Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Standing (and falling)

ok, so LO just started to pull himself up on everything to stand about a week or so ago - he has had quite a number of falls and crys and quite a few successful getting down. I feel as if I have to hover around him every minute now because I'm afraid he is going to fall and hit his head on the floor - which he has done several times now. But now I feel like I am being to helpful because when I catch him he thinks it is fun and I'm not always going to be there. Should I just let him fall within reason? What have you done if you have been there done that? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Standing (and falling)

• Options
    I think this is pretty common. When DS started pulling himself up he constantly had bruises on his forehead. They just have to learn to get from standing to sitting. I didn't hover over him but I did make sure he wasn't going to hurt himself. I didn't let him practice on hard surfaces such as linoleum until he got standing on carpet down. I also put up corner guards on the tv stand so he wouldn't fall and cut his head open. He did fall on the carpet many times but he never really hurt himself. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jennygirlmtjennygirlmt member
    edited August 2013
    I only made sure she was in safe areas.  She actually learned to get down pretty quickly. DD1 took forever to get down after pulling up, I think she was 8-9 months when she pulled up but then she would just cry there until we helped her down for at least a month or two after :-) DD2 figured it out after about 2 weeks. We don't have carpet, so I hovered a little bit but if you have carpet I'd let him work out learning to get down. It should be a short phase.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS started pulling up about 10 days ago. At first I was always by him to catch him (we have hardwood floors). But then I noticed that he'd simply let go and fall into me instead of learning to fall "safely".

So we practiced him falling onto his bottom, making it fun like a game.  After that, I started moving away from DS, staying 2-3 feet away. He'd turn around and try to fall into me, but then realize I'm too far away to catch him, so he started learning to fall safely himself. He might whine for several seconds but I didn't go rescue him. He learned to get down pretty quickly after that.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    I was over protective. I hovered and caught him but also taught him to fall on his butt. He is a pro now. I think they are going to fall and like pp said if you make it safe they will be ok. We have hardwood floors and I bought a larger rug and added patting to help soften the blow. Like I said overprotective here but this has help me let go a little
    1st BFP 10/11/11. MMC 9wks 3days.Measuring 6wks 1day D&C 11/15/11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers "http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"