March 2014 Moms
Options

Avoiding caffeine?

I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and am finally giving in to my cherry coke cravings. Avoiding diet sodas though. Are you guys still avoiding caffeine?
I'd make a poll but I'm mobile.
Pregnancy Tickerimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Avoiding caffeine?

• Options
    to be honest... I have been having a little coffee most mornings... it helps keep me regular :) My dr. told me this was completely fine, so I decided to go for it. I usually drink 1/2 cup to 1 cup. 
  • Options
    I try to avoid it all together ! My doctor told me caffeine was fine as long as you don't exceed 200 mg a day ! So I broke down for the first time in 9 weeks and had a sprite :D

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think I completely got rid of caffeine around 7 weeks or so. I had to wean off my morning iced coffee since I was really addicted to it! But now I'm fine.

That being said, If I have a splitting headache I'll drink an iced tea. Sometimes it helps.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I have been constipated, I have an iced tea.
    Officially started TTC January 2012
    Dx with PCOS November 2012
    2/2013 - First round of Femara - No O
    Took 2 months to get vaccinated from the chickenpox
    5/2013 - Second round Femara - No O
    6/2013 - Third round of Femara + HCG Trigger Shot = O!
    7/18/2013 - Found out I was pregnant
    Dx with Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks
    Dx with Macrosomia at 33 weeks
    Taking Glyburide and Metformin to control GD
    Due date is March 29th but we are moving forward with a scheduled C-Section on March 25th

• Options
    I gave up my morning cup if tea, for the most part. I couldn't drink coke or Pepsi if I tried since I have a major aversion to soda at the moment. Which probably isn't a bad thing.
    I don't think a Pepsi here and there is gonna hurt, there is only around 36 mg of caffiene in one can anyway! Just don't drink 6 a day :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had given it up cold turkey until I went to my first appointment Thursday where my doctor said one or even two cups a day is not going to hurt the baby.. So yesterday morning I enjoyed my first cup of coffee in about eight weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm still drinking 1 coffee a day but it's usually half and half. Also, sprite doesn't have caffeine in it but we should watch the sugars. Here's a site that might help.
    https://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm
  • Options

I try to avoid it all together ! My doctor told me caffeine was fine as long as you don't exceed 200 mg a day ! So I broke down for the first time in 9 weeks and had a sprite :D

Sprite is caffeine free :) so are a lot of root beers and most ginger ales.

I've gone caffeine free since by BFP. I brew decaf tea to make iced tea. Staying away from fake sugar too, no diet sodas. I know I can have some but just like the idea of being caffeine free :)
  • Options
    I am not avoiding it, but I am not using it as a stimulant. If I feel like tea or something, I'll have it. My biggest source of caffeine pre-pregnancy was diet coke, and I'm avoiding artificial sweeteners, so there went the majority of my caffeine intake anyway.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Options
    Sprite= caffeine free.

No, I don't avoid caffeine.  The practice I go to agrees that 200mg or less per day is safe so I continue to enjoy a cup every morning.  There is no way in hell I could deal with 25 8-year-olds with out it.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still have one coffee in the AM but I used to drink 2-3 cups every morning. My doctor said it was perfectly fine. One cup is no big deal and she told me it's not worth me having a splitting headache over it.
  • Options
    I have a cup of coffee once every other day or so. A little bit here and there is fine :)
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My Dr told me I could have up to 2 caffeinated beverages a day and it was perfectly fine. So I'll usually have one cup of coffee in the morning and a can or half a can of soda at dinner or something. It keeps my cravings at bay and I pretty much drink water for the rest of the day so I feel fine with it.

• Options
    Haven't had caffeine since early June when we started TTC and I used to drink 2, 8oz red bulls a day. Surprisingly I haven't had any headaches or anything. When I sick of water ill have sprite, ginger ale or root beer since they are caffeine free. My doc said no more than 20mg a day but I just can't bring myself to do it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kat4905kat4905 member
    edited August 2013
    I used to drink 2 cups of coffee per day. When I got my BFP, I started to taper and gave it up all together when I was almost 6 weeks. For some reason, I didn't have withdrawal symptoms. Every time I tried giving up caffeine in the past, it was a nightmare. Either way, I've been caffeine free for 3 weeks today and I feel great now!

BabyFruit TickerAnniversary

• Options

This.

Sprite is caffeine free :) so are a lot of root beers and most ginger ales.

I've gone caffeine free since by BFP. I brew decaf tea to make iced tea. Staying away from fake sugar too, no diet sodas. I know I can have some but just like the idea of being caffeine free :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OB said a cup of coffee a day is okay, but I gave it up after BFP. However, on a couple occasions with a splitting headache I drank a cup of coffee as the caffeine really makes a difference. I figure that's my medication. My take on it is that caffeine is a stimulant drug, and if I would take other drugs why would I give it to my baby? As far as soda, havent had that either even caffeine free. It is pure sugar and empty calories and bad for you not pregnant. It's only 9 months, I figure the sacrifices are worth it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Sprite is already caffeine free. But like people said gotta watch the sugars.
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I don't usually do a lot of caffeine anyway (not a soda/coffee person) but I do try to be more mindful of it during pregnancy.

I still eat some chocolate (when I can stomach it) and until recently I was drinking a black tea with ginger a few times a week. Just found an herbal ginger tea which will hopefully help the nausea too. :)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Ill drink one dr pepper a day ( sometimes its a big one though) and I feel comfortable doing that. I haven't even tried coffee but I do miss my Starbucks in the morning
  • Options
    No.  I keep it under the recommended amount and don't worry about it.  There's plenty of things to worry about in parenthood, caffeine isn't one of them I choose to stress about.   
  • Options
    I used to drink a cup or two of coffee each morning, but I have strong aversion to the taste/smell for the last several weeks. I do have pop a few times a week, but usually just one glass at work if I'm extra tired or a can at home bc I want something sweet. Every once in a while ill get a Starbucks with caffeine in it, but that's maybe once or twice a month. I've been sooooo thirsty that I mostly just drink water tho.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Options
    I usually have either one cup of coffee or a can of coke every other day. Initially I had cut out caffeine altogether but that didn't last long!!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    Glad to be in the company of such rational ladies. There really is no scientific evidence to support the need to completely cut out caffeine. Before pregnancy I was drinking a triple espresso plus a soda every day. When I found out I was pregnant, cut back to regular latte or soda daily. Now the thought of coffee makes my stomach turn! Regular Coke is about all I can handle these days. Moderation is the key.
  • Options
    I stopped completly consuming caffeine when I learned I was pregnant. Since then, I had one coffee one morning and one tea another day. I agree moderation is the best way to approach this, but I just try to change my morning routine by having an OJ or a pure mint tea.
  • Options
    I used to have caffeinated beverages earlier in my pregnancy, but then the sodas and lattes I was drinking started making me feel bad. I have no idea if it was the actual caffeine that made me sick, or if it was too much sugar or additives. Either way, I'm now completely caffeine free. I'll drink a cup of decaf in the mornings. During the day I'll have a variety of caffeine free drinks.

I used to LOVE iced tea, but now it leave such a bad taste in my mouth (even the decaf tea) that I don't drink it anymore. This makes me sad.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker .
     . . Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
  • Options
    I did give up coffee. Mostly because it's at the top of my, smells that make me instantly gag, list! I was trying to give it up anyway, so that worked out great! When I'm feeling a bit queasy, coke is heavely!!!! I am so burnt out on gingerale. Flavored unsweetened tea is my new love. Trying to drink plenty of water to balance it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"