Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Taking baby on a cruise. Any tips?

We might be crazy, but DH and I have decided to take DD on an Alaskan cruise. It will just be the three of us and she will be about 7 months when we go. Has anyone cruised with their LO before? If so, any advice on planning, packing, traveling and what/what not to do on the ship and in the ports would be greatly appreciated! Also, even if you haven't cruised, any advice on flying with baby would be appreciated as well. This is actually the part I am most nervous about. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Taking baby on a cruise. Any tips?

• Options
    What cruise line are you going on? I had no idea that you could take a baby on a cruise. I thought they had to be at least 2 years old, but maybe that's just the lines I've been on.
  • Options
    It's Royal Caribbean. They just have to be 6 months or older.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Buy a plane ticket for your DD and have her sit in her carseat for the flight.  I know the airlines will let her fly for free as a lap baby.  However, the FAA recommends carseats in flight.  It is much safer your baby and everyone else on the planes.  There have been flights were the only fatalities have been lap children because their parents were unable to hold onto them during an emergency.  Also, because your child will have a ticket she also gets a baggage and carry on allowance (the carseat does not count as a carry on item).
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    Buy a plane ticket for your DD and have her sit in her carseat for the flight.  I know the airlines will let her fly for free as a lap baby.  However, the FAA recommends carseats in flight.  It is much safer your baby and everyone else on the planes.  There have been flights were the only fatalities have been lap children because their parents were unable to hold onto them during an emergency.  Also, because your child will have a ticket she also gets a baggage and carry on allowance (the carseat does not count as a carry on item).

That's great advice! Thank you very much!
  • Options
    We were planning to take DD on a cruise when she is 10months old but then I chickened out bc I wasn't sure if there are life vests small enough god forbid we'd need it. Does the ship provide or did you buy your own?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi I'm a lurker but we took our middle DS on a cruise when he was 9 months old (didn't plan to, lost my frozen milk stash the week before due to meds I had to take). It was on Carnival. They had a packnplay for us to set up in the room, and also a life jacket.

We did not pay for a flight. When you travel with babies, you get an extra carry on because a diaper bag is a necessity with a baby. Pack it full. Take a paci or breastfeed during take off and descent. Absolutely take a stroller!!! also any meds you might need for baby.

Past that....just be prepared for one or both of you to stay with her during nap time (unless she naps well in her stroller) and to be in the room early, if you're planning to stick to her schedule. One thing to think about: is she flexible with her schedule napwise or eating? 

OH! And make sure you have a copy of her birth certificate.
    Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we took my boy twins on a cruise when they were 10 months old. I would never, ever do that again. That being said, if the weather is good for pool days (I don't even know if Alaskan cruises have outdoor pools?!), they won't be able to go in it, so bring a blow up pool for baby. Our room was SO tight, but then again, we have twins, so 2 cribs in that tiny room wasn't ideal. We are taking another vaca in October, and our girl twins will be 10 months and the boys are now 4.5. I definitely have some good memories of that trip, but in general, we will be saving cruises until the girls are older. 
  • Options
    ILoveBoys said:
    Hi I'm a lurker but we took our middle DS on a cruise when he was 9 months old (didn't plan to, lost my frozen milk stash the week before due to meds I had to take). It was on Carnival. They had a packnplay for us to set up in the room, and also a life jacket.

We did not pay for a flight. When you travel with babies, you get an extra carry on because a diaper bag is a necessity with a baby. Pack it full. Take a paci or breastfeed during take off and descent. Absolutely take a stroller!!! also any meds you might need for baby.

Past that....just be prepared for one or both of you to stay with her during nap time (unless she naps well in her stroller) and to be in the room early, if you're planning to stick to her schedule. One thing to think about: is she flexible with her schedule napwise or eating? 

OH! And make sure you have a copy of her birth certificate.

Thank you so much for the response! Yes, she is pretty flexible, but she's usually ready for bed for the night by 9 at the latest. So we are prepared for that, as well as naps in the room. That's the nice thing about being on the cruise ship - there's always something for one of us to do nearby while the other has nap duty!
  • Options

We booked a cruise too!  We are going to the Caribbean in Nov and LO will be 9 months.  My parents are also coming with us, so we will have adjoining rooms. 

We did not book an extra seat for LO b/c the flight is only 3 hrs and I didn't want to pay for it! lol  I'm a little nervous about the whole thing but I think it will be fun overall!

Happy cruising!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I understand that some people don't want to pay for their baby to fly.  However, lap babies are not safe.  They are a risk to their own lives as well as the lives of the person they impact with when they go flying during turbulence or a runway incident. In an emergency you will either be told to hold your baby to your shoulder with one arm or put your baby on the floor in front of you and hold him/her down with your feet or hands.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"