December 2010 Moms
Options

Big kid bike?

So Ava has mastered the tricycle over the past few months and really wants a "big girl bike". I'm looking at 12" bicycles. Do any of your little guys have bikes yet? Will she outgrow the 12" too quickly? She has a balance bike at my parents place in Florida and doesn't seem that into it, ftr.
Also, here she is testing a Strawberry Shortcake bike this morning ;)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Big kid bike?

• Options
    letranger said:

How much room does she have when her feet are planted down, Over the seat?

Room as in how far are her feet from the ground?

• Options
    He does not have a "big kid bike" yet, but showed interest in them when we did an early Christmas idea run at Toys R Us last week.  He hasn't had a tricycle, but has one of those Fisher Price go as you grow bike/big wheel deals.  He still isn't totally down with the idea of pedaling though, so he isn't quite ready for it yet most likely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J has a big kid bike.  I think it's 12" - we got it at a garage sale for $15.  Judging by my nephew's size I think he will be able to use it all through next summer (then DD will probably be able to use it).  He does well but is still having trouble with the whole backpedal to brake idea.  

Even though it's 90degrees today there is a 50/50 chance there will be snow on the ground here in 1 month.  I would not spend a lot of money right now for a bike that is probably going to sit a good part of the next 9 months (so this all depends on what you consider "a lot" and how much use you will get)  I would consider it being a good Christmas gift or even waiting until next spring.  

image   image

• Options
    EMO-mamma said:

I would not spend a lot of money right now for a bike that is probably going to sit a good part of the next 9 months (so this all depends on what you consider "a lot" and how much use you will get)  I would consider it being a good Christmas gift or even waiting until next spring.  

I'm thinking of using it as an incentive in conjunction with potty training. We can probably use it outside until November (as long as it is 40 degrees or higher we play outside) and we actually have a pretty decent sized first floor with hardwood that she could ride on when it gets too cold outside. $15 is a great deal, btw!

• Options
    Ah, and I just remembered you SAH - you'll get way more use out of it than I was originally thinking.

image   image

• Options
    Yep, C has one!  It's a 12".  Actually, it might get him probably two years.  The seat is as low as it goes right now and the training wheels adjust up so we can help him gradually get used to balancing.  I'm all about buying stuff that has great resale value so we actually got him one at a bike store.  It wasn't substantially more expensive, they put it together, free maintenance, 50% buyback when he needs to size up, and I can sell it for close to what I paid for it when he's done if I don't do that.  Oh yes, and they ordered him orange which is VERY important for C.  ;-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"