Special Needs

Question about preschool

Lily has her preschool evaluation coming up in September. Then, shortly afterwards, she'll have her airway reconstruction. My guess is that she'll qualify for preschool simply because of her language delay (it is my understanding that fine and gross motor delays don't automatically qualify a child). However, barring any catastrophic surgery errors, I am also guessing she'll pick up speech rather quickly, as the only thing holding her back now is her trach. So, my question is this... If Lily's speech rapidly develop over the next year, will district preschool kick her out?
           image      image      image

Re: Question about preschool

• If she's nonambulatory I would imagine she would qualify for district preschool.  Does she also have a gtube?  

DS1 is nonambulatory and our district from the first moment they met him set they wouldn't service him in district,but he would qualify for services. 
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Oh wow, I didn't know that was an 'option.'. She is nonambulatory, and does have a g-tube. But, she will have her wheelchair in a couple weeks. I guess we'll just have to see what they say in September.
               image      image      image
  • Loading the player...
  • JoJoGee said:
    Oh wow, I didn't know that was an 'option.'. She is nonambulatory, and does have a g-tube. But, she will have her wheelchair in a couple weeks. I guess we'll just have to see what they say in September.
    Our district in no way would tube feed a child.  I know that 100%, they would send them to a private school with more qualified school nurses.  
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I'm assuming it depends on the school itself, which vary in assistance.

Children with IEPs (in my state) are said to be reevaluated every 3yrs at a minimum, however evals can be every 3mo, 1yr, etc.  It depends on the childs individual needs.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Fine and gross motor delays aren't automatic qualifiers, but with Lily's challenges, I don't think you will have any challenge demonstrating that her delays affect her educationally. Fine motor delays are pretty easy to show she will need OT to...draw, color, write, stack, build, etc. Gross motor delays - she may be getting a wheelchair, but...does she need some assistance to navigate the halls, learn to move around the room, will she get a stander, gait trainer that she may need work to learn to use? How does she play with peers? Is she ready to catch a ball, roll a ball, etc? What help might she need to access the class from an adaptive perspective. How will you/they get her ready to wash her hands by herself, put on her backpack (hat, coat), etc. Some of those may seem really out of reach, others she may already do. But they are all educational. DS's PT goals are all directed at recess basically. But that is a very important part (to me) of preschool and even K/1. At least DS's school district agreed.

• I would think that she may qualify under orthopedic impairment if she is non-ambulatory and is going to have a wheelchair...or at least that may be a possibility of how she will qualify.  I really do not think she will have any issues qualifying. DS2 has CP and that is what he qualified under. He gets OT and PT through the school (did not qualify for speech). He uses a wheelchair for distance and his walker inside the classroom and on the playground (they wheel him in the chair to the playground but also bring the walker so he can get around and then have to physically help him access any of the equipment).  DS2 has a wide variety of goals in his IEP. The PT ones are really general so I will be having those be more specific but he has OT goals, potty training goals, feeding goals (using a spoon is the one I know immediately), and social goals also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"