Natural Birth

A different spin on the birth plan question

What is the actual layout of your plan?  I want it to be easily read and skimmed by whoever I give it to.  I can't imagine if I give them a 3 page document single spaced in 10 font they will even read it.  :) Of course DH is getting that version, but what would you give to your doctor and nurses :)

Re: A different spin on the birth plan question

• I had one page, probably 14-20 point font, and bullet points. It was probably ten items total.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Mine is also 1 pg with bullet points. Keeping it very simple this (2nd) time around.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1 page, point form, in the order things were expect to occur (like, labour stuff, then delivery stuff, then baby care stuff, then recovery stuff).
  • Mine was also one page in order that things were expected to occur...but I also included a section for prenatal care (declining internals, growth scans, membranes sweep, etc).

While I showed my birth plan to my midwife (she kept a copy and put it in my file), it was mostly for DH, our Doula and I.  It was most important that the three of us were on the same page.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all! 

• Mine was one page and I limited it to the four major points that I felt were most important for this birth (pain medication preferences, wanting to maintain mobility, wanting to use the squatting bar, and to have LO baptized in case of emergency).  There's a lot more that I'm hoping will/ and will not happen, but I wanted it simple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One page with 2 sections.  I listed what I wanted during labor and what I wanted during delivery.  I used short sentences like 'We would like to avoid an episiotomy and refer to tear naturally."
    My Bradly instructor said to skip putting post birth stuff on there.  She said once baby is here you are usually coherent and able to communicate your wishes (i.e. no bottles/paci, BM only etc).
  • 1 pg. the top had all my information they might need then I had two columns of bullet points. Yes, please (what I wanted) and No, thank you (what I didn't want). Then at the bottom I had post partum wishes. Very simple and easy to read. They followed it perfectly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Mine is going to be like a half a page of bullet points, max. I also am working on a separate cheat sheet for DH as well as some flash cards held together with a metal binder ring of reminders for him: positions to help me try w/ some little pictures, short list of stages of labor, etc, that he can reference quickly if he feels stuck in helping me.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • DebatethiS- I want to do this for DH too!
  • There is a great one-pager, bulleted by labor stages, that I am tweaking. The site is pinned on my Pinterest account. When I get on my computer I'll post the link. I found it tremendously useful as a model.
  • https://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2012/08/a-sample-hospital-birth-plan.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheHumbledHomemaker+(The+Humbled+Homemaker)

if u wanna follow me on pinterest, my username is msjanet02. i have several birth plans pinned as well as a ton of stuff on CDing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"