August 2011 Moms
Options

Paci free by Aug 29- help!

Hi all,

Ds is starting a new daycare on Aug 29 because his current in home provider is moving.  The new daycare is at a center and their rules say no pacifiers after age one.  They said we could keep one for emergencies but I feel it would be better to get rid of it once and for all.  He only uses it for nap and bedtime.  Never in the car if he naps there.  We have attempted to "throw away" the paci's and DS has helped throw them away.  We have 1 left.  I really want to stand strong this time.  When he goes to bed and goes to find his pacifier on his dresser and it is gone...what do I say?   Any tips or stories of what you did would be great.  I have a feeling around 9pm tonight I will need to read them!

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Paci free by Aug 29- help!

• Options

We just threw it away a couple of months ago and told DD that it was all gone. When she asked for it, I said she was a big girl and didn't need it. It was a rough couple of nights but then it was over. I say just deal with the anger and push through. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'll update tomorrow!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I know you want it to be gone, so this might not help at all...

But, my son uses a paci for sleep and in the car generally (And I'm working on not in the car...with him, it's out of sight, often out of mind...but I have an 8 month old, so it's not always out of sight...ANYWAY)...but he hasn't had a paci at school/daycare in a couple months.  He's pretty obsessed with it at home, asks for it often (and gets  mad when I say for bed only), and I think weaning him from it completely will be hard, but I'm not in any hurry.  The only point to my post is that you could easily ditch it at school and still have it at home if you decide that's the approach you want to have.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know you want it to be gone, so this might not help at all...

But, my son uses a paci for sleep and in the car generally (And I'm working on not in the car...with him, it's out of sight, often out of mind...but I have an 8 month old, so it's not always out of sight...ANYWAY)...but he hasn't had a paci at school/daycare in a couple months.  He's pretty obsessed with it at home, asks for it often (and gets  mad when I say for bed only), and I think weaning him from it completely will be hard, but I'm not in any hurry.  The only point to my post is that you could easily ditch it at school and still have it at home if you decide that's the approach you want to have.

The idea of not having it at daycare and only for bed has crossed my mind. I have one stubborn little boy so it may come down to that but I'm really hoping I can just stay strong and we can be done with it. Wishful thinking I guess!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

DS is the same. If we were in that position, I'd probably just ditch it for daycare and keep it at home. I'm terrified of ditching it completely.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Well, he's going to take his paci to college. I tried telling him that I didn't know where it was and it went bye bye. He was so sad and upset and would not sleep. Finally after 11 p.m. We decided to give it to him. DH "found" it in his room and let him have it.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I'm trying to do this now and it's not going well.  He gets it in the car and for bed/nap.  He doesn't have one at daycare so I know he can sleep without it.  I tried it last night and he was hysterical to the point I thought he was going to pass out.  He did ok for a few minutes but he was very confused.  Then he just started freaking the f out and DH wasn't home so I rocked him and gave it to him and he hugged me so hard but he still couldn't stop crying cause he had worked himself up so much.  He went to sleep like 5 minutes after I put him down and I felt horrible for the rest of the night. 

I really wanted to try to have it done by his 2nd birthday but I think I might need a little more time. 

• Options
    Update.. he took a nap at daycare without a paci!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I'm trying to do this now and it's not going well.  He gets it in the car and for bed/nap.  He doesn't have one at daycare so I know he can sleep without it.  I tried it last night and he was hysterical to the point I thought he was going to pass out.  He did ok for a few minutes but he was very confused.  Then he just started freaking the f out and DH wasn't home so I rocked him and gave it to him and he hugged me so hard but he still couldn't stop crying cause he had worked himself up so much.  He went to sleep like 5 minutes after I put him down and I felt horrible for the rest of the night. 

I really wanted to try to have it done by his 2nd birthday but I think I might need a little more time. 

Thanks for sharing. At least we know we aren't alone!
    CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"