Natural Birth
Options

IVF and Homebirth

Has anyone had a home birth after IVF?   My first pregnancy (ended in a miscarriage) I was planning a home birth.  IVF supposedly has increased risk of preterm labor, pre eclampsia, placenta previa, ect...  I just can't find studies that say what the increase actually is.  I hate the major ob/gyn practice here and that's where the OB that is highly recommended  for natural birth works.  I have also worked in enough hospitals to think they are gross.   Any thoughts?

Re: IVF and Homebirth

• Options
    I would think that IVF moms are at greater risk of those things because of the population that typically has to use IVF (ie moms of advanced maternal age or with preexisting health conditions are more likely to get IVF). If you are healthy, I don't see why you couldn't have a home birth. How you conceive has no bearing on how you will labor! A responsible midwife will transfer you to an OB's care if she notices any serious problem has arisen, anyway. No reason why you couldn't plan a home birth with the understanding that if something comes up you'll have to transfer care, as with any pregnancy.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses.  If you google IVF and birth complications you'll get a huge list of articles claiming a variety of risks with a few scientific studies.  I know the media loves to sensationalize "risks" especially related to birth, so I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt.  I think what it has come down to for me is I've lost some trust in my body b/c I needed IVF in the first place.  Logically I know it's 2 different mechanisms, but it's hard to let that go.  Anyhow, thanks for the input.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think that IVF moms are at greater risk of those things because of the population that typically has to use IVF (ie moms of advanced maternal age or with preexisting health conditions are more likely to get IVF). If you are healthy, I don't see why you couldn't have a home birth. How you conceive has no bearing on how you will labor! A responsible midwife will transfer you to an OB's care if she notices any serious problem has arisen, anyway. No reason why you couldn't plan a home birth with the understanding that if something comes up you'll have to transfer care, as with any pregnancy.
    Agree with all of this, assuming your HB MW is a CNM who can order ultrasounds incl a level II (IVF moms have higher risk of cord insertion issues and fetal heart conditions, as well, and it's fairly standard to have a level II u/s done around 28 weeks to check on those issues). It might also be worth a conversation about her hospital privileges in the event that you risk out of HB (ie, could she still care for you providing delivery would be in a hospital instead of at home ?).  I would not feel comfortable with a home delivery w/o that ultrasound.

Beyond that, I had every intention of switching to a HBMW from my RE's office but LO had other plans. I wound up being one of "those" IVF patients who actually winds up higher risk due to SCH in the first tri that caused a bunch of bleeding and then severe bleeding at 18weeks due to a cervical polyp and THEN a shortened cervix. I've been with a hospital based CNM practice because they consult closely with the MFMs that I was referred to for the shortened cervix. Now I'm 30w and while my cervix has been stable for 10+ weeks, I'm still at a higher risk for preterm delivery and thus I'm delivering in a hospital that has a NICU for my own peace of mind.

GL with your decision.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"