Trying to Get Pregnant

Best/Worst TTC Advice You've Received

Let's hear it...what's the awesomely best and absolute worst advice you've gotten while on this board?

Re: Best/Worst TTC Advice You've Received

• duncs107duncs107 member
    edited August 2013
    Best: "Your cycle is regular until it's not." 
    Worst: can't think of anything ATM. 

Edited: Thought this was exclusive to TB advice, since it's not my worst advice I've heard...from my mother:

Worst: I'll kill myself if you're pregnant. You have serious weight to lose before you do that. You'll just get even more fat and you won't lose it. 

Woman is a peach. 
  • Best advice: Temp at the same time every day with at least 3 hours of sleep.
    Worst advice: (not from the board from my former gyn) Just have sex on CD12, 14, 16. Riiigh... Except I O'd this cycle on CD22. Nice try doc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Best: temp if you want to know what's actually going on.

Worst: You should just adopt.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Best: Chart your cycles

Worst: At least you got the m/c out of the way, you probably won't have another
    I'm sorry someone said that to you.  That's awful!
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • @byegurlbye WTF??? who said that?!
  • Best: Chart your cycles

Worst: At least you got the m/c out of the way, you probably won't have another
    That's pretty shitty of anyone to say. That's right up there with wish IF on someone. 
  • Best: investing in a BBT and charting

Worst: Just have sex from CD10-14 and come back in six months if you're not pregnant.  Don't bother charting. (That gem was from my dr.  If I had listened to her, I'd have missed O day as I ovulate later in my cycle.  Needless to say, I'm finding a new dr.)

Just get drunk and climb on top. (no, I'm not joking...someone did actually tell me this is the best way to conceive).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @byegirlbye sorry about your loss and the shitty person who told you that. That is so miserable!

Best: sign up for fertility friend and chart
    Worst: (since my family has "accidental pregnancies") just have sex and youll be ku in no time...and from my mom...dont get up and cleanup just go to sleep after no need to worry about uti or yeast infections

Riiighhht...sounds great mom except I have a lowered immune system and if I dont cleanup I WILL get a uti or a yeast infection...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • @byegurlbye - Ew. People suck

Best: FF & the tutorials

Worst: Put TP in your underwear after sex and go to sleep  ...

• Best: charting

Worst:

This is an e-mail I got right after I came out about IF. I have saved it for over 2 years and read it when I need to LOL

"Hey there! Just thinking about your status....my guess is you are trying to get prego, but may have some infertility issues? I'm sorry to hear, and I know it's probably pretty emotional for you too.

I am not saying this is your issue, but have you ever heard of a "backwards cycle"?? I don't even know if there's a medical name for it by now, but most people haven't so I'm just asking because I had that problem. I would ovulate on schedule, but my body didn't drop the eggs until the day after my period ended. That's when I always got pregnant....when I thought it was the wrong time, because that's how it is "supposed to be"....but it was the right time for my body. I never got pregnant during ovulation.

I always got pregnant two days after my period. Every time. Of course, since I have five daughters, I started realizing this after the second pregnancy and most especially after the third. My doctors told me I was crazy....but I proved it to him the next time and he said I was a "good medical case" for him to help other women who may have what they thought were infertility issues.

I've actually told a few people about this random bodily function and they tried it and got pregnant. I'm certainly not a doctor and not trying to get your hopes up falsely at all....but it's just a thought that you might want to try if you've never heard of it.

Whoa... That whole email... Ugh... No, just no. I'm so sorry.

Worst:

This is an e-mail I got right after I came out about IF. I have saved it for over 2 years and read it when I need to LOL

"Hey there! Just thinking about your status....my guess is you are trying to get prego, but may have some infertility issues? I'm sorry to hear, and I know it's probably pretty emotional for you too.

I am not saying this is your issue, but have you ever heard of a "backwards cycle"?? I don't even know if there's a medical name for it by now, but most people haven't so I'm just asking because I had that problem. I would ovulate on schedule, but my body didn't drop the eggs until the day after my period ended. That's when I always got pregnant....when I thought it was the wrong time, because that's how it is "supposed to be"....but it was the right time for my body. I never got pregnant during ovulation.

I always got pregnant two days after my period. Every time. Of course, since I have five daughters, I started realizing this after the second pregnancy and most especially after the third. My doctors told me I was crazy....but I proved it to him the next time and he said I was a "good medical case" for him to help other women who may have what they thought were infertility issues.

I've actually told a few people about this random bodily function and they tried it and got pregnant. I'm certainly not a doctor and not trying to get your hopes up falsely at all....but it's just a thought that you might want to try if you've never heard of it.

....wutt?
  • @byegurlbye

you always make me want things while i'm at work.
    willam videos....egg drop soup. you also make me type chancie every time i try and tag you. DAMN IT WOMAN!
  • lovelym13 said:

I scanned this and thought it was something about pregnancy and ATM machines. I spent way too long trying to decipher the code.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TeeJ526 said:
    Best advice: Temp at the same time every day with at least 3 hours of sleep.
    Worst advice: (not from the board from my former gyn) Just have sex on CD12, 14, 16. Riiigh... Except I O'd this cycle on CD22. Nice try doc.
    Same ..

Best: Everything I read on TCOYF
    Worst: Just have sex 14 days after your period ends. Someone actually told me this last night.

image image image

• jessa8907 said:

Best: charting

Worst:

GODDAMMIT. I've been doing this whole thing wrong. Is there a way to chart your egg drop?

Now I want soup.
    I feel like we should all start referring to Ovulation as "The Egg Drop".
    I'm still hooked on "Leggo my Eggo".
  • Best: It will happen when it happens and it will be the right time. (From a super awesome prof in my dept when I talked to her about having kids during a PhD.)

Worst: I haven't directly received any bad advice yet. Likely because I haven't been telling people I'm TTGP.

Worst I've propagated: Grabbing the babies will get you KU. I always watch who "grabs" other people's babies at lab get-togethers. They are without fail the next to be KU. I can't do this though... I've pointed it out to a couple of guys in my lab and then they'd KNOW.

Worst:

What.the.everloving.what????
  • Best: Chart
    Worst (on the boards): just ask your OB for clomid (love it when newbies give advice) 
    Worst (IRL): tie between "just get drunk and screw" and "perhaps this means you're not meant to be a mother" 
    People suck, I'm so sorry someone said that to you.
    Worst (on the boards): just ask your OB for clomid (love it when newbies give advice) 
    Worst (IRL): tie between "just get drunk and screw" and "perhaps this means you're not meant to be a mother" 
    I'm so sorry someone said that to you. That is an incredibly hurtful statement.

Worst:

No Words!!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

image image  

• EmeJay said:
    @byegurlbye - Ew. People suck

Best: FF & the tutorials

Worst: Put TP in your underwear after sex and go to sleep  ...

What in the fuckity fuck? TP in the undies? To do what, exactly?
    To keep the swimmers in of course!

** This was an advice by my sister, a very bright speech pathologist
    this makes me want to vomit. i'm so sorry.  who would say such a thing?  i would respond "perhaps i'm meant to stab you"

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• EmilyA724 said:
    lovelym13 said:

I scanned this and thought it was something about pregnancy and ATM machines. I spent way too long trying to decipher the code.
    Thank you, I needed a laugh! :)
    ~*~*~SarahNicole218~*~*~
  • dressagetigerdressagetiger member
    edited August 2013
    @byegurlbye so sorry for your loss and that is awful!
    @lovelym13 she sounds lovely

I love both "the egg drop" and "leggo my eggo" as terms for O.

Worst: stop trying and it will happen - I find this one particularly amusing bc w/ PCOS if I'm not trying I'm not ovulating, thanks for the advice!
    TTC #1 since August 2012
    Me: 27 - PCOS  DH: 27 - SA normal
    Started Clomid June 2013 (50 mg days 5-9)
    Clomid increased to 100 mg days 5-9 Nov. 2013

Obsessed with my chart.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The best advice we received was spelled out on our fridge by one of DH's wise friends a couple of years ago when he found out we were TTC #1.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Best: Temping and OPKs

Worst: I posted this somewhere else today, but it's fresh in my mind because my mom said it last night:

"You need to hold babies in your arms, that will make you start ovulating again"

TTC #1 October 2012
    Me (30): PCOS DH (31): SA looks good

12/13: Clomid + IUI = BFN

1/14: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN

2/14: Benched = BCP

3/14: Femara = BFN

4/14: Break for job change = BFP!! EDD 1/5/15

• Best: Temping and OPKs

Worst: I posted this somewhere else today, but it's fresh in my mind because my mom said it last night:

"You need to hold babies in your arms, that will make you start ovulating again"

She's totally wrong. It's the 3-ish PM Hot Men threads that make you ovulate. That's why we post them.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• @byegurlbye - I am so sorry someone said that to you! Whether they are a guy who isn't good with pregnancy stuff or not, that had to hurt. 

@kikimonster - I wasn't sure what else to do when I finished reading that email other than LOL. She cannot be serious? Ugh!

My best advice = Sign up for Fertility Friend and lurk before posting. 

Worst advice = the same as @TeeJ526. During a conversation with a friend of mine where we were talking about how I was charting/temping she said, "You don't need to do that kind of stuff! Just have sex every other day for as long as it takes to get pregnant." My vagina just hurt thinking about that. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Best advice: newbie blog
    Worst advice:  This doesn't count as advice, but I think my DH gets upset because I get up to pee after sex instead of doing whatever it was that Julianne Moore did in The Big Lebowski after banging the dude.

Here it is:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnee5r_try-to-concept-from-the-big-lebowski-1998_shortfilms

*TTC #1 since June 2013*

Thats the Spot!
    THAT'S THE SPOT!

• Best: all the advice here, like sign up for fertility friend.

Worst: My mom told me that I should douche and make my vagina more acidic or basic so we can have a girl next time.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • @byegurlbye so sorry for your loss and that is awful!
    @lovelym13 she sounds lovely

I love both "the egg drop" and "leggo my eggo" as terms for O.

Worst: stop trying and it will happen - I find this one particularly amusing bc w/ PCOS if I'm not trying I'm not ovulating, thanks for the advice!

This! I had a friend (and I use that term loosely) tell me that being diagnosed with PCOS and not getting regular periods was my body's way of telling me I wasn't ready to be a mother... And when I was truly ready, my periods would just start being regular on their own.

DH (29) & Me (26) - Married 9/22/2012
    TTC since 9/2012
    Dx - Annovulatory; PCOS-IR

8/2013 - First consult with RE
    9/2013 - HSG, SHG both clear; SA normal
    Oct 2013 - Jan 2014 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI #1-3 = BFN's
    Feb 2014 - Femara + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFP!!!!!
    Beta #1 - 3/2/14 (15dpo) - 123
    Beta #2 - 3/4/14 (17dpo) - 378
    1st ultrasound - 3/21/14 - 1 little ninja, heartbeat - 120bpm
    Due November 7, 2014

**ALL** Welcome

• Best: Charting BBT on FF
    Worst: "Guess you'll have to try harder next month!" ::eye roll::
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • ksuRN09ksuRN09 member
    edited August 2013
    @byegurlbye wow...that's awful. Sorry you had to hear that :(

@thekikimonster that email made me giggle. I wouldn't have even known what to say!

@NariaDreaming I agree with Darcy, I hope you punched them for that little gem

Best: Everything I've learned here. I knew nothing

Worst: Just stop stressing and it will happen. I'm really tired of hearing that. Relaxing is not going to help this particular physiologic problem but thanks.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• lovelym13 said:
    .from my mother:

Worst: I'll kill myself if you're pregnant. You have serious weight to lose before you do that. You'll just get even more fat and you won't lose it. 

That's terrible. I'm sorry she's not being supportive.

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• Best: It will be worth the wait.
    Worst: Stop thinking about it! Don't try so hard.

Bishes all say that.
    TEACHER*ANIMAL LOVER*BOOK ENTHUSIAST*TRAVEL DREAMER
    married since July 2009, TTC since May 2013, BFP April 5, 2014! 
    IT'S A BOY!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
    image   gifs leonardo dicaprio romeo + juliet
    Summer Dog/Winter Dog    D14 AUG. SIGGY CHALLENGE: TEEN CRUSH- LEO

• Best: Pretty much everything I'm reading from the regulars here.

Worst: Propping your legs up. I JUST found out this was stupid and gives you UTI's. I did this the whole time we were trying for #1. When I think of the lost minutes/hours total I spent with my stupid legs in the air... ugh. *hand-forehead*

And the first time around people kept telling me it wasn't happening because I was too stressed about it. Which made my stress worse, and we even skipped cycles because I thought I was too stressed out for it to be worth it... Just to find out stress has nothing to do with it.

Glad I found this board this time around.

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"