Babies: 0 - 3 Months

PCOS?

Does anyone here have PCOS? What are your symptoms and how do you get tested for this? The reason I ask...I tried to breastfeed and just couldn't because I didn't produce enough milk.  I supplemented for awhile but now I am totally just formula feeding. I know hormonal problems can interfere with milk production. I was thinking about going to see if I have it but wonder how they diagnose it?

Re: PCOS?

• I have atypical PCOS - which basically just amounts to just having the symptom of irregular periods/infrequent ovulation.  I was diagnosed by a reproductive endocrinologist after having blood work and ultrasounds done at specific times during my menstrual cycle.  I haven't had any problems with my milk production - but I'm pretty sure my prolactin levels were normal with my bloodwork, so that makes sense.

If your cycle returns, you can get bloodwork and ultrasounds done to diagnose PCOS - but do you have any other symptoms that lead you to think you might have PCOS?  It seems a bit extreme to jump to this conclusion based on trouble BFing.  And a lot of bother to get the testing done.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • There are a lot of factors that come into play with milk production issues. I would talk with your Dr about your systems and what tests are needed. I know my production was affected by an undiagnosed thyroid issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have PCOS, but I am not sure PCOS necessarily causes breastfeeding issues. I say this because I saw a lactation consultant when I was having breastfeeding issues, and mentioned that I had PCOS, and they didn't seem to think that would be a cause of problems. I did have an under-active thyroid as well, and that can definitely causes issues, but once on treatment I was fine. What they had me do was pump with a hospital grade pump 8 times a day to increase production.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Sea ConquestSea Conquest member
    edited August 2013

I have PCOS, but I am not sure PCOS necessarily causes breastfeeding issues. I say this because I saw a lactation consultant when I was having breastfeeding issues, and mentioned that I had PCOS, and they didn't seem to think that would be a cause of problems. I did have an under-active thyroid as well, and that can definitely causes issues, but once on treatment I was fine. What they had me do was pump with a hospital grade pump 8 times a day to increase production.

PCOS causes supply issues in a great many women. Studies have shown a link between insulin dysregulation and low supply. I'd link but am mobile. If you didn't have supply issues and have PCOS, consider yourself very lucky.

• Also, you might want to google the markers for insufficient glandular tissue. If you have hypoplastic breasts, which are also common with PCOS, you have anatomical reasons for the supply problems. Many women have both IGT and PCOS.
  • Ah ok, well maybe my lactation consultant just didn't know a lot about PCOS. I have had minor supply issues but have still managed to breastfeed for the most part.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"