August 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD?

I may be getting ahead of myself here but Hospice told us yesterday that Dh's dad may only have 2 weeks before he passes.

My head is spinning on what to do with the kids. I will bring Dom to wake/funeral but what about Sophia?

Would you take your toddler? What's the protocol?

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    I'm thinking along with MrsSkull. Maybe bring her to the wake since most funeral homes have a refreshment room. I just think going to both would be a lot to ask of a toddler.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Shan first off I am so sorry. I must have missed a post. Sending our T&P's with you and your family. ::big hugs::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will say that everyone was really upset that I didn't bring the boys to my aunt's house the morning my grandmother died. I brought them to her 'celebration of life' as she didn't want a funeral. It was REALLY difficult for me. The boys just wanted to entertain themselves but we weren't in a kid friendly place. I had to chase them, correct them, distract and redirect them the entire time.
    I left early and as soon as the boys fell asleep I broke down crying. That was supposed to be my opportunity to remember my grandmother and I got to do nothing of the sort. I still regret taking them. Jay was taking his GMAT, so I was on my own for the event. With it being your FIL I assume it will be similar for you since DH will probably be very distracted.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's what I'm trying to figure out, if I can bring my sister with me(she would visit anyway) and maybe even have her take Sophia home.

I feel like I should bring her to part of it like @Lalamama81 suggested.

@JasonandKristin, that's what I'm afraid of. I want to be able to be there for Dh 100% and I can't if I'm chasing a 2yo.
  • Options

I think it depends on your family and the child, and also on how you and your H grieve.

My family would want me to bring the kids, and I would probably want them there to distract me from crying in public. DH would probably want them there, too, just for something to talk about besides feelings/sadness/death. That's just how we are.

I'm really sorry - T&Ps for you and your family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks guys. And CrashIntoMe1, you are too kind.

I think I made up mind and I will take her to the wake and not the funeral.

Again, thanks for the support.
  • Options
    T&P to you and your family!  I am going to ditto what everyone else said.  If you could have someone go with you that is what I would do. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    I am really sorry Shan :(
    I took the girls to my friend's mom's funeral this winter. I did spend the better part of my time finding ways to keep them quiet, but they really didn't bother anyone - but me. Had it been for a close family member, I would have wanted to really be able to listen to it all, so I vote you try and find someone to occupy Sophia during the funeral.
    ::hugs::
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks guys, Dh is certainly not himself. He doesn't believe the hospice nurse so I think he's in denial. These nurses are in this buisness for reason. But I'm letting him cope the way he chooses. Ugh, this sucks.
  • Options

I personally wouldn't take a toddler unless it was their parent or sibling that passed. 

Many hugs to you and your family during this time. 
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"