April 2014 Moms

Shampoo and make-up

Have you ladies switched shampoo, conditioner and make-up? If so, what have you switched to? What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Shampoo and make-up

• Are we supposed to?  I've never heard of those things being bad....
  • Thanks for asking!!! I just started wondering this today and would love to hear what people say!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't switched and I didn't switch with my DS.  I still use drugstore brand makeup (some covergirl, some Revlon, some off brands), Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner (although, mid pregnancy last time I switched to Head and Shoulders because it helped keep my acne under control), Neutrogena face wash, and Dove body wash. 
    For me, its not a huge concern.  My midwife said that the amount of any chemical that is absorbed through my skin and crosses the placenta is negligible, so she doesn't enforce the switching that some doctors do.  She is more concerned with the things I actually ingest. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• I haven't switched from what I did pre pregnancy, but I use sulfur free shampoo/conditioner, make sure my facewash doesn't have salicylic acid, and I use make-up products that are "natural" and vegan.  I also use deodorant rather than an antiperspirant to avoid aluminum.  Regardless of being pregnant or not, I try to avoid chemicals if I can.  We get a lot of toxins from our environment as it is, no need to add to them if I can do something to avoid it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • Nope, still using Biolage shampoo/conditioner and Mac makeup... Hope it's ok?
    image    image    image    image

• Heck, no.  I figure that as long as I'm not eating my shampoo, not enough is getting into my system to do any damage. 
  • I do not think it is really necessary to change but I do prefer natural products anyway. I have sensitive skin and I do better with natural products. I like Burt's bees hair and body products. For face products I like Avalon Organics and Say yes to Carrots, and Tarte and bare minerals cosmetics. I also use Burt's Bees baby for my son. Most of the products I use (except bare minerals) are available at walmart and accessibility is important to me since I do not live in a big city.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I got my shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, face wash and face lotion at whole foods and target. They are sulfate, paraben, dye and phthalate free with almost all natural ingredients. I also love that say yes to carrots brand thats sold at target! Lots of good stuff out there!! Also switched to eating and drinking out of glass instead of plastic. Who really knows! There's such inconclusive research out there but I like using all natural anyways so I guess it works out!
  • I am probably on the paranoid side, but since my first pregnancy I have been using Aveda (which is pricey but amazing!) for makeup and hairs. I was also using a "miracle" anti age cream called eterna27 but I may set it aside for a few months...
  • I am trying to switch to all natural. It's hard though, everything I have tried doesn't work as well. Got some new shampoo and condish yesterday and my hair is straw.
  • I just asked my friend about this today! She has a beautiful healthy little girl and didn't change this stuff. She said she just watched what she ate...stayed away from unsafe foods.
  • I'm a fan of reducing my exposure to that stuff, pregnant or not. I do use traditional make-up for the most part, but I use all-natural shampoo, conditioner, face wash, etc (no parabens, pthalates, etc). I think the dangers of these things are more insidious than obvious birth defects, which of course would make everyone stop using them immediately. We don't really have a good handle on the long-term effects of these chemicals, so I'd rather avoid them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Also, hedgehog, @toothpastechica?? I too demand a photo!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• YESSSS! great... now I need one...

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"