Special Needs
Options

Is this a concerning speech issue?

Since I'm on the board today I may as well bring up another concern about DD...

We've been very insistent that DD use her words to get her needs met but she isn't making any progress with initiating speech. She will stare at us when she wants/needs something (food/drink/bathroom/etc.) but will not use her words until we say "What?" or tell her that she needs to use her words. We can be looking directly at her while she stares and she still won't say anything until we initiate the conversation. When she speaks, she uses learned phrases in a halting speech pattern.

Ex: Right now she is sitting on the floor fidgeting with some toys, her sister has a box behind her and is trying to climb into it. She put her arm up to block sister from climbing in while staring at her, I told her to use her words and she said "I. Want. Get. Down.", a phrase she has learned to use at the table when she is done eating, it made no sense for the situation.

I put in a call to our case manager at RC to see if we can get her evaluated again, they dismissed her from the Early Start program in June but I think she may need to be in the regular RC program now.

Should I be concerned about this speech issue? FWIW, she starts preschool next week and will be in a speech and language class for 180 minutes each week.

Re: Is this a concerning speech issue?

• Options
    No, it wasn't something I had thought of at the time, this was our first IEP so I didn't know what all could be written into it.
  • Options
    Our SW was supposed to be at the IEP meeting but didn't show, I was really surprised because she said she had to be there, she works with SN and medically fragile kids so IEP's are a normal part of her job. She was more concerned with RC dismissing DD's case (we got the official letter yesterday) but hasn't really helped us with that either, we are now requesting a hearing to try to get services back.

Our adoptions should finalize next month so I'm advocating all I can right now while they are still in state care, people seem a little more willing to give services to a foster child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"