Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Fever

When do you get concerned with fever with a 5 month old?

I know younger than 3 months any fever is concerning. But we're hovering around 101 over here and we've given Tylenol.

I noticed it this afternoon, he's VERY sleepy, doesn't want to eat as much as normal and just overall very crabby as one could imagine.

When do we need to go to the doctor/hospital?

Re: Fever

• Options
    What other symptoms is LO having? If he's having symptoms of a cold (runny nose, congestion, cough, etc.), it's likely what's causing his fever and dr visit not necessary.  If he has no other symptoms other than being grumpy, it could be something like a UTI (is he circumcised?) which would need a doctors visit to check. 
  • Options
    Sounds like teething maybe? LO is teething right now and is super crabby, day and night and does not want to nurse much. He is drooling a lot and has excess saliva, which they say could be the cause of not wanting to eat much.
    proof-3 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alao
    mrsdeanna said:

Sounds like teething maybe? LO is teething right now and is super crabby, day and night and does not want to nurse much. He is drooling a lot and has excess saliva, which they say could be the cause of not wanting to eat much.

Also teething can cause low grade fevers.

proof-3 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    mrsdeanna said:
    Alao
    Also teething can cause low grade fevers.
    Teething shouldn't cause a temp of 101. 
  • Options
    Does it go down at all with Tylenol?  If there are no other symptoms, you kind of just have to wait it out.  Of course, if it makes you feel better to call your pedi, do, but you definitely don't need to head to the hospital or urgent care or anything.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We have him Tylenol and it seemed to work so that was great.

We had a case of major vomiting which isn't like him so I'm going to take him to the pedi this morning just to make sure. He has been pulling at his ear the day before and I just want to make sure he doesn't have an infection.

Thank you!
  • Options
    I'd call a doc for a temp of 101, even if only to rule out an ear infection, etc. that may require antibiotics.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"