August 2013 Moms

OMG!! Induction by surprise tomorrow!!

Am just so overwhelmed...literally left my OB's office n I want to cry...she says I have to be induced tomorrow coz I am officially 41 weeks and 1 day -( and they don't have any dates available next week)...I really didn't want an induction...I really feel like I have no choice now coz they won't let me go past 42 weeks anyway...

So anyone with any idea how induction feels? I researched so much on it and it says most people end up with a c- section...any mums who were induced successfully? Please advise...anything I can do btwn now n tmrw to induce labor naturally? Too many questions..will appreciate your response...

Re: OMG!! Induction by surprise tomorrow!!

• DD is 1 week old. I was induced and it lasted 6 hours and I had her vaginally.

• Oh really..that was it? Thanks for the encouragement...she told me it could take 48 hrs so it got me so scared...
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced with both of mine and had them vaginally. First induction took 9.5 hours, second induction took 7 hours. Good luck! I know it can be hard to let go of the "plan," but in the end, the most important thing is that you and baby stay healthy.
  • Thank you..those time frames sound reasonable...9.5 and 7 hrs....I pray mine is short too :)
  • It just entirely depends on how ready your body is. I was  induced early for both of my babies and labor was around 24 hours. Hopefully since you are past term it won't take as long.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Thanks...very encouraging @ crogers19!! I thank GOD for this posts...y'all so wonderful I can get my breath back...
  • Induced with DD. No complications and I delivered vaginally after 8 hours of labor.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • My first was induced after my water started to leak. It was a 24 hour labor, but she came out vaginally and was fine, happy, not distressed. Even though it was a really long labor, time passes really fast and weird.

I think you may have been reading something prone to exaggeration. While induction increases the risk of a c-section, the majority of induced labors do not result in a c-section.

If you aren't dilating well, I recommend getting an epi. During y induction I stayed at 2 for like 16 - 18 hours and finally just said, "I want an epi now." and I was ready to push in 3 hours. Just a thought.

• I was going to be induced and went into labor on my own about 6 hours beforehand. My mother always went over and had to be induced twice yet had 3 vaginal births. Try to stay calm either way- stress is not good for you or the baby! Good luck! :):)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just wanted to say good luck!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

OaD August siggy challenge- fav show that's off the air:

http://media.giphy.com/media/ZzQxOlqIUfHfG/giphy.gif
  • With #1 I was very nervous about getting induced also.  So the day before I was supposed to be induced at 39 weeks I decided to try to induce naturally.  I looked up videos on youtube on how to use acupressure to induce labor and gave it a try - LOL.  I had DH apply the pressure to the points on my feet and ankles the night before my scheduled induction.  I don't know if it worked, or just happened to be time... But, I went to bed and woke up 4 hrs later in full labor,  contractions 3 minutes apart.  I never had any signs before that that labor was impending (no contractions, no loss of mucus plug, nothing).  Now I'm afraid to even get a foot rub this time around!
    BabyFetus Ticker 1 year old and another on the way!!
  • I was induced with 2 of mine. My first was a 10 hour labor and the second was a 9 hour labor. Both delivered vaginal.
    imageimageimageimage

• I was induced Sunday night and had my baby Monday night. Delivered vaginally.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I was induced with my first and it was a long process. 48 hours from start to finish, 36 hours of labor. However, it was successful in the end and I was able to have DS1 vaginally with no complications. Good luck!

• I wasn't induced, but my SIL was, and her labor lasted 4 hours and her LO was born after 4 pushes and no tearing. It just depends on your body.
  • I was induced with my first and hqd him vaginally with no problems. I'm getting induced tomorrow and have no worries!
  • I will try that acupressure thingie!! May work for me...thanks
  • Thank you so much ladies!' Very very reassuring...I can do this !!! Amen!!
  • It's great when they work out well, but that's not always the case. I was induced last Wednesday at 40+6, and had a CS Thursday (41w), more than 24 hours after it started for failure to progress (among other developing issues).

GL, I hope things go smoothly for you!
    image"">imageimageimage

• BellaOso said:
    My first was induced after my water started to leak. It was a 24 hour labor, but she came out vaginally and was fine, happy, not distressed. Even though it was a really long labor, time passes really fast and weird.

I think you may have been reading something prone to exaggeration. While induction increases the risk of a c-section, the majority of induced labors do not result in a c-section.

If you aren't dilating well, I recommend getting an epi. During y induction I stayed at 2 for like 16 - 18 hours and finally just said, "I want an epi now." and I was ready to push in 3 hours. Just a thought.
    It's close to 50% of inductions in FTMs ending in a c/s and getting an epi can slow labor. 

OP, talk to your doctor about your fears and concerns. If the baby handles the fake contractions fine and you fail to progress there is no reason they can't turn the pit off and give you more time to go naturally. It is not your problem that they "don't have time" to get you in next week and don't let them bully you into something you're not comfortable with. Placentas don't deteriorate over night and there are a variety of non invasive ways to check for this. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced and it was a super easy birth. I was in labor for about 9.5 hours, and got an epi about 6 hours in at 4 cm. Three hours later I was at 10 and pushed for less than 20 minutes. Good luck hope everything goes smoothly!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was induced and was in labor for about 15hrs...I still had my baby vaginally...the contractions were worse than the pushing, but if you're getting an epidural you'll be ok! It would suck to get a c section but if you have to, just remember its the best thing for your baby and you! You will do great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started balloon dilation at 5pm, they broke my water and started pitocin at 6 or 7am the next morning and I had her vaginally at 3:37pm. I was going to hold out for an epidural, but the contractions were not fun at all with pitocin. The epidural let me rest...basically all day..until it was time to push. Overall, my induction experience was great.
  • I was induced with my first and it took 9 hours after that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • BellaOso said:
    My first was induced after my water started to leak. It was a 24 hour labor, but she came out vaginally and was fine, happy, not distressed. Even though it was a really long labor, time passes really fast and weird.

It's close to 50% of inductions in FTMs ending in a c/s and getting an epi can slow labor. 

OP, talk to your doctor about your fears and concerns. If the baby handles the fake contractions fine and you fail to progress there is no reason they can't turn the pit off and give you more time to go naturally. It is not your problem that they "don't have time" to get you in next week and don't let them bully you into something you're not comfortable with. Placentas don't deteriorate over night and there are a variety of non invasive ways to check for this. 
    Yes, it CAN in some cases... but in others it CAN also help you dilate. (See several stories from moms who had epis after not dilating on this board who ended up successfully delivering naturally.) It depends on the person, the pregnancy and the baby.

• BellaOso said:

BellaOso said:

Yes, it CAN in some cases... but in others it CAN also help you dilate. (See several stories from moms who had epis after not dilating on this board who ended up successfully delivering naturally.) It depends on the person, the pregnancy and the baby.

Ditto @BellaOso... I labored for 8 hours with my first on pit and only dilated to 3. I got the epi and went from 3 to 10 in 30 minutes.
  • I didn't say it will. I said it can. The more interventions the more likely a c/s is to occur and an epi is an additional intervention. I wasn't saying she shouldn't get it, I was providing it as a piece of information so she can, if she chooses, do additional research. 

I had an epi with DD and it unquestionably slowed by labor, but I didn't provide that as a point of reference because who knows how she's going to respond. My experience doesn't apply to hers. Thank God I had an amazing care provider who let me spend 5 more hours laboring to get from 8 to 10cm and didn't call it "failure to progress," but statistics of FTMs? Those types of doctors are far and few between. 

Nearly 50% of FTMs are induced, for whom the risk of a c/s is then doubled. If the OP's fear is c/s she should to be aware of that. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"