Preemies
Options

Intro and milk question

Hi ladies - my LO was born last Saturday at 34w 5d and is currently in the nicu (but doing really well considering!). She can latch on to me using a nipple shield but I'm still not producing enough milk. We started supplementing her on thurs so at least I feel like she's not starving. I'm pumping like crazy but getting no where (about 5-10ml per 20min session). Did this happen to anyone else? Nurses seem to think its stress related and are telling me keep it up. Any advice is much appreciated! This board seems like a great group and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Re: Intro and milk question

• Options
    Welcome & congrats! I never pumped more than 40ml between both breasts while DD was in the NICU. I drank mother's milk tea, ate oatmeal, and drank dark beer to try to increase production. When that didn't work I started taking fenugreek & blessed thistle. Now I've been seeing a LC since she came home from the hospital and she has me on a cocktail of herbs & supplements. In addition to the first two I also take malunggay, Shatavari, goat's rue, and domperidone. I'm now making about 50% of what se needs. She got 1.8oz from me at the last weighted feed. You can try the mother's milk tea and oatmeal first,then try the fenugreek and blessed thistle. You can get them from Whole Foods. Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. Ill check out whole foods for the tea! I'm hoping once she's home things will turn around but you're right - I totally feel like my body is failing on all levels. Thanks for the advice. Just knowing I'm not the only one is reassuring.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome! I think it took me about 2 weeks to get my supply and more than a month until I was pumping enough for a regular newborn (about an ounce an hour). Here's what I did:
    • double pumped with a simple wishes bra
    • breast massage before and during pumping
    • pumped every three hours during the day with two four hour stretches at night
    • once a week or so, slept an 8 hour stretch 
    • on the nights I slept at home, took a super hot shower or got in the hot tub and then power pumped (20 min on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off, 10 on)
    • on the nights I slept in the NICU, kangaroo her for 2-3 hours then power pumped
    • drink water like the Earth was drying up and eat ALL the time 
    Good luck!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"