LGBT Parenting

Health and Wellness Check In

Seems appropriate, since I am on my way to my annual physical.  How were things this week?

QOTW: What do you think is your most difficult challenge as far as health goes?
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Health and Wellness Check In

• Things are great here. I've been eating at home about 90% of the time, which has been so nice. I am cooking a lot and making the right choices. WOO!

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• Well, for me this has been a mixed bag since our wellness check-in last week.

After 5 days of eating less than 60g carbs per day, I was miserable. It turns out that it was a struggle for me to eat 1100 cals a day when eating less than 60g carbs. 2 of the 5 days I came in at less than 1000 cals. I was starving ALL the time. My wife basically had a mini intervention with me and told me to snap out of it. HA! I needed that. She said that she felt my best option would be to be mindful of the carbs I was consuming (roughly, not counting and measuring and tracking) and to be a bit less restrictive with fruit and other "good carbs" and to not be aiming for weight loss or anything drastic in the next couple of weeks and just try to make good choices.

I reluctantly agreed that would be our best approach. SOOO... I have tried to be more moderate. I have stopped "counting" and am just trying to be healthy and not eat a ton of carbs. I think it is true that I shouldn't shock my system with any major changes during/right before IVF if I don't have to, so I am just trying to be a bit more relaxed while still making good choices.

QOTW: Well, based on the above, I think it is somewhat obvious that the most difficult challenge for me when it comes to wellness is being moderate and finding a middle ground. I tend to be an all-or-nothing type, and I am either "dieting" or "cheating" and don't really know what long term "normal" healthy eating looks like for me. I am a perfectionist, I have body image issues, and control issues... soooo, perfect storm for actually taking healthy to the extreme to where it becomes unhealthy. I think my body is meant to be slightly curvy, and that is OK. I am 5'7" and I have broad shoulders and a bigger bone structure, so when I got down to 140 lbs, I really think I was borderline too think for my frame. That and I was miserable b/c I truly had to deprive myself to maintain that weight. Long story short (or less long -- I know I am a bag of wind, I'm sorry!), my biggest challenge is finding a middle ground where I am comfy and don't need to justify every choice that I make.

I am a work in progress.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Loading the player...
  • I have done nothing healthy recently. Well, that's not entirely true (I have been playing baseball), but it feels like it.

I'm thinking about joining a DietBet game and M suggested that we might make a Bump DietBet game. So I just posted about that in a separate thread.

QOTW: I think I'm like KH826 with moderation as my main difficulty when it comes to eating. Also, recently, I've gotten heavy enough that my body hurts when/after I exercise, which is a disincentive to exercising ...
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • KH826 said:

Well, for me this has been a mixed bag since our wellness check-in last week.

After 5 days of eating less than 60g carbs per day, I was miserable. It turns out that it was a struggle for me to eat 1100 cals a day when eating less than 60g carbs. 2 of the 5 days I came in at less than 1000 cals. I was starving ALL the time. My wife basically had a mini intervention with me and told me to snap out of it. HA! I needed that. She said that she felt my best option would be to be mindful of the carbs I was consuming (roughly, not counting and measuring and tracking) and to be a bit less restrictive with fruit and other "good carbs" and to not be aiming for weight loss or anything drastic in the next couple of weeks and just try to make good choices.

I reluctantly agreed that would be our best approach. SOOO... I have tried to be more moderate. I have stopped "counting" and am just trying to be healthy and not eat a ton of carbs. I think it is true that I shouldn't shock my system with any major changes during/right before IVF if I don't have to, so I am just trying to be a bit more relaxed while still making good choices.

QOTW: Well, based on the above, I think it is somewhat obvious that the most difficult challenge for me when it comes to wellness is being moderate and finding a middle ground. I tend to be an all-or-nothing type, and I am either "dieting" or "cheating" and don't really know what long term "normal" healthy eating looks like for me. I am a perfectionist, I have body image issues, and control issues... soooo, perfect storm for actually taking healthy to the extreme to where it becomes unhealthy. I think my body is meant to be slightly curvy, and that is OK. I am 5'7" and I have broad shoulders and a bigger bone structure, so when I got down to 140 lbs, I really think I was borderline too think for my frame. That and I was miserable b/c I truly had to deprive myself to maintain that weight. Long story short (or less long -- I know I am a bag of wind, I'm sorry!), my biggest challenge is finding a middle ground where I am comfy and don't need to justify every choice that I make.

I am a work in progress.

I agree with your love! Counting is just going to make it stressful. Being more mindful will be incredibly beneficial. I have also become more mindful of carbs and though I don't know if I have lost weight, I definitely feel better when I eat! 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• I'm eating a bowl of strawberries as I type this.. Does that count?
    I'm almost officially 5 months smoke free and I have not had a Starbucks frap since my last iui which was 7-24 :) my wallet loves me the most ;) I'm eating more raisins and gogi berries instead if chips and crackers. I'm 6w0d and I'm so bloated I changed 4 times this morning because I didn't want people to ask if I am pregnant because we are waiting until at least 12 weeks!

Qotw: I am a sucker for sweets I will eat a whole cake or pan of brownies if my DW would let me! My mom had GD with all 3 of us kids and I'm already a plus size girl so I'm pretty nervous that my eating habits will effect my pregnancy
  • Well, I cried at my annual physical this morning when my PCP lectured me about my weight, so I can really use this check-in today. I am 45 lbs above my goal weight, which is still 40 lbs below what I started at when I lost the 85 lbs 2 years ago, but it's a big increase and definitely upsets me, especially since one of my main motivators when losing was to be at a healthy weight for pregnancy. My PCP knows everything we've been going through and understands why I'm struggling to keep my weight down, but was basically like, "It doesn't matter, you can make a change going forward and it will be better for you." She pointed out that IF/miscarriage has made me feel like I don't have control over my body and that my weight, eating and exercise habits are something I can control -- which is true. So --deep breath. I promised her I would walk every day (currently I go to the gym to walk/run 3x a week and occasionally take a not-very-strenuous walk in addition to that). I'm thinking about starting a yoga class and have been getting advice on that from @2Mamaz. I called my wife crying after my appointment and she vowed that we would both start getting healthier, so at least she's motivated to do it with me (she needs to lose weight too, but she's not about to try carrying a baby).

QOTW: 1) Sugar. I have a wicked sweet tooth, or as my friend called it, a "sweet fang." 2) I. LOVE. FOOD. I know there are people out there who eat to live but I do not understand them. I love pretty much everything about eating, and most of my hobbies (cooking, eating out, reading cookbooks and food writing) revolve around food. 3) Like @KH, I have issues with moderation. When I'm following WW, I'm great. But when I go "off plan" for a week (or longer), I go WAY off plan. I'll say to myself, "I should get a doughnut today because next week I'll be back on WW and won't be able to have one." I don't know how to eat healthy if I'm not tracking (or I know HOW, but can't implement it). And one of my current issues is that I am not supposed to run per my PT (hip issue), and I feel like walking isn't exercising, so if I can't run I just do nothing, and if I'm not exercising why bother eating healthy.....etc. 4) I hate exercising. There are some types of exercise (running, walking, pilates) I am willing to do but I don't necessarily enjoy them; there are a lot of things I hate so much I just won't do them (aerobic/dance classes, the step machine, pretty much all sports).
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am glad to read this! I so need it!

I was 170 lbs pre pregnancy, I am down to 165 lbs today. I wish I could say that this is due to me being super healthy, it isn't though. I am pretty sure that breastfeeding is doing most of the work for me. With the reflux diagnosis, along with everything else that came from my blood tests, I have been eating less of the 'danger' foods, but honestly, most of those things are healthy foods that aren't fattening. Garlic, onions, tomato sauces, chocolate etc are things that I love and are healthy (chocolate in moderation of course). I am eating a lot of bland food and trying to figure out how to get good flavour in food without my usual suspects - garlic and onions. 

When I moved to the US from London I was a well toned 150ish lbs. Still about 20lbs above my 'healthy' weight, but honestly, I am curvy with a big bottom, and to me that is a healthy weight for me. I was a us size 8 on top and 10 on the bottom. Now I am tightly squeezing into a 12 on the bottom and the top is a firm 12 too. I am getting into some of my pre pregnancy jeans. What I didn't take seriously is how much your body changes post baby. My hips are definitely wider, and I have a little belly overhang that is making closing trousers tough.

OK, so goals - I want to get moving again, get back to yoga, tone up and get down to 150lbs. I would LOVE for the weight to drop before I go back to work on the 17th of September. I'll stop buying ice cream. (sniff)
    IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"