January 2013 Moms
Options

Refusing bottles ?

So DD has always been breastfed but used to take bottles like a champ. When I went back to work at the end of last school year she took 3-4 bottles every day. However, since I've been on break she doesn't take them as much. And suddenly in the past couple weeks she is refusing them and screaming her head off when the bottle comes near her. She will eat solids no problem but will only take her milk during a nursing session with me.

I've tried fresh milk, thawed milk, milk in a sippy cup and nothing will work. I'm concerned because I start grad classes on Monday and will be substituting soon as well. She's definitely going to have to eat when I'm not there.

Everyone keeps telling me if she's hungry enough she'll eat but today when I was out running errands she went over 5 hours without milk or solids which just doesn't seem right. DH really wanted to keep pushing the bottle but I gave in and nursed her.

Any tips on how to get her back on bottles? Or what may be causing this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Refusing bottles ?

• Options
    DS is similar--he took bottles no problem when I went back to work at 8 weeks, but I had last month off, and now that I'm back to work again he's mostly refusing bottles. He'll eat a couple ounces while I'm gone (for anywhere from 8-11 hrs), but that's it.

He makes up for it when I'm around. At first I was really worried about it, but I kind of agree with what people are saying to you--if he's really hungry, he'll eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Have you tried adjusting your nipple size?  We had to move to size 2/3 nipples because the size 1s we were using had become too slow for him.  Once we switched, the bottle strike ended.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"