Trying to Get Pregnant

Your body *does* know when an egg has been fertilized

I hate to see bad information being passed around. It's called "early pregnancy factor" - a protein your body produces hours after fertilization occurs and it will show up on a blood test. 

Pretty cool stuff to read about.  If you feel like google-ing, there's a wikipedia page and a bunch of research articles on it.  It was discovered back in the 70s.  Makes me wonder why there hasn't been more research into this since and why its not more widely known.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Your body *does* know when an egg has been fertilized

• I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found.

Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• ksuRN09 said:
    I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found. Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
    Correct. Wikipedia is a public and open source resource so anyone can modify an article.  Most articles cite their sources, but there definitely some incorrect information on there. You're better off relying on medical articles and studies when it comes to your body.
  • Loading the player...
  • @dorothyzbornak97 - Very random... Loving the siggy pic!
  • @Joy2611 I didn't consider that aspect but you're right. It does seem like it would be unnecessary stress.

@dorothyzbornak97 When I was in college, all of our profs specifically told us Wikipedia would not be accepted as a source for our papers.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• A lot of things could go wrong during the 2ww. Sometimes its best not to know or realize these things. Ok your body realizes the egg was fertilized it doesnt mean that fertilized egg will implant. A fertilized egg does not mean pregnant. Its not worth stressing over...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • My son can't use Wikipedia for any of his research on papers either. He said he even knows people that for kicks loves to go in and change stuff.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

And no, it might not be helpful information, just interesting.  I thought it was very interesting as it was something I never heard of until recently and thought somebody else might be interested too.

Maybe its possible someday we could have a test to detect fertilization a day or two after ovulation.  But then with implantation not a sure thing, is that something we really want to know? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kim1730 said:

Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

And no, it might not be helpful information, just interesting.  I thought it was very interesting as it was something I never heard of until recently and thought somebody else might be interested too.

Maybe its possible someday we could have a test to detect fertilization a day or two after ovulation.  But then with implantation not a sure thing, is that something we really want to know? 

I find this very interesting. I am undecided.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Right, but YOU don't know the egg is fertilized and no doctor is going to waste time testing for this. Fertilization =/= Pregnant Gah. Please change the title of this before we get a million butthurt newbs in here telling us they felt fertilization.
    I can see it now... Threads that say, "I felt a cramp after O... Do you think it was because my egg was just fertilized?" 
  • Valie18Valie18 member
    edited August 2013
    kim1730 said:

Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

If m/c rates are 1 in 4. ONE IN FOUR. Do you really want to know the frequency of fertilized eggs that don't make it?
    And the quote tree will forever be effed.

I've been thinking about and I think I'd like to know that fertilization can happen for us. After that I wouldn't want to know again.

• Right, but YOU don't know the egg is fertilized and no doctor is going to waste time testing for this. Fertilization =/= Pregnant Gah. Please change the title of this before we get a million butthurt newbs in here telling us they felt fertilization.

This reminds me...years ago on here, probably when I was TTC#1, in 2009, there was a post about a girl who felt a "pop" when fertilization happened.  I can't remember if it was MUD, but I don't think it was.  The poster was adamant she felt a pop, and she said her mother had as well.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Valie18 said:
    kim1730 said:

If m/c rates are 1 in 4. ONE IN FOUR. Do you really want to know the frequency of fertilized eggs that don't make it?

The flip side is - If you go through 12 months of ttc and decide to seek help, is it useful information at that point to know whether the problem is with fertilization or with implantation.

Or maybe ... you're ttc and you know right away fertilization has not occured this cycle.  You have more piece of mind around things like taking advil for a headache, or having a beer for those 2 weeks where you might have otherwise avoided those things.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ksuRN09 said:
    I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found. Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
    Correct about Wikipedia, anyone can go on and change information on that site.  I was always told not to trust that sight or use when writing papers.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Valie18 said:

I've been thinking about and I think I'd like to know that fertilization can happen for us. After that I wouldn't want to know again.
    I can get behind it in that respect, in a fertility testing kind of way....but other than that I feel like it would just result in a new kind of loss that we all don't need. Does that make sense?
    That makes total sense to me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joy2611 said:
    For me personally, I'm not really interested in knowing if fertilization happens so I can then wonder if implantation will happen.  It seems entirely too stressful.
    To add to that, even if this kind of testing was used after a year of trying, I wouldn't want to know that it is an implantation issue. Then I'd be too stressed out thinking about how many fertilized eggs were lost.
  • kim1730 said:

Or maybe ... you're ttc and you know right away fertilization has not occured this cycle.  You have more piece of mind around things like taking advil for a headache, or having a beer for those 2 weeks where you might have otherwise avoided those things.

Uhhh......

That seems like a really stupid reason to burden the health care system.

ETA: I drank ALL the beers in my 2WWs
    I was referring to the possibility of having an OTC test in the future, like we have hpt's today. And drinking alcohol in the 2WW is a personal choice that some may feel better about if fertilization had not occured.  Plenty of things fall into that category - just goes back to if you would prefer knowing or not knowing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't see how having the information that fertilization occurred would be helpful. Just because it fertilized doesn't mean it will implant and I can see it only adding stress to TTC.

I can see maybe knowing for fertility testing but even then I'm not sure it's something I'd want to know.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    My Chart
    My Blog
    Me - no issues DH - diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer in March 2013
    Married 2009 TTC#2 since July 2013
    July 2013 IUI#1 - Femara+Menopur+Ovidrel = BFN
    August 2013 IUI#2 - Femara+Menopur+Ovidrel = BFN
    December 2013 IVF - Gonal-F, Novarel trigger
    ER: 12/19 9R 8M 6F with ICSI
    ET: 12/24 transferred 1 grade 5AA blast; 2 frozen
  • Oh my!! I am an US tech and this makes me want to pull my hair out.  About half the time you have unprotected sex around the right time of month, egg meets sperm!! Science has solved the problems associated with fertilization, (hence IVF) what science CANNOT do is control implantation. Implantation is the red headed step child of pregnancy, it is controlled by a zillion different factors and science is fairly limited in it's ability to help the product of conception implant. A fact well recognized by all forms of non-hormonal female birth control, these allow for conception they don't however allow for implantation. Can you imagine the miscarriage rate if people were able to tell if sperm and egg met... 
    Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • Oh my!! I am an US tech and this makes me want to pull my hair out.  About half the time you have unprotected sex around the right time of month, egg meets sperm!! Science has solved the problems associated with fertilization, (hence IVF) what science CANNOT do is control implantation. Implantation is the red headed step child of pregnancy, it is controlled by a zillion different factors and science is fairly limited in it's ability to help the product of conception implant. A fact well recognized by all forms of non-hormonal female birth control, these allow for conception they don't however allow for implantation. Can you imagine the miscarriage rate if people were able to tell if sperm and egg met... 

Is it really considered a "miscarriage" ... If there was just fertilization, no implantation, and no hcg, there's no pregnancy.  But regardless, the rate exists and it probably extremely high - we just don't know about it.

I think a lot of what you mentioned is the reason why there hasn't been any recent research into this area

BabyFruit Ticker

Implantation issues are not the cause of most miscarriages, it's aneuploidy (wrong number of chromosomes). Every woman has a certain percentage of aneuploid eggs, that if fertilized will likely not develope into a viable pregnancy. If there were readily available testing for fertilization, there would be an insane number of women running to their doctors because they have bad eggs. As someone who has real life experience that fertilization =/= pregnancy (we lost all of our fertilized embryos before transfer), I do not think the average woman needs to know the second fertilization occurs.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

Implantation issues are not the cause of most miscarriages, it's aneuploidy (wrong number of chromosomes). Every woman has a certain percentage of aneuploid eggs, that if fertilized will likely not develope into a viable pregnancy. If there were readily available testing for fertilization, there would be an insane number of women running to their doctors because they have bad eggs. As someone who has real life experience that fertilization =/= pregnancy (we lost all of our fertilized embryos before transfer), I do not think the average woman needs to know the second fertilization occurs.
    Just to be clear~  I do not personally believe that fertilization without implantation is a miscarriage. Regardless of the actual definition. I was simply extrapolating out the idea, and imagining the chaos that would ensue in the medical field if people were able to confirm fertilization prior to implantation. In re-reading my comment I could see how the last line could be confusing. 

I had a early 2nd tri loss due to chromosomal issues, so I am well aware of that unfortunate dice roll. 
    Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • Twinkie0612Twinkie0612 member
    edited August 2013

Oh my!! I am an US tech and this makes me want to pull my hair out.  About half the time you have unprotected sex around the right time of month, egg meets sperm!! Science has solved the problems associated with fertilization, (hence IVF) what science CANNOT do is control implantation. Implantation is the red headed step child of pregnancy, it is controlled by a zillion different factors and science is fairly limited in it's ability to help the product of conception implant. A fact well recognized by all forms of non-hormonal female birth control, these allow for conception they don't however allow for implantation. Can you imagine the miscarriage rate if people were able to tell if sperm and egg met... 

Just to be clear~  I do not personally believe that fertilization without implantation is a miscarriage. Regardless of the actual definition. I was simply extrapolating out the idea, and imagining the chaos that would ensue in the medical field if people were able to confirm fertilization prior to implantation. In re-reading my comment I could see how the last line could be confusing. 

I had a early 2nd tri loss due to chromosomal issues, so I am well aware of that unfortunate dice roll. 

I'm agreeing with you on the chaos. I just don't want women to read this thread and think they that miscarriage = implantation issues. Most of the time it is chromosomal and there was nothing that could be done. I'm very sorry for your loss.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Just for shits and giggles. Nothing like some light Sunday reading: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26843/

• I have a hard time with this. While I agree that maybe in some way it might help couples struggling with infertility (although I'm not convinced), I agree with most of the PP, that it's information that isn't particularly useful in one's TTC journey.

I was talking to my mum yesterday about these super sensitive HPTs and these doctors in Australia who regularly order a blood test for their TTC patients 7-8DPO - mum was saying 'chemical pregnancies' were pretty much unknown, people just thought their periods had come a bit later.

There is definitely a lot of over testing happening these days. Most of the time, all I see coming from it is increased heartache.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"