Special Needs

Can you help? I'm at a loss. (SPD-related)

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited August 2013 in Special Needs
DS has never flapped his hands, made random sounds, he isn't "hyper," he is a very social kid who loves to introduce himself to strangers, he doesn't obsess/talk about one topic over another either.

For the past month I have noticed this repetitive path he takes in the house. About 20min after breakfast he started to run back and forth. I thought it was due to the tv being on (over-stimulated?), so I played around with channels and even turning it off. It didn't stop the behavior. Now I will call his name though, and he will stop and ask, "what mommy?" When I ask him, "why are you running?" He will say, "Because." or "I'm x character getting the bad guy." Now he would run like this during "free play" time at his gymnastics class however it wasn't as noticible as it is now...it seems to be an outlet of sorts for imaginary play. I used to rock-imaginary play, but it was in my room on a rocking horse. I remember I used to retreat to my own little world.

He also will also while in the car, rock. I thought he needed "input" so I gave him a weighted blanket to use...and he still rocked, not as much as usual, but he did once on the 15min car ride to the playground. He will respond the same to me and my questions when I call his name.

We just went to the playground, and we made sure to do a good 30min of swinging and spinning. The kid looks exhausted, and didn't rock on the way home. I'm watching to see if/when the rocking/running will occur again and as of yet (2hrs. later) nothing.

I'm thinking he just needs a lot of vestibular input, especially in the morning it seems. If this is the case, will look into getting a hammock, rocking chair and trampoline for him.

I have an OT eval Monday and a Psych eval in 3 weeks, so it may take another month before I know what exactly is going on. But he doesn't have ASD symptoms and doesn't seem to have ADHD signs either.

I know DS has a developmental delay/SPD, and is under-responsive to vestibular specifically and touch, while over-responsive to sound and propreoceptie. Could it be a form of anxiety, a need to wake-up his body and/or calm it down at certain times of the day?

I videotapped the behavior JIC, but I can't figure this part out. Its keeping me up at night too. Can you figure it out?

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Can you help? I'm at a loss. (SPD-related)

• Hi popping in from Dec 13. I work with kids with special needs around the age of your DS. It does sound like a vestibular input issue which I see with a lot of my kids in the morning. I would make sure to bring this up at the psych eval. What does he do if you try to stop the running completely, like say you got out coloring or a favorite activity? Can he handle the transition or does it cause anxiety? Also if he is seeking out sensory input as well I love using body socks or just mat you can roll them in or swinging if that's an option.
  • d.fd.f member
    edited August 2013
    My DS has only recently started flapping his hands and he doesn't do it frequently. I'm pretty sure it's related to anxiety around the Kindergarten transition.. He is incredibly social loves talking to strangers (although this has decreased a bit as he's become more self conscious in the last 6 ish months). At 3 and young four he did frequently run a circuit like you described in our house. I wasn't familiar enough to realize its repetitive nature at the time. My sons diagnosis, which was teased out by a psychologist over a 4 hour full developmental eval, is PDD-NOS. He had none of the big obvious stereotypical red flags for ASD but the diagnosis fits.

I'm not saying your son is on the spectrum but nothing I've read excludes it as I know it in my son. I really hope you get answers at your up coming appointments. I think the period of time between realizing something was going on and getting the diagnosis was the hardest for me to date.

DS 09/2008

• Loading the player...
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited August 2013
    Jenna: When I try to stop the running, he is willing to come sit next to me and do something else. He doesn't fight to keep doing the behavior.

Auntie: The psych is through my insurance, privately. I have DS seeing him in 2 weeks...and while I have 14 days to think, my gears are grinding today...

Of course the doc would have to confirm what I am thinking but I think he may have SPD/Inattentive ADHD.

Why? I was like him (without the SPD - which DH shows signs of). I love visual stimulation any TV/Phone and I could get hooked. My head was always in the clouds, and through my school years I never really paid attention to the teacher, although I looked like I did to others my grades never reflected that ...unless it was a subject I enjoyed. Any difficult subjects I would doodle, daydream about boys, etc. Always was disorganized forgetting homework assignments, books, my locker would always look like a bomb went off. But I never got a dx of this!

As an adult I see it, I have to work really really really hard to focus on completing tasks...and under stress it gets worse, you should see my house now. When I want to focus on a conversation I will, but mid-convo my mind goes blank...like I start thinking about nothing and the other person gets zoned out. Ask DH! This even happened with the meeting with the psych, just blank by the end, as though my mind got tired of focusing.

Should I tell the psych this, or just let him run tests? I am wondering if this is the case for DS... if so, and DS could get accomadations for this I would be so happy, he would get the help that I never did in school.

Do you know how many times I heard I was "lazy" or I "didn't try hard enough"? I told my parents this past year I think I always had this!!
    photo notebook.jpg 

• d.fd.f member
    At DS's appointment and the million questionnaires asked about family history. I'd bring up your experiences.

Both DH and I have become much more aware of our quirks (and those in our families) since DS was diagnosed it' been kind of enlightening.

DS 09/2008

• He is a clinical psych who specializes in early childhood & adult (ASD, ADHD, LDs, etc.) and general clinical psych. He said he will (if necessary) do a class eval as well.
    I had to phone interview with a few docs and found him. I also have a backup psych, and I'm also applying to the FDLRS eval.

I agree on teaching the skills necessary, more than being dependent on accomadations. In my childhood, I was considered lazy and unorganized with homework/tests (especially in Middle School and beyond - puberty?). As an adult I cannot afford to be so "lax", so I have learned on my own organizational skills which work for me (daily to-dos, notepads, calendars, breaks, etc.) I have learned how early I need to get ready to be on time, etc. In my specific situation, I don't think medication would've worked and would only band-aid the actual way I function. I needed to LEARN organization skills... even if its an ongoing trial-and-error.

Being this organized is exhausting and not my natural state of being, it requires more energy than I like, and sometimes I will fall behind. Its exhausting but necessary for the well-being of my family - I really need a reminding "goal" to stay focused.

I also notice that those who have similar symptoms, have a sixth sense almost, a sensitivity to others around them, emotions that can be "picked up" without someone telling them. Maybe it has to do with the SPD aspect, but its all speculation.

photo notebook.jpg 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"