C-sections
Options

Reaction to spinal?

Have any of you had a reaction from the spinal? I had an epidural with my first and was in labor 12 hrs before I ended up having a c-sec and was fine. With DS#2 it was a scheduled c-sec and so I had a spinal. It gave me the worst reaction and I had an internal itch for 48 hrs. There was nothing they could do for me except benadryl and it didn't work. Not sure if it was from the morphine or just a freak reaction. Has this happened to anyone else?
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Reaction to spinal?

• Options
    Yeah, they gave me IV meds for it but it didn't work. I was literally scratching my face off! Hoping it doesn't happen if we have another one!
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    My face and torso itched horribly during the c/s and in recovery. My belly still has itchiness 2wks later, but it's getting better. They said it was a very common side effect of the spinal.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've read that itching/sensations and headache can be common side effects of either epis or spinals.  I'm sorry to hear you had that experience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jefkjefk member
    I had a spinal and was incredibly itchy for the rest of the day.  I also threw up bile every 20 minutes for 4-5 hours afterward.
  • Options
    I was itchy for about 2 days.  They said it was from the morphine.  No idea, I don't remember itching after my first c/s, maybe I was too occupied with the twins.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I was super itchy and they said it was the morphine. I was so itchy in the face and was new at breast feeding and didn't have a free hand to itch so I was biting my lips. I ended up with blisters then scabs then cold sore. Not hot. 19 days pp and my lips are finally clearing up. What a treat. I'll be more conscious of this should I have another c section. Benadryl barely helped. Hated it.

• Options
    With my first I was super itchy for almost 2 days and they told me it was the morphine. With my 2nd they gave me something different and I had zero problems. I would bring it up to the anesthesiologist and see if they can try something besides morphine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was SO itchy, and shakey too it was awful.

But then about 14 hours PP my legs felt AMAZING. It was like they had never been touched before, and I felt like I was having orgasms in my feet (super weird tmi sorry)
  • Options

But then about 14 hours PP my legs felt AMAZING. It was like they had never been touched before, and I felt like I was having orgasms in my feet (super weird tmi sorry)
    I'll take the orgasm feeling after being itchy! LOL
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Yes, I had a spinal and it left me itching like crazy! They gave me singulair and Benadryl which helped a little. I also shook like a leaf. I was so shaky I was afraid to hold my baby at first for fear of dropping him!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    No reaction to the spinal, other than it didn't work.
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ACSoup said:

I'll take the orgasm feeling after being itchy! LOL

I'll take that too!!  I itched unlike anything in my life for 24 hours.  When I itched myself it was almost better than sex, lol.  I also had extreme shaking for 3 hours after.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options
    My face itched like crazy! I also got what they called a spinal headache. It felt like a migraine. It hurt worse than my incision! They had me drink lots of caffeine to help with the headache. Downed lots of soda and amazingly it worked.
  • Options

Shaky was the big reaction for me.  It was the most awful feeling in the world and honestly completely took away from the experience for me.  I didn't even want to hold DS for several hours afterwords because I was afraid I would drop him.  =((
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"