Pregnant after 35

Verifi/MaterniT21 AND NT Scan

I was reading through the other posts on this topic and was surprised to see some of you had both the early maternal blood testing and the NT Scan/Blood work. My hospital would only allow me to do one or the other since they are essentially testing for the same things.  Was there an issue found on one test which prompted the second testing?  
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Verifi/MaterniT21 AND NT Scan

• My geneticist said that they always do the ultrasound with the MaterniT21.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited August 2013
    My OB does the NT as standard. I was referred to a peri for a follow up for a SCB concern and he ordered the Harmony as his standard for AMA.

If it were me (and I'm not a doctor) and I could only choose one, I would go for the Mat21 or whatever similar test your OB's office orders. These tests are way more accurate and give far fewer false positives than the NT scan with sequential screening, because the Mat21/Verifi/Harmony is looking at the actual fetal DNA. The others do not. (That was how my perinatalogist explained the basic differences to me, at least.)         However, the neat side benefit of the NT is that you get to see your LO for a little bit. Also- The NT scan is not useless. It just has more false positives.

Edited: In my case, my insurance covered the NT because it is considered standard, then they also covered the Harmony because it was coded for AMA. Also, my peri's office had access to the variety of brand name DNA tests, but the office staff knew that my insurance would cover the Harmony because the lab that is used is in my network. They would not have paid for Verifi, Mat21 or any others.

HTH

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • Since I am over 35, I get an NT scan and a blood test, Harmony 21
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My ob does both standard for AMA.  I haven't had it yet, about one month to go... my blood test is not called the name brand/lab name mentioned here it has another name but generically called a quad blood test.

• My OB just told me to do both, I go in about 4 weeks. She said if there was an issue with either then to consider the CVS test.
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"