanks for your help.
---------------
My age: 35; DH age: 36
DH had vasectomy reversal 05/03/13
TTC June 2013
Labs done 6/29; FSH=5.0; Estradiol=62; TSH=2.12
BFP: 07/28/13 7:24 a.m.
First u/s: 7w4d 13mm 164bpm
Heartbeat at 11w0d: 151bpm
Verifi test: negative for Trisomy 13, 18 and Down's syndrome; we're having a girl!!! (98% accuracy)
NT Ultrasound: 9/23/13 All OK 63.8mm 158bpm

EDD: 04/04/14 (also our 11th Wedding Anniversary!)

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: LPCH@Stanford vs. ECH for delivery?

• I don't have any insights, but my gyn (now obgyn) is at Altos Oaks, and I've been happy so far with non-pg visits and the practice.  I plan to stick with them and deliver at ECH.
  • I'm new to this group - usually post in May 2013 babies. I just had to chime in. I delivered at El Camino Hospital and my doctor is with PAMF. I love my doctor and PAMF overall, although she was not the one who I worked with during delivery (it's whoever is on call that day). My delivery experience was fine, but my recovery experience at El Camino was not good. The nurses were kind, but everyone there ignored the signs of a serious intestinal issue (he was spitting up green bile multiple times- not normal!). We brought it up to everyone - doctors, nurses. They passed it off. They also sent me home without having successfully breastfed on my own. 

We ended up in the ER 4 days after being sent home - it was a dangerous situation for my baby. He ended up being transferred that night to the LPCH NICU where we stayed for 2 weeks and he had to have surgery. I so wish they would have caught it much sooner. 

It just seemed that they had an "everything's fine" attitude and didn't look into things that were going wrong. I'm not sure if the experience would have been different anywhere else, but I certainly hope it would have been. 

El Camino would be fine for a normal, healthy baby I'm sure.

That being said - I will be delivering my next baby at LPCH, but sticking with my doctor at PAMF.

I know my opinion is very biased and based on our one experience, when I'm sure many have had a good experience, so please take it with a grain of salt. It was a scary first month so my emotions rule my opinion of ECH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • curiousmindcuriousmind member
    edited August 2013
    theresaw7 said:
    I'm new to this group - usually post in May 2013 babies. I just had to chime in. I delivered at El Camino Hospital and my doctor is with PAMF. I love my doctor and PAMF overall, although she was not the one who I worked with during delivery (it's whoever is on call that day). My delivery experience was fine, but my recovery experience at El Camino was not good. The nurses were kind, but everyone there ignored the signs of a serious intestinal issue (he was spitting up green bile multiple times- not normal!). We brought it up to everyone - doctors, nurses. They passed it off. They also sent me home without having successfully breastfed on my own. 

We ended up in the ER 4 days after being sent home - it was a dangerous situation for my baby. He ended up being transferred that night to the LPCH NICU where we stayed for 2 weeks and he had to have surgery. I so wish they would have caught it much sooner. 

It just seemed that they had an "everything's fine" attitude and didn't look into things that were going wrong. I'm not sure if the experience would have been different anywhere else, but I certainly hope it would have been. 

El Camino would be fine for a normal, healthy baby I'm sure.

That being said - I will be delivering my next baby at LPCH, but sticking with my doctor at PAMF.

I know my opinion is very biased and based on our one experience, when I'm sure many have had a good experience, so please take it with a grain of salt. It was a scary first month so my emotions rule my opinion of ECH!
    Thank you! I've decided to stick with the OB at PAMF because he reassured me that the delivery at LPCH would be handled by him or one of his five colleagues and NOT by residents (which I've heard is the norm when you're a Stanford patient). 

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with ECH. It sounds really scary. But at least we live in an area where there are other options... 
    ---------------
    My age: 35; DH age: 36
    DH had vasectomy reversal 05/03/13
    TTC June 2013
    Labs done 6/29; FSH=5.0; Estradiol=62; TSH=2.12
    BFP: 07/28/13 7:24 a.m.
    First u/s: 7w4d 13mm 164bpm
    Heartbeat at 11w0d: 151bpm
    Verifi test: negative for Trisomy 13, 18 and Down's syndrome; we're having a girl!!! (98% accuracy)
    NT Ultrasound: 9/23/13 All OK 63.8mm 158bpm

EDD: 04/04/14 (also our 11th Wedding Anniversary!)

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"