Parenting after a Loss
Options

Q about progesterone supplementation while TTC

I don't have a TTC board that I participate in but I was hoping there are some ladies on here that can share their experiences with progesterone with me.  Did any of you monitor cycles before and after supplementing with progesterone?  I was on progesterone with my last pregnancy but didn't start it until after my BFP, so this is new territory for me.

After having DS, my cycles took a while to return, and once they did my LP proved to be quite short (9 to 10 days).  Since I was BFing, I waited it out and monitored it for a long while, hoping that it would improve.  Unfortunately it didn't improve, so my OB prescribed me progesterone to see if that would lengthen it.  From the threads I've read online, progesterone seems to be pretty successful in keeping AF away for the vast majority of women, and many have to come off of it for a couple of days before AF shows up.  My stupid body on the other hand didn't seemed to care about the progesterone this past cycle (my first cycle with prometrium), and I got AF while on progesterone.  It only lengthened my LP to 11 days, which is still short of the 12 days my OB told me she would like to see.

So now I'm holding out hope that the progesterone wasn't very successful because it was my first cycle taking it, and that this cycle is bound to be better.  Am I being unrealistic here?  Did any of you see a continued improvement in LP length as you went further into treatment?  Part of my pessimism stems from the fact that when I called the nurse to see if I should continue with the rest of my progesterone pills after AF showed up early, her response was "That's a good question.  I don't know.  I'll have to ask."  It's pretty apparent that my body is not responding in the typical way, so I'm feeling even more like my body is busted.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

Re: Q about progesterone supplementation while TTC

• Options
    If I remember correctly, I had to start taking Prometrium at 2DPO through either a BFP or AF, whichever came about first.  I never had the experience of AF stopping completely (to be fair, I only had 3 cycles of it before getting my BFP with DD), what happened is it seemed like that was going to happen, but she always showed up, indicating that my LP was lengthening.

I actually remember calling my OB at one point asking if I should come off of it to start AF and was told "no".

Even if you only got a day extra, that is still a day closer to your "goal" of 12 days.  Only because you asked, I do think you are being a tad unrealistic expecting everything to be at 100% on your first cycle of taking it.

Prometrium definitely worked for me.  GL!

• Options
    @anitaflora I believe you have experience with this

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For all my cycles i started at 3dpo and stopped with a negative beta.  Taking progesterone now doesnt affect future cycles (if im reading your question correctly).... and once you get AF definitely dont continue any progesterone!
    ~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options
    I started crinone at 3 dpo with both boys. I don't have any progesterone issues but my RE does this with all patients. I don't know if it was part of the success or just a placebo for us but we weren't willing to find out and just repeated it with 2.0. It helps with implantation so I think anyone with LP issues should give it a shot
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did have to stop the crinone in order for AF to start
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first cycle with prometrium turned out to be my BFP cycle. I had also used Clomid and HcG trigger, so the prometrium didn't do all of the work alone. I was told by the pharmacist to not expect great results in my first medicated cycle (with any of the medications). Personally, I think your additional day added to your LP is a big success, and you should absolutely stop the prometrium when you get AF (a full-flow CD1 that is) so your body can start a new cycle. Good luck with this next cycle! I hope it results in either a 12 day LP or a BFP!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was on progesterone suppositories starting 3 days after ovulation but like ct103, I was also on clomid and the HCG trigger shot. I was officially diagnosed with a LP defect. 

Each cycle is independent, meaning that the progesterone that you are using works for that cycle in particular. 

You may want to talk to your Ob in reference to ways of lengthening LP that are not just progesterone. A luteal phase defect is not always just an issue of the luteal phase. Sometimes the follicular phase (from CD1 to Ovulation) is not functioning properly and if this is the case, it will in turn affect your LP. This is where clomid is useful. Clomid makes a "stronger" ovulation, which means you get a nicer corpus luteum cyst when you ovulate. The corpus luteum cyst makes progesterone in the luteal phase so if you have a better corpus luteum cyst then that potentially leads to more progesterone. Where the problem is is not always clear but RE's tend to use an endometrial biopsy to determine if there is indeed an issue. Best of luck! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Thanks for the input, ladies.  I really hope this cycle is better and I don't end up needing another med to get things straight.  I was told that if my LP didn't improve after a couple of cycles, to give the OB a call back, so I'm guessing that means I would be onto Clomid or something along those lines.
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

• Options
    RachaelA said:
    We were all set to start clomid for my LP issue, but ended up getting pregnant my first cycle on progesterone this time. like you, I started taking it last time at 8dpo when I got my BFP with E.

Honestly, I consider anything 10+ days a LP success. Being used to spotting from 6 or 7dpo on, no spotting at 10 or 11 is huge for me.
    I was hoping you would chime in. :)  I knew you went on progesterone this time but didn't know what your LP looked like prior to it.  Spotting at 6 or 7 dpo really sucks.  It makes me feel optimistic though since your two little ladies didn't seem to mind your short LP too much!
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

• Options
    Have you tried Raspberry leaf tea or any other home remedies for your LP?  Its worked for a few people i know.  I used to get it on Amazon.  Just make sure you get Raspberry Leaf, not Red Rasbperry.
    ~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options
    Shaungela said:
    Have you tried Raspberry leaf tea or any other home remedies for your LP?  Its worked for a few people i know.  I used to get it on Amazon.  Just make sure you get Raspberry Leaf, not Red Rasbperry.

I tried raspberry leaf tea for a couple of cycles, and noticed no difference whatsoever.  I didn't drink but a cup or two a day though, so higher dosages might've helped.  I ran out of the tea and forgot to get more, so that's really the only reason I stopped it.

I've been taking B-6 for several cycles as well.  I started off with a low dosage and have increased it over time with no impact.

I tried Vitex for a couple of cycles but was cautious about it because I had read both really good and really bad stories about what it did for different women.  Because of that, I only took it leading up to O and didn't take as large of a dose as instructed since i had been ovulating regularly and was afraid that it might goof that up.  There was no impact to my LP the two cycles I took Vitex but it did move ovulation back from CD 16 or 17 to CD 20 and 22.  I skipped the Vitex last cycle but still didn't O until CD 21, so I'm not sure if that's lasting Vitex impact or if my 3 month streak of CD 16 or 17 O was a fluke.  Admittedly, it's not a very controlled experiment I'm running here. :)

August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"