Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby sleeps in Bouncy chair at nighttime

So my baby is 10 weeks old. Just had her 2 month appt. The Dr. asked about her sleeping at night time. I told her she sleeps in her vibrating chair. We have a bassinet for her but she never would sleep in there. In the bouncy chair she sleeps great at night and gets up once a night to feed and back to sleep. My Dr. said that I should transition her to the bassinet or crib asap. That she will get used to it and harder to train her to sleep in crib later on. She suggested that I put her down not when she is fully asleep but drowsy. I am not ready for her to sleep in her own room yet, So I am going to give the bassinet a try again this weekend. She was only 6.6 pounds when she was born so when I put her in the bassinet then she looked so small in it. But her bouncy chair is so much more comfy than the bassinet. I kind of don't blame her:) It's nice and cozy. But a part of me just wants to let her sleep in the chair until she outgrows it and then I will have no choice but to put her in crib.....Any ideas? What should I do?

Re: Baby sleeps in Bouncy chair at nighttime

• Options
    jayro10jayro10 member
    edited August 2013
    My LO is 11 weeks. At 9 weeks we started transitioning to her crib in her own room (directly across the hall, just a few steps farther than when she was in the PnP in our room.)
    She would wake up within 20 minutes if I initially put her down for the night in the crib. So I did it after a MOTN feed instead. She's always pretty sleepy after her feeds, so I put her in the crib and she was none the wiser. She slept there until she woke up for the day. We did that for a couple nights, then we were able to put her in the crib starting right when we put her down for the night and she was fine with it. She's slept all night (still 1-2 MOTN feeds) in her crib for 2 weeks now.
    I was hoping to room share for a couple more months, but I'm glad we transitioned early because the longer you wait, the harder it will be. Also, I'm getting more restful sleep because even though the monitor is right next to my bed, I'm not waking up at every little flinch or movement she makes.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You should listen to the advice of your doctor or don't complain later when your kid won't sleep in her own bed.
    "A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dd is the same she won't sleep anywhere but her chair . Maybe try the crib or bassinet with a crib wedge so LO is elevated as they are in the chair? Idk but that's my plan once we transition . GL though!
  • Options
    Our Sugar Bear transitioned to his crib just three weeks ago...he is now 11 weeks. We are still room sharing. We are in a one bedroom (found out he was on his way after we renewed our lease...lol). He would only sleep in his swing...I know what you mean about our LO's looking so tiny in the crib. We used the wedge and I also wrapped/swaddled him in either my shirt or my husbands shirt and that helped him transition. He was still nursing in the MOTN and after that session I would take the shirt off him and he did really well. Now he sleeps with out the wedge or our shirts and his now sleeping 6-9 hours at a time and then an extra 4! Its wonderful!! Good luck to you and remember you are the mommy not your pedi. Trust your instincts..... :)

• Options
    Your kid. Go with your gut mama. Drs know what medical school teaches them and what they see from observation. You live with your child.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As a mom of three, I agree with your doctor. My first two children were preemies weighing in at 4 and 5lbs, but even though they looked small in their crib they still slept great in it. ;)
    Hawaii
  • Options
    Thinking about selling my bassinet and buying one of those Rock N Play's. Wish I had known. I would of bought one of those instead.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I did a blog post a little while ago about transitioning from a Rock N Play to a Crib. I honestly spent endless time worrying about this, but at 5 1/2 months my baby transitioned easily on her own. I think they eventually outgrow wanting to be in a small cozy space, and start liking to be in a big wide open space (like a crib). At 2 months, your baby probably still likes the small cozy space. My baby is now 7 months and can roll around easily and find a comfortable position in her crib, and now actually seems to hate being in a swing or bouncer because she can't roll around until she finds a position that is comfortable.

If you really want to transition to the crib immediately, maybe try swaddling her plus a crib wedge to elevate her a bit. She may also like the incline of the bouncer, and sometimes it is an issue of acid reflux.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Options
    I have the same issue as well with my 3 month old twins. They were preemies with bad acid reflux and me and my hubby got tired or running to the room every couple hours due to vomiting and stuff. We decide to keep them in our room until they grow out of it. We try to put them crib during the day for naps but they never stay long (5mins) then they are ready to get out. They sleep fine everywhere else except the crib. I know we should listen to Doc but I put wanting to sleep over putting in crib for now. I am giving them a few more weeks then off to the cribs since they are sleeping longer
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"