Blended Families
Options

Right of First Refusal

agibbyagibby member
edited August 2013 in Blended Families

DH and BM CO is written as : if either parent cannot be with the child for 3 or more hours they need to offer right to care for that child to the other parent. DH and BM have 50/50 EOW.

I hate this clause. It has caused so much drama. BM never follows it, we've busted her at work at 8:30 at night before, and she just lies about it. She said she had "just dropped into work for a minute". Uh, we have the schedule of the class she teaches, hence the reason we called her at work! There have been many, many other times we've heard about her being at work or out at a party, and having SS being watched by someone else for over the 3 hours, many times overnight. When DH confronted her, she has always claimed it was a lie, going as far as to say 5 y/o SS was lying.

Yet, one time when we went 5 hours away to visit DH's family and SS and other kids went to sleep at grandma and grandpa's while DH and I were out for a bit, she heard about it and made a huge deal over it. Um , we were FIVE HOURS AWAY.  By the time she got up there, she would have had to bring him back, in the middle of the night.

Did I say I hate the ROFR clause?

We have decided to ask BM to either change the ROFR or throw it out. It's ridiculous. They have 50/50 and she lies about it anyway, so what's the point of having it?

I think it should be written as overnights for work, and possibly 5 hours for daycare. I just think if either parent is gone overnight for work, the other parent should be able to have SS. And if SS is at the sitters for over 5 hrs, the other parent should be able to hang out with SS during that time.

DH thinks it should just be thrown out of there.

What do you all think?

Of course it all ultimately comes down to if BM agrees with any of it. Can't see why she wouldn't since she is the one breaking the CO all the time.

Re: Right of First Refusal

• Options
    I'm not a fan of ROFR clauses at all. I mean, are the kids never allowed to spend the night with anyone? Dumb IMO. The only restriction I can possibly see as good is if it's more than 2 nights and it's not because the child is at camp or something. Kids should be able to spend the weekend with a relative if they want.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    I also hate ROFR clauses in general.  When SO was first going through the process of getting a CO his lawyer and BM's drafted one together and it had something similar to yours with the after 4 hours you need to offer the time to the other parent and SO asked if his lawyer could try to talk to hers about having it at least changed.  Turns out it was SO's lawyer who put it in since it is "standard language" so getting rid of it wasn't an issue and luckily BM never brought up having one.  

I know there are some cases where ROFR makes sense but in a lot of them it just does not, at least to me.  If you are going to try to change it I would just try for getting rid of it completely and then if BM really resists that try compromising to it being a longer time frame or something like that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think DH is leaning more towards just overnights for work. That way, SS can stay at a relatives house for fun, or even when it gets to be time to stay the night at a friend's house, BM can't make an issue out of it.
    BM told DH that her lawyer said she should have it in there because "you wouldn't want your son to spend time with the "other woman" would you?" Nice. I wasn't in DH's life at that time, but wow, way to perpetuate jealousy and spitefulness huh?
    Guess her atty was known in the atty world as a real "ball breaker". And she cost three times as much as DH's lawyer.
  • Options
    Every time BM does this she is in clear violation of the CO, and you guys should file contempt. The BS needs to stop, BM can't have it both ways. I wouldn't change the clause just because BM lies about it, because that is showing her that she can lie and still get whatever she wants.
  • Options

I don't know how we can prove it though. We know she'll just lie in court, she has never had a problem with making things up to suit her. Her family is the same way and would lie for her too. I'd like nothing more than Travis to file contempt, but won't the judge want proof? I'm not sure how that all works.

We have the recording from when we called her at work at 8:30 at night (DH is off work at 4pm) but there she lied too and claims she doesn't punch in to work so there's no record of her hours.

• Options
    We live 3 hours away from each other, it's just not feasible to have a ROFR. When we lived near each other, exFI used it as a convenient way out. He would drop DS off half way through his visit saying he had plans. He just didn't understand/care that ROFR meant that he had to OFFER me the time first, it wasn't automatic.

We did exclude family from the clause. For example, if DS wanted to have a sleep over at grandma's on my time, then I don't have to offer the ROFR.

Now that we live apart, we removed the clause and just have a verbal agreement to communicate if we are going to be gone for a whole week-end. I went to Chicago last Spring for 5 days, I offered them to his dad first. If his dad is going to be away his entire week-end, then we will often switch so that he can see him another week-end.

I got a babysitter for tonight, I'm going to a work party for about 4 hours. His dad lives 3 hours away, it just doesn't make sense to drive the round trip when I can get a babysitter for that time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had to get a right to first refusal added to our court order the last time we went to court. BM had been admitted to the hospital many times and SS would stay with her mom and we were never notified. The last time she was actually waiting on a heart transplant. They share 50/50 custody and we were concerned if something happened that her mom would take DS and leave town. 
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• Options
    In your case, I would contact your attorney and start building your case.  Document every time you are aware that she is away from home and someone else is watching the boy.  I am sure you can subpoena her schedule from her employer/college etc, but you will want to wait until the last moment so as not to tip your hand.

But I would start with certified, return receipt letters to BM reminding her of the ROFR provision and that you wish to exercise that right as often as possible.  If you find out that she has ignored it, send another letter stating the details of the situation ("You were away from home on XXX date for 5 hours and left SS in the care of Joe Smith.  We were not contacted and given a right to refuse the chance to spend time with SS.   We wish to remind you of our Right of First Refusal, that we want to see SS as often as possible, and request that you contact us when you will be away.")
  • Options
    SimpleJaneSimpleJane member
    edited August 2013

In your case, I would contact your attorney and start building your case.  Document every time you are aware that she is away from home and someone else is watching the boy.  I am sure you can subpoena her schedule from her employer/college etc, but you will want to wait until the last moment so as not to tip your hand.

But I would start with certified, return receipt letters to BM reminding her of the ROFR provision and that you wish to exercise that right as often as possible.  If you find out that she has ignored it, send another letter stating the details of the situation ("You were away from home on XXX date for 5 hours and left SS in the care of Joe Smith.  We were not contacted and given a right to refuse the chance to spend time with SS.   We wish to remind you of our Right of First Refusal, that we want to see SS as often as possible, and request that you contact us when you will be away.")
    This is very good advice, if you want to keep ROFR. It sounds like YH just wants to throw it out though, and it sounds like that may be what's best to keep the drama at a minimum.

• Options
    Oh! That's something we would want to add in then, overnights in case of medical or work needs. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"