Blended Families

Update to post about SS that turned into flame about outside dog =)

Short version: The landlord has approved the furbaby to stay inside! :D even though I snuck him in before anyways. hehe

Thanks to BM! We don't involve the landlord in the personal things that go on in this situation, we attend the same church as he and his family and I am involved with the school as his wife is so she knows more about it from the teachers and so on.

A couple of weeks ago, DH asked the landlord if he minded if we put up no trespassing signs. He was fine with it but wanted to know why, this property is about 7 acres or maybe a little more and all the way at the back the landlord has silos that he doesn't use as well as a barn that he uses to store hay and equipment. DH told him a little about the situation.

The same day the no trespassing signs were put up, BM showed up thinking that no one was home... I was. I didn't know it was her at first as she was in an unfamiliar vehicle but I knew it wasn't someone just turning around as our driveway is a little over a quarter mile before you reach the house and the garage is behind the house. I went to the back door to see who it was and saw BM getting out of the passenger side and she started coming towards the door that I was standing at. She didn't see me and the driver (who also was unfamiliar to me) was yelling at her that someone was home and to get back in. They backed out of the garage area and crept down the driveway, in the meantime, I ran through the house and was on the front porch by the time they were creeping by there. They sped up, I went to the driveway like WTH, and they sat at the end of the driveway for about a minute before pulling out. I did get a pic of the vehicle but it doesn't show who was inside so it's useless. I wasn't prepared for that or even thinking she would come here, she has no reason to come here on a Wednesday afternoon.

So, we asked the landlord about the furbaby and he came over to see how well trained and behaved he is. He is a family dog and is very protective. He knows who belongs here and who doesn't and he has never liked BM. The landlord said we could keep him inside! I'm thrilled!! He still gets plenty of outside play time, and he is so well behaved that we don't even have to crate him when we leave, But I'm afraid I may have to crate him at times when it's just me and him here, He loves to play rough with DH and I can't play rough right now with a 200lb boxer.

I would like to see her try to break in now.. She won't be leaving.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

Re: Update to post about SS that turned into flame about outside dog =)

• Glad your dog gets to stay inside but a 200 lb boxer?? 
  • Thank you and Yes.... He is HUGE! That's one of the main reasons the landlord didn't want him in the house in the first place. He isn't fat, he's very healthy and muscular.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • That is good news! We have a boxer, but she is tiny compared to your boy. She is 55-60 pounds, and much shorter than my Doberman. Her parents were huge though. Our dogs are mostly outdoor dogs. They don't like coming inside very often anymore. Since I got married and moved to the country they want to be outside all the time. :( Fur baby cuddles are few and far between these days. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • awe, their cuddles are the best! I can't cuddle mine now bc I'm pregnant and he's an aggressive cuddler. lol. We also live in the country and he loves it outside but since we have brought him in to stay, He follows me everyplace and if he wants to go outside to run, I have to be out there with him or he just stands at the door and looks at me.

I had a female boxer before and she wasn't nearly as big as he is but she had lots of issues with tumors so she was constantly having to take meds, surgeries and that cause her to lose her fur as well as weight. I'm surprised he hasn't had any yet as he is all white and they are even more apt to have the tumors.

I stepped outside yesterday without him and thought he was going to break one of the living room windows trying to get out! and every time I go to the bathroom to pee he stands at the door and whines until I come out, downstairs to do laundry he whines until I come back up. I am worried that he is going to jump on me one of these times at the top of the stairs and knock me down so I'm trying to work with him on that. I don't want to have to crate him, he hasn't needed crated since he was a young puppy.

BabyFruit Ticker

• That is fantastic about your dog, but I feel compelled to point out (it's the vet tech in me) that even large boxers are normally in the 70# range. I currently have a boxer foster dog who is not quite even 40lbs but she is really small for the breed.

Few English mastiffs even get to be 200lbs. So next time you can, take him by the scale at the vet to see what he truly weighs. If you are using flea and heartworm prevention, and I hope you are, if you are giving him a dose for a dog greater than 100lbs, it could be too much. Also, to cover a dog who is 200lbs, a combination of different weight categories much be used to get the appropriate dosage.

There is a breeder around here that breeds mastiff boxer crosses for some reason, and even his dogs only get up to about the 120lbs range.
  • I agree that he is big even for a boxer. I'm not sure the reason. I know both of his parents were big too, His doggy mommy is still living but she's sick and the people that DH gave her to won't give her back so we can take her to the vet and they won't take her to the vet. She has a tumor the size of a softball on her hip and it's very agitated. Both mom and dad are pure bred. He came from a litter of 2 and his sister died very young. I'm not sure what of, DH doesn't talk about her much, he was heartbroken when she past.

His dad past over the winter of old age and he got sick, he was depressed. He would barely eat or anything, so he got skinny for a few months and I didn't like that at all, I had them both in the garage during the winter and when the dad past, we could keep a close eye on him, I also snuck him in the house a lot at that point. I tried soaking his food in chicken broth and some weight supplement powder for dogs that I got from the vet ... maybe that had something to do with it? But he wasn't eating much so I don't think he even consumed much of that. I had to use that stuff before for dogs that were malnourished.

I'm not a vet but I did use to foster for dogs when I had the extra money so I was at the vet a lot and I have taken all of my animals to the same vet for years. I loved fostering, my family thought I was crazy bc I preferred the dog park over the mall. I asked DH when the last time he was taken to the vet and he said he was due, I have all of his paperwork ready to go, we just have to wait a couple of weeks to have the money. I know.. it is a priority, we just don't have it right now. I want to get everything done that he needs when we take him in, in case there is a follow up for the knot.

We have heartworm medicine here and it's not outdated but I won't give it to him until I know for sure that's what he is supposed to have. I also noticed a small knot on his side that I want to get checked out when we go in. I would call the vet that DH took him to before to ask them about the medicine but the place no longer exists.

I also agree that we need to know his exact weight. 200lbs isn't exact but it's not far off. He is one of the biggest chested, stout boxers I have ever seen. DH does a lot of lifting and that is his estimate.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• That's a crazy huge boxer.

Crating him sometimes when you are home is fine. Maybe an expen would be better since he is so big. Make it fun for him. Some treat toys that require work, bully sticks or antlers for chewing. Large frozen kong. He will be fine.

I hope that the plan is not to breed him. He sounds very very far from breed standard at that size and that gene pool should not be perpetuated.
  • This may be off topic...but what is flameful about having an outside dog?
  • No there won't be any breeding. We have had many offers and he isn't neutered but won't be bred. DH has said that he doesn't even want anymore dogs after this one. He gets attached and when they pass he is heartbroken. I have always adopted or taken in strays. And I wouldn't even try to get a dog if we are in the financial situation we are in now.. I like to have money put back for any medical expenses that may come up. I used to have pet insurance for my dogs but my XH took the boxer and the min pin in the divorce and I sent my weim to a rescue two states away.. hated that but she was adopted out and The family still sends me pics of her :D

He won't have anything to do with toys unless it's something challenging, So the treat toys are awesome for him.

BabyFruit Ticker

• He was outside full time bc the landlord didn't want any pets inside. He was an inside dog before and when we find a bigger house it will have to be pet friendly or we will continue looking.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Gotcha...I was just wondering, because I know a lot of well adjusted, happy dogs who have always been outside dogs since puppies, so didn't understand what the issue is.
  • He loves to be outside, he still likes to spend lots of time outside. I will not be having him outside when the bus comes again though.. he jumped right on the bus behind SD's. lol.

and I have to take back my words about not getting another dog... DH just brought me home a puppy!!! :D

BabyFruit Ticker

• And I wouldn't even try to get a dog if we are in the financial situation we are in now

But H just brought home a puppy?
  • Yes.. it wasn't discussed but he knows how I am with dogs. This puppy has fleas sooo bad. I bathed him when he first got here and they were falling off of him. I am dipping into my savings to take him to the vet today as we also found out he has worms.

Someone got the puppy for their GF and they broke up right after so I guess he didn't bother to take him to the vet at all, and asked DH if he wanted him. If we can't afford to care for the puppy I will be looking for a good home for him. I do want to keep him but I don't want to not be able to properly care for him.

He slept in a kennel in the garage last night bc IKD all about the different kinds of worms but I didn't want anyone to get sick. The vet I usually go to closes at 12 on Saturdays but they're willing to see him at noon (=

BabyFruit Ticker

• You have got to be effing kidding me, mary
  • I understand and respect your opinion. I didn't ask for the puppy, DH asked me if I wanted him to take the puppy back.. No Way. Not if he isn't going to be taken to the vet for a checkup let alone obvious things that he needs. I would take him to a shelter before doing that and I used to take dogs in just so they wouldn't have to go to the shelters. If I didn't have the money to take him to the vet, and didn't have anyone that I knew would give him a good home, I would take him to the shelter in a bigger city as they have more requirements for adoption and I'm sure he would be adopted out soon.

About the dog we already had, DH has had that dog since he was born, he has sold that dog 3 times and the people have given him back bc DH was the one to train him and he wouldn't listen to anyone else. I think DH thought about using him to breed in the past and that's the reason he hasn't already been neutered.

I did sneak the dog in the house risking the landlord finding out but the dog was sick. I know that doesn't justify in the big picture but I'm pretty sure the landlord would have understood. We are adding a 7th child to the home, if the pregnancy sticks, that is. I have a special fund set up for that and already have most of the baby items I need. I am usually one to plan ahead when it comes to money. I always have some backup. The puppy was unexpected and I had the money to take him to the vet. The landlord was here and I took the puppy to introduce him.

The landlord owns a lot of property and rentals in our area, he is a farmer and he is going to let us know when he has a bigger house come available. DH doesn't want to move from this house at all, He lived in this house a few different times growing up. He wants to stay here and talk to the landlord to see if he will allow DH to add onto the house.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Am I the only one that is just starting to think this is MUD? Maybe not complete MUD but complete exaggeration? I think the last poster really summed things up and I just cannot believe all of these stories. Either they are MUD or exaggeration a or just idiotic decisions. I cannot be bothered to type the long list of bad decisions that keep compounding things but like I said the onove post makes the most important point.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • It's not MUD. I have way better things to do than make things up. If there are any exaggerations it would be the weight of the boxer. He is huge, his parents were huge.. his mom is still big but she is unhealthy and out of shape now. She won't make it much longer and the owners are still trying to breed her. That would kill her.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I can't believe anybody's still buying any of this BS. Seriously, the tales just keep getting taller and taller.

"Man, be creative. Like the stuff you do. Do nice things. Love respectfully. Laugh a fucking lot. Curse when you feel like it. Life is cool." - Jean Grae

image image
    M (3/9/02) and E (2/28/12)

• I understand and respect your opinion. I didn't ask for the puppy, DH asked me if I wanted him to take the puppy back.. No Way. Not if he isn't going to be taken to the vet for a checkup let alone obvious things that he needs. I would take him to a shelter before doing that and I used to take dogs in just so they wouldn't have to go to the shelters. If I didn't have the money to take him to the vet, and didn't have anyone that I knew would give him a good home, I would take him to the shelter in a bigger city as they have more requirements for adoption and I'm sure he would be adopted out soon.

About the dog we already had, DH has had that dog since he was born, he has sold that dog 3 times and the people have given him back bc DH was the one to train him and he wouldn't listen to anyone else. I think DH thought about using him to breed in the past and that's the reason he hasn't already been neutered.

I did sneak the dog in the house risking the landlord finding out but the dog was sick. I know that doesn't justify in the big picture but I'm pretty sure the landlord would have understood. We are adding a 7th child to the home, if the pregnancy sticks, that is. I have a special fund set up for that and already have most of the baby items I need. I am usually one to plan ahead when it comes to money. I always have some backup. The puppy was unexpected and I had the money to take him to the vet. The landlord was here and I took the puppy to introduce him.

The landlord owns a lot of property and rentals in our area, he is a farmer and he is going to let us know when he has a bigger house come available. DH doesn't want to move from this house at all, He lived in this house a few different times growing up. He wants to stay here and talk to the landlord to see if he will allow DH to add onto the house.

Regarding the bolded:

(1) I hope you mean DH tried to give the dog to a good home, and not that he "sold" him.  

(2) Please don't let your DH breed him!  A lot of care and attention goes into true breeding (not backyard) and this is why those puppies cost so much money (ie. vet visits, high quality food, time, etc).

Again, I get that you have a big heart and are just trying to help, but it sounds like you are living "on the edge" a bit with your choices.... the puppy thing being just one of them.

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
     BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
    BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
    BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
    BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• JFC..... Seriously? As I said before, my eyes roll harder every time you post. At least you are here to add entertainment
  • DH did sell him the first two times, one to his brother and the second time to his cousin. When he got the dog back he gave them their money back. The third time he tried to give him away to a long time family friend.

I agree that I don't want him to breed him. I was talking about when he was younger he thought he might want to. I do want to talk to DH about having him neutered. I don't know about breeding or anything like that. I always had mine spayed/neutered when I would first get them if they weren't already.

I get what you mean about the living on the edge with the decisions. when it comes to the puppy, I will get rid of him if I have to but he will definitely not go back to where he came from.

As far as being here for entertainment and posting MUD, I just won't post here anymore. I wanted to update about the dog bc I had posted about issues with SS and his chore was to feed the outside dog. I got a lot of flame for there being an outside dog, so I wanted to update.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• ambrvanambrvan member
    edited August 2013
    Littlejen, youre not the only one. I just didn't want to call it first. What throws me is how there is always an answer for everything...
  • Ambrvan, if it is not MUD or exaggerated them they are now just trash. They are risking getting themself and I cannot keep track of how many kids evicted for having a 200 boxer. So what would happen if they get evicted? Live on the streets? Go to their other parents? And the biggest Boxer I can find online is 104lbs! She does not want any more dogs because they cannot accord it but is fine with her DH bringing one home? And she does not want the dog brews but does not know if her DH will? And let's not forget that she started only for the kids. I am not sure if she is a wife or a babysitter. Who knows, maybe it is all true but if it is then these poor SDs kids have a crappy BM and idiotic parents to live with who are not putting their security as a priority plus all the other crap. I am done reading her posts because at this point we are encouraging.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • hopanka said:

You have got to be effing kidding me, mary

What???? Kidding you about what? Every single thing I said us true and can I can provide sources if you would like. You asked a question. I answered. It's a subject I am VERY passionate about, along with rescue, not breeding dogs any dog that isn't a championed show dog (or working if applicable). It is absolutely my hill to die on. Pets don't have voices. Millions die every single year bc of people's shitty decisions. So no I am not fucking kidding

None of this was directed to the OP. It was in response to a question posed by you.
  • Not cool to call people trash :/ I think we all have our crosses to bear being on this board...

I'd hope we can just ignore the things that annoy us and keep it constructive
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ambrvan said:
    Littlejen, youre not the only one. I just didn't want to call it first. What throws me is how there is always an answer for everything...
    I with you both! I've wanted to call MUD nearly every time she posts...I'm sorry & I hope I'm wrong but the stories get crazier and crazier with every post.
  • Um, I was asking the OP, she replied...and I said gotcha. Then you started with your crazy explanations. Sorry, Mary, you sound like a loon in this post.
  • hopanka said:

Um, I was asking the OP, she replied...and I said gotcha. Then you started with your crazy explanations. Sorry, Mary, you sound like a loon in this post.

I don't think she sounds like a loon at all. I agree with her completely. And since when is disagreeing with someone grounds to call 'crazy' or sounding like a 'loon'?

• ambrvan said:

I with you both! I've wanted to call MUD nearly every time she posts...I'm sorry & I hope I'm wrong but the stories get crazier and crazier with every post.

This is what I was getting at. But I would not have said "trash." That's more than a little mean.
  • hopanka said:

Um, I was asking the OP, she replied...and I said gotcha. Then you started with your crazy explanations. Sorry, Mary, you sound like a loon in this post.

I don't think she sounds like a loon at all. I agree with her completely. And since when is disagreeing with someone grounds to call 'crazy' or sounding like a 'loon'?

She is 100% correct, dogs should not be outside full time. They need to be with their family/pack. I feel very sad for purely outdoor dogs.
  • ambrvan said:
    This is what I was getting at. But I would not have said "trash." That's more than a little mean.
    Yeah, I won't call her trash. Agree that's mean...I guess it's just hard to believe when the stories continue to get crazier all along. 
  • hopanka said:

Ahhhh yes because questions can only be answered by the OP. gotcha. You specifically said what is flame full about an outside dog. You didn't really get an answer. So I gave you one. If that makes me a loon, I'm cool with that. If being extremely passionate about a subject makes me a loon, I am ok with that too.
  • ambrvan said:

Yeah, I won't call her trash. Agree that's mean...I guess it's just hard to believe when the stories continue to get crazier all along. 

It may be mean, but I'm pretty sure a lot of us have had that word cross our minds while reading her posts.
  • As far as the dog being outside - I've had dogs growing up, which were all outside dogs, and I had a couple outdoor/indoor dogs as an adult,  and one indoor, small dog as an adult.  I'll never have an all indoor dog again - but for the record, he loved being outside.  I think dogs can be happy outside & inside and as long as you give the proper housing, water, food, and a "job" to do, they can be very happy animals.   I live in a generally safe place tho - if I lived in a bigger city(and I will be soon), I wouldn't be so quick to have a dog because I would give them access to the outside while I was away at work and like Mary, I agree on this point, you can't trust a lot of people. 

The bottom line here is if you can't provide proper, safe, adequate care for an animal - give it to someone who can.  Taking a dog in when you do not have landlord approval is incredibly irresponsible, and unfair to the dog when someone else can take care of it properly.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"