Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Sippy Cup vs. Straw Cup

Hi Ladies,

My little guy is drinking water these days when he eats solid food.  We tried every type of sippy cup/straw cup imaginable and finally settled on the Munchkin sippy.  Before switching to these exclusively he was able to drink out of a straw.  I was later told by my pediatrician and have since done research that the straw cups are better for babies (both orthodontically and for speech development) but my little guy now has no clue what to do with a straw in his mouth.  I've tried the "pushing water up through the straw into his mouth technique" but he still doesn't get it.  It's as if he's forgotten that he needs to close his mouth around the straw and suck.

Any tips?  I would really like him to use the straw cups and think the earlier we switch the better.

Thanks!!

Re: Sippy Cup vs. Straw Cup

• Options
    We basically made our older one do the straw cup and I am really glad we did.  It was a lot easier out in public if I forgot a sippy cup since she could drink from a regular cup with a straw.  I will do the same with DS.  I would just keep offering the straw cup if that is the route you want to go.  Your baby doesn't really need the water and it's mostly just for practice so even if he doesn't get it now, he will soon and he's not suffering in the meantime.  If you give it a couple weeks, I'm sure he'll figure it out!  To avoid confusion I would get rid of the sippy and stick with the straw.  '

When we were getting DD to figure it out, I let her have a straw cup with water in it all the time.  I just put it out and she would play with it and stuff and she eventually got it.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    Try a different straw cup brand.  Some of them need more suction than others.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"